Poster strategies

Mr. Jones, stop reading this and get back to work!
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Re: Poster strategies

Post by Alabama Woody »

By plastic, they mean something similar to what the newspapers are put in when it might rain, except a lil thicker.

The Ryman will not let you go out once your in, I was at the Feist show last week and they wouldn't let me out. At Jacks show there will probably not be much sitting, so you can put your stuff on the bench, try not to sit on it.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
sandmaniac3
Little Acorn

Post by sandmaniac3 »

You could also slip it under the pew at the Ryman. Either way, be careful. As far as shows where they do let you have a tube, you can make something like I did for the Webster Hall show. I took a poster tube and weather/beer-proofed it by covering it in duct tape. Then I attached a duffel bag shoulder strap to the tube. I was able to get a poster right away and protect it in a crowd. Plus it had the benefit of being wearable, so I didn't have to worry about holding onto it or keeping it safe on the floor. Also, it provided a buffer behind me, so people weren't able to push right up against me. Multifunctional!
Has everything you said today been true?
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

You're a genius. That's the sort of thing TMR ought to be producing in TMR colors, with special blue/black collectibles for selected Jack shows, all-black Black Belles versions, etc. I mean, you only need one slipmat or 45 adapter, but these things could go end up battle-scarred and need regular replacing.
sandmaniac3
Little Acorn

Post by sandmaniac3 »

I'm actually working on a prototype of a nicer version to throw up on etsy. I'll keep you posted. But it is easy enough to make your own crude version like I did.
suttree
Little Cream Soda

Post by suttree »

An FYI for those going to Asheville. I called The Orange Peel today and the nice lady that answered said poster tubes were OK.

I also have a question. Are the rail and getting a poster mutually exclusive?
<JackWhite> suttree: who doesn't love lillie mae?
sandmaniac3
Little Acorn

Post by sandmaniac3 »

suttree wrote:An FYI for those going to Asheville. I called The Orange Peel today and the nice lady that answered said poster tubes were OK.

I also have a question. Are the rail and getting a poster mutually exclusive?
If you want to take the time to wait for hours and hours to be first in line, you should be able to run to the merch booth first and still get a spot on the rail. It will be close, but I think it is doable. If you make good friends with the other people in the front of the line, you can have them save a little space for you near the rail. This is not always possible, but I have seen it work. BTW, my opinion is that the best rail spot for a Jack show is closer to the drummer than the middle. My favorite moments are when he plays to the drummer. He gets in his own world and rocks out hard. Usually this is just off center, so while everyone else rushes to be in front of his mic, you might still get a spot there and enjoy it more.
laurelei
Little Bird

Post by laurelei »

suttree wrote:
notwdrums18 wrote:
c0rpe wrote:
shaneoftheroad wrote:Careful though. At the Ryman last year they didn't allow poster tubes inside. Everyone who brought tubes had to leave them outside. I got stopped by security after buying my poster because they thought it was a tube. Then Mandy ended up sitting on the poster, creasing it for life. Luckily I no longer trade or sell posters from shows I actually attend. :)
This is what i'm afraid of... though I dont really see why you couldnt bring in a cardboard tube. Security is so funny sometimes.

I like the coat check idea!
I always bring a plastic poster tube with me. Fits in my pocket, security doesn't care about it, and it keeps the poster safe...unless you sit on it... So far, haven't had a problem with plastic tubes though. Good luck!
Where did you get this? When I google plastic poster tube I get something that definitely would not fit in my pocket.
They are speaking of a plastic sleeve, rather than a tube- like when you used to buy posters at the 5 and dime, they come in a tight fitting plastic sleeve....
"Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it."
- Mark Twain
Bob_Roberts
Little Cream Soda

Post by Bob_Roberts »

At the red rocks show, they had tubes with crimped ends on sale for $3.00. I felt like I was the only person around who brought their own tube.
maxman142001
Little Ghost

Post by maxman142001 »

At the Shrine shows there was a bunch of people with tubes...most looked like flippers and not fans. I bought a tube for my poster since I was sleeping in an airport and flying home with it.
<<Jack White>> @Maxman142001 'let me tell you about my baby she was born out in arizona..."
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

I always bring a tube. I'll keep it between my legs and/or have my wife hold on to it. ( ;) )
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

maxman142001 wrote:At the Shrine shows there was a bunch of people with tubes...most looked like flippers and not fans. I bought a tube for my poster since I was sleeping in an airport and flying home with it.
How exactly does some one "look like a flipper"?
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
skullfeast
Little Bird

Post by skullfeast »

I feel like a bit of a nuisance when I do this, but the past few shows I have been to, I asked the merch people if I can leave it with them. They seem pretty nice about it, but it would be a pain for them if everyone asked. I pick it up after the show, and it's in great condition. The Tulsa show I lucked out, they didn't have posters ready that night, so they mailed me mine a week or so later. If neither of these options work, the tube idea is a good one. Probably what I will do at the next show.
Melon
Little Ghost

Post by Melon »

Bob_Roberts wrote:At the red rocks show, they had tubes with crimped ends on sale for $3.00. I felt like I was the only person around who brought their own tube.
they were charging $5 in LA!!!!

oh well, i kept it used it for night two and will probably be able to use it again at some point. (i saved it)
houses are full of things that gather dust
Black Matt
Little Bird

Post by Black Matt »

The bartender at the omaha show held onto mine for me. I slipped her a ten even though she said I didn't need to. Well worth it to not have to worry about it while rocking out front row. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a poster at the Tulsa or Red Rocks shows:( If anyone has one to sell I would be forever grateful!
grumblestiltskin
Little Ghost

Post by grumblestiltskin »

Melon wrote:
Bob_Roberts wrote:At the red rocks show, they had tubes with crimped ends on sale for $3.00. I felt like I was the only person around who brought their own tube.
they were charging $5 in LA!!!!

oh well, i kept it used it for night two and will probably be able to use it again at some point. (i saved it)
Anyone know if that is becoming standard at these shows? Pretty neat if so.
Patient B1003