Poster strategies

Mr. Jones, stop reading this and get back to work!
c0rpe
Little Cream Soda

Poster strategies

Post by c0rpe »

How does everyone deal with the the always present conundrum of wanting to buy a poster early in the evening so you make sure you get one, and having to do something with it while in a crowded room of screaming/jumping/sweating fans?

I recently noticed that the Black Keys are offering tubes with their posters at shows... anybody know if this is something Jack is doing on this tour?

What have you done in the past? Bring your own tube?

I won't have a car or anything nearby when I can stash it...
Vytis33
Little Cream Soda

Re: Poster strategies

Post by Vytis33 »

Bring your own tube to Jack's show. People were just holding them rolled up in their hands. Can't be too any mint copies floating around with that method.
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

Bring a tube, check it with your coat if possible.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Careful though. At the Ryman last year they didn't allow poster tubes inside. Everyone who brought tubes had to leave them outside. I got stopped by security after buying my poster because they thought it was a tube. Then Mandy ended up sitting on the poster, creasing it for life. Luckily I no longer trade or sell posters from shows I actually attend. :)
c0rpe
Little Cream Soda

Post by c0rpe »

shaneoftheroad wrote:Careful though. At the Ryman last year they didn't allow poster tubes inside. Everyone who brought tubes had to leave them outside. I got stopped by security after buying my poster because they thought it was a tube. Then Mandy ended up sitting on the poster, creasing it for life. Luckily I no longer trade or sell posters from shows I actually attend. :)
This is what i'm afraid of... though I dont really see why you couldnt bring in a cardboard tube. Security is so funny sometimes.

I like the coat check idea!
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

At the memphis show you could go in and out of the venue, so we grabbed our prints then put them in the car before the show even started.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
hsp88
Little Ghost

Post by hsp88 »

your safest bet it bringing a tube with you if you think their is a poster you will want.
redsox401
Little Acorn

Post by redsox401 »

Also if tubes are a no go have some elastic bands on your wrist. Also plastic poster sleeves are easy to put in a pocket and don't set off metal detectors. Get there early and ask security and then plan ahead from there. Never find out at the door you can't bring in a tube.
Hi
Pakedge
Little Acorn

Post by Pakedge »

I put a pony tail holder around my wrist and use it.
"Knock on the door and the door knocks back..."
notwdrums18
Little Acorn

Post by notwdrums18 »

c0rpe wrote:
shaneoftheroad wrote:Careful though. At the Ryman last year they didn't allow poster tubes inside. Everyone who brought tubes had to leave them outside. I got stopped by security after buying my poster because they thought it was a tube. Then Mandy ended up sitting on the poster, creasing it for life. Luckily I no longer trade or sell posters from shows I actually attend. :)
This is what i'm afraid of... though I dont really see why you couldnt bring in a cardboard tube. Security is so funny sometimes.

I always bring a plastic poster tube with me. Fits in my pocket, security doesn't care about it, and it keeps the poster safe...unless you sit on it... So far, haven't had a problem with plastic tubes though. Good luck!
Force fed, forced meds 'til I drop dead
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

How small is it that a poster tube fits in your pocket?

I always bring a rubber band or two and a cardboard tube with end caps if I know it's a show where I will be getting the poster. I've never had a problem with security either. If it's a show at TMR, it's pretty easy to get a poster at any time, take it to the car and manage to get your spot back in the crowd. At larger venues though I don't usually risk losing my spot and just keep the tube in between my feet.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
notwdrums18
Little Acorn

Post by notwdrums18 »

orangeshoeskid wrote:How small is it that a poster tube fits in your pocket?

I always bring a rubber band or two and a cardboard tube with end caps if I know it's a show where I will be getting the poster. I've never had a problem with security either. If it's a show at TMR, it's pretty easy to get a poster at any time, take it to the car and manage to get your spot back in the crowd. At larger venues though I don't usually risk losing my spot and just keep the tube in between my feet.
It's just like a plastic covering that slides right over the poster...nothing ridiculously sturdy but it gets the job done...definitely keeps the corners from getting bumped and folded
Force fed, forced meds 'til I drop dead
superchadw
Little Bird

Post by superchadw »

The Workplay show a few weeks was awesome cause they let us go outside and put ours in the car as soon as we got them. In chattanooga that was a big no-no
Grandpadan
Little Bird

Post by Grandpadan »

i just hold it rolled up and hope for the best. :D
ISO: money to buy more records.
suttree
Little Cream Soda

Post by suttree »

notwdrums18 wrote:
c0rpe wrote:

I always bring a plastic poster tube with me. Fits in my pocket, security doesn't care about it, and it keeps the poster safe...unless you sit on it... So far, haven't had a problem with plastic tubes though. Good luck!
Where did you get this? When I google plastic poster tube I get something that definitely would not fit in my pocket.
<JackWhite> suttree: who doesn't love lillie mae?