Vault Package Easter Egg

Love interruption --->
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Vault 14 cover and the knife

Post by woodisgood »

I don't see any comments yet about this . . .

Has anyone noticed: On the front cover, the shadow on the wall of the black-shirted Jack has a knife in his right (strumming) hand . . .

On the back cover, he's pointing a knife at the dog from the "Freedom at 21" cover.

And in the right shadow behind him, that knife is seemingly in his chest.

I love details like this!!
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
AJ123
Little Ghost

Re: Vault 14 cover and the knife

Post by AJ123 »

No "knife"in original pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

woodisgood wrote:On the front cover, the shadow on the wall of the black-shirted Jack has a knife in his right (strumming) hand . . .
Folks noticed and commented on that ^^ as soon as the preview image was posted at TMR.com. And remember this from the Vault announcement?--
We'll spare you the Lacanian interpretation of the multiple imaged Jack and how these images represent the Id and Ego and the recorded product of course, the Super-Ego. Or using the Mirror Stage we can then look at The Real, The Symbolic and the... oh never mind.
Apparently Jack's Id has a thing for knives. Though, considering that it's his shadow holding the knife, they should have thrown in a Jungian reference instead ;)
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

Well if the guy cuts like a buffalo then maybe a knife comes with the order of the day and we know Jack has made comments about Jasper doing the Astro ... this is our dog Jasper right??

I think i recall him saying that this cover was one of his finest works yet in the vault chat a week ago ... so he is consistent
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
TheHen0
Little Ghost

Post by TheHen0 »

Old fashioned razor perhaps?
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

TheHen0 wrote:Old fashioned razor perhaps?
you lil hen.... are a genius... i solute this solution you offer
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
rival
Little Ghost

Post by rival »

I mentioned this back in October ( http://www.whiteswirl.com/forum/viewtop ... 30#p137815 ) but no one wanted to start a discussion about it...

Nice to know others see it too and I'm not crazy :)
Hey, it's just a fucking record. Chill.
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

rival wrote:I mentioned this back in October ( http://www.whiteswirl.com/forum/viewtop ... 30#p137815 ) but no one wanted to start a discussion about it...

Never assume that just because others agree with you, that you aren't crazy; especially in THIS crowd ;)
Good catches, all, and a special nod to you, Kali, for the Jungian reference.

I fucking love this place.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

rival wrote:I mentioned this back in October ( http://www.whiteswirl.com/forum/viewtop ... 30#p137815 ) but no one wanted to start a discussion about it...

True, true, but no one had the complete package yet, and weren't privvy to the other knives on the back cover.

And for the record, it's not a shaving blade--it's a folding knife.
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
Matador402
Little Bird

Post by Matador402 »

During a New Years Eve Party my friend and I discovered a secret message hidden on the cover. It is extremely hard to find and even harder to decipher. Look for the hidden message under direct light, and look for it from many different angles. For best results hold it flat, looking down at it, then tilt it to the left and slightly away from you.

Secret Message: Your turntables not dead. It is located right under the neckline of jacks shirts. The bold type text stretches from the left of the photos and ends right above the head of Jack's guitar in the picture of him wearing the black shirt.
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

Matador402 wrote:During a New Years Eve Party my friend and I discovered a secret message hidden on the cover. It is extremely hard to find and even harder to decipher. Look for the hidden message under direct light, and look for it from many different angles. For best results hold it flat, looking down at it, then tilt it to the left and slightly away from you.

Secret Message: Your turntables not dead. It is located right under the neckline of jacks shirts. The bold type text stretches from the left of the photos and ends right above the head of Jack's guitar in the picture of him wearing the black shirt.

Well that's just nifty - thanks for that
lindnet
Little Bird

Post by lindnet »

Matador402 wrote:During a New Years Eve Party my friend and I discovered a secret message hidden on the cover. It is extremely hard to find and even harder to decipher. Look for the hidden message under direct light, and look for it from many different angles. For best results hold it flat, looking down at it, then tilt it to the left and slightly away from you.

That's awesome, thanks!
Linda
cmelo

Post by cmelo »

WOW. *Thanks*!!
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

I found it too, but my son deciphered it. It is hard to see.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
Freter
Little Acorn

Post by Freter »

Can somebody PM me the message. I'm impatient, and might not be getting a V14 anytime soon.