Walmart selling Jack White DVD Bootlegs

Love interruption --->
IamFrank007
Little Acorn

Walmart selling Jack White DVD Bootlegs

Post by IamFrank007 »

Picked this up today at my local Walmart,St.Thomas.Ont. Canada.Sound and video are poor.
Lets see TMR stop Walmart.....
Cease and desist notice to the largest retailer in the world ???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frank is a funkasaurus rex......................
Obliquitous
Little Acorn

Re: Walmart selling Jack White DVD Bootlegs

Post by Obliquitous »

Looks like they ripped off a pic from "It Might Get Loud" too.
Kali Durga - "For all you know, that guy might be a very cool person who just happens to look like your idea of an asshole."
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Ah, I'd be very interested in their response to that.

Just out of curiosity, anyone recognize which show that is? It doesn't appear to from either of the Ontario ones.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
IamFrank007
Little Acorn

Post by IamFrank007 »

New Orleans
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Does it have a UPC on it?
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Obliquitous
Little Acorn

Post by Obliquitous »

Read the small green print around the disc. Says they basically own the content.
Kali Durga - "For all you know, that guy might be a very cool person who just happens to look like your idea of an asshole."
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

Someone pick one up for me? :D
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

IamFrank007 wrote:New Orleans
Ah, yes, Voodoo Fest! Hilarious that Wal-Mart's making money off of that, especially if it's poor quality. A decent quality rip of the broadcast was passed around freely for days after the show.
Obliquitous wrote:Read the small green print around the disc. Says they basically own the content.
Wal-Mart owns it? That's even more hilarious, if that corporation paid for the rights to a crappy bootleg for distribution.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
IamFrank007
Little Acorn

Post by IamFrank007 »

rsimms3 wrote:Does it have a UPC on it?
Yes 9 087753 410097.
Ready Steady Go Entertainment
Obliquitous
Little Acorn

Post by Obliquitous »

Kali Durga wrote:
Obliquitous wrote:Read the small green print around the disc. Says they basically own the content.
Wal-Mart owns it? That's even more hilarious, if that corporation paid for the rights to a crappy bootleg for distribution.
I was thinking more of a bogus copyright claim, but it would be pretty funny if they paid for it.
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

Obliquitous wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:
I was thinking more of a bogus copyright claim, but it would be pretty funny if they paid for it.
One man's funny is another man's sad; in this case, I'm the other man. Talk about selling your soul to the man...
Don't get me wrong, it's always bothered me when people accuse a band of "selling out" when usually it just involved a smart business move. This, however, is different. It's fucking Mal Wart, for shit's sake.

Here's hoping Mal Wart is actually fraudulent, and they lose their ass.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
grumblestiltskin
Little Ghost

Post by grumblestiltskin »

I'm looking forward to the humorous and snarky response from the TMR crew already
Patient B1003
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

mojoryan wrote:
Obliquitous wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:
One man's funny is another man's sad; in this case, I'm the other man. Talk about selling your soul to the man...
Don't get me wrong, it's always bothered me when people accuse a band of "selling out" when usually it just involved a smart business move. This, however, is different. It's fucking Mal Wart, for shit's sake.

Wait... Do you think Jack or Third Man licensed this under the name Ready-Steady-Go Entertainment? I can't read the entire copyright claim in that photo, but Wal-Mart has to have acquired it from a fan recording or rip of the broadcast. TMR does some mysterious stuff sometimes, but something like this would be pretty astonishing. I mean, if nothing else, the colors on the packaging are all wrong. Does anyone believe that Jack would allow anyone to distribute something related to Blunderbuss that wasn't blue? (Yeah, one could make implications based on the fact that green is the predominant color here, but I think that'd be way off-base.)
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

Kali Durga wrote:
mojoryan wrote:
Obliquitous wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:

Wait... Do you think Jack or Third Man licensed this under the name Ready-Steady-Go Entertainment? I can't read the entire copyright claim in that photo, but Wal-Mart has to have acquired it from a fan recording or rip of the broadcast. TMR does some mysterious stuff sometimes, but something like this would be pretty astonishing. I mean, if nothing else, the colors on the packaging are all wrong. Does anyone believe that Jack would allow anyone to distribute something related to Blunderbuss that wasn't blue? (Yeah, one could make implications based on the fact that green is the predominant color here, but I think that'd be way off-base.)
That's the impression I would be under. Unless it wasn't expressly stated that filming wasn't permitted, then the footage seems as though it would be subject to the performing band's approval. I could be wrong on that, and hopefully one of our resident lawyers could shed some light on the laws regarding that situation.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

mojoryan wrote:Unless it wasn't expressly stated that filming wasn't permitted, then the footage seems as though it would be subject to the performing band's approval.
Yes, it does seem that way. But this wouldn't be the first time unapproved footage was sold in the retail marketplace (as in an actual brick'n'mortar store, not eBay). And that's what would make this hilarious, if a company the size of Wal-Mart made that sort of mistake, either intentionally or accidentally. It'll be interesting to see if we ever find out.