I'm Shakin to be the 4th 7"?

Love interruption --->
cmelo

Re: I'm Shakin to be the 4th 7"?

Post by cmelo »

Not saying anyone suggested this, but the day I do or don't like a piece of music based on something Rolling Stone says, just shoot me.
DeeBee
Little Cream Soda

Post by DeeBee »

cmelo wrote:Not saying anyone suggested this, but the day I do or don't like a piece of music based on something Rolling Stone says, just shoot me.
Right, nobody was suggesting that. There were people here loving the song well before RS put in its two cents' worth, and we would still be loving it even if Rolling Stone had labeled it "absolute crap" and "the worst thing he's ever done." Likewise people who don't like the song are unlikely to have their personal tastes in music shifted by a glowing review from RS or any other music magazine. It's all subjective and always will be.

The point of posting a Rolling Stone review of Blues On Two Trees here is to get another viewpoint on what it sounds like; and that was some pretty crunchy descriptive prose in that review. Calling it "a goth-blues funeral processional shambling through a banshee forest of cackle and drone" is a helluva lot more evocative and descriptive than the reviews that say it's Jack White "trying his hand at rapping" or whatever. So it's just one more thought-provoking perspective on a unique piece of music. Just like the insight that there is some Beefheart influence there; it gives us something to chew on and maybe notice something new, some deeper layers or textures, the next time we listen to that particular track. (Which will probably be quite often.)
"A free society is one in which it's safe to be unpopular." - Adlai Stevenson
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

well ... as of yet i have not heard a single person use the word RAW... and this piece is raw... whether it is by design or by way of experiential values that trump pop sensibility the end product is 'au naturale' in the way it impacts the listener

i bring up this point because whether we as fans like it or dislike it as a piece of jacks work there will be those with 'untrained ears' who are not likely to get into it without some prior love of or interest in the elements within the essential work itself

the inherent components are dramatic... improvisational... jazz... blues... indigenous... poetic... emotive... dischordian...

for me this sums up the piece without defining it as good bad or anything else particularly... none of this is to say that we have not seen this from Jack before amidst his more polished gems.... i think i will stick with RAW and let that be what it is

ecological? mmm... dunno... if someone's sort of love is a form of torment and terror then trees may not like that too much
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

i just wanted to drop this bit of a Jack Vault Chat in here pertaining to Blues on Two Trees
<JackWhite> EvieMay: inanimate objects that are also "alive" was the inspiration
<gojos> JackWhite: I heard it last tuesday night! Jumped out of my seat so excited!!
<thirdtesla> JackWhite: take care!!! I ook forward to getting some frequent flyer miles!!!
<edithkim> yo. thanks for Montreal's show. a blast. we had.
<gojos> scarletamiee76: YES!! I heard that too!! SO cool!!
<JackWhite> Elessa: recently
<appleblossomed> "let's get shitfaced and ask jack white about kittens!!!!!"
<KNARFNY> JACK, YOU PAINTED THE NICEST CANDY SWIRL OF THEM ALL ON THIS #6 I BOUGHT. JUST LOOKS AMAZING!!! THANK YOU JACK!
<scarletamiee76> JackWhite: heard 16 saltines (I think) on an episode of Parenthood...
<stripes333> How's Alison?
<EvieMay> JackWhite: what was the inspiration for Blues on Two Trees, adore that song x

i just wanna know if anyone has played this track backwards yet?? oh my... another 3 pages on that idea
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
AJ123
Little Ghost

Post by AJ123 »

Got mine today. No tri (as usual) :|
SteffenR
Little Bird

Post by SteffenR »

Hit the Jackpot!

I got my first tri-color in the mail today and I couldn't be happier.

Could this complete the Blunderbuss single Tri-Color collection?

notwdrums18
Little Acorn

Post by notwdrums18 »

SteffenR wrote:Hit the Jackpot!

Damn dude, congrats! I need that tri bad
Force fed, forced meds 'til I drop dead
AJ123
Little Ghost

Post by AJ123 »

I have the damn worst luck. I pre order everything, low number and such, but never a tri
maxman142001
Little Ghost

Post by maxman142001 »

SteffenR wrote:Hit the Jackpot!

Congrats
<<Jack White>> @Maxman142001 'let me tell you about my baby she was born out in arizona..."
dreamover
Little Acorn

Post by dreamover »

AJ123 wrote:I have the damn worst luck. I pre order everything, low number and such, but never a tri
me too. i always order within minutes of it going up. i'm starting to think that doesn't help. people who get them seem to order days after it goes up. hmmmph.
<Jack White> alright i'm out to feed my cats
=====================================
http://bit.ly/dreamovertl <--- my vinyl list
http://www.dreamoverrecords.com
Moller72
Little Ghost

Post by Moller72 »

dreamover wrote:
AJ123 wrote:I have the damn worst luck. I pre order everything, low number and such, but never a tri
me too. i always order within minutes of it going up. i'm starting to think that doesn't help. people who get them seem to order days after it goes up. hmmmph.
I have got 6 random colored items by mail never once ordered by preorder always ordered after comes out in store.
SteffenR
Little Bird

Post by SteffenR »

dreamover wrote:

I ordered the morning they opened the pre order up. It has got to be random.
notwdrums18
Little Acorn

Post by notwdrums18 »

Got delivery confirmation today...and it's nowhere to be found. Sweet...it's probably a tri
Force fed, forced meds 'til I drop dead
AJ123
Little Ghost

Post by AJ123 »

I don't have room on my shelf to line up 4 7" records :(
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Blues on Two Trees just tickles me to no end. I think I've listened to it a good 15 or 20 times tonight. I don't think it'll ever end up on a list of my favorite Jack White songs, but I love the hell out of it when he throws us for a loop like this.

I love the things he does with his voice on this one. And theremin in place of guitar! And the Native American feel to the humming at the beginning and the drumming throughout. Like destijl said, "It's a bit.....and a bit......and a little bit." Unlike destijl, though, I was grinning with delight as each one of those bits rolled on by.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."