Little Ghost

Re: I'm Shakin to be the 4th 7"?

Post by Aquamarine »

Sounds Beefheartian.
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

i agree... definitely goes into the avant territory of Beefheart as a part of sampling some specifically American cultural references along the way
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
greginchains
Little Ghost

Post by greginchains »

I like the hell out of it, maybe cuz' it's the first time hearing it and I'm kinda high, but I like the range of effects and pace of the song. It's pretty cool.
I only wanted to be good enough, but I'm not.
DeeBee
Little Cream Soda

Post by DeeBee »

Yeah, it's a cool song. Not sure why some are seeing "Blues On Two Trees" as a 'mistake' or 'not serious' or whatever. Music is always subjective; but it seems to me there's more to this song than there was to Top Special or Who's A Big Baby. (Neither of which I liked all that much, I'll confess.)

In terms of 'seriousness' I think he often has fun with songs, even though he seems loathe to admit to ever having fun; but the fun does not detract at all from the art, I don't think. (For instance, there may be some word play going on in this song, with 'bark' and 'leaves' in relation to trees. The lyrics are not the strong point in the song, for me anyway. But as an experimental or avant-garde musical foray, it's pretty intriguing.)

Actually, what it reminds me of - not really in terms of music or lyrics, but just in terms of being a pretty far-out piece that I like - is St. Andrew (The Battle Is In The Air). I remember when the Icky Thump album came out, there were some negative reactions to that song, which I thought was brilliant and wonderful. It's just all subjective.

I had also been wondering about some possible Beefheart influence in there; but not being familiar enough with his oevre I didn't want to hazard a guess. I'm glad somebody else noticed that and pointed it out.

OT/add: Interesting how some artists are so revered for their weird avant-garde experimental forays, while others seem to get bashed for it. Like Captain Beefheart versus Yoko Ono, for example. It might be unconscious sexism or something; but then Bjork is pretty well received too, so maybe it's something else. (I'm not a Yoko Ono fan, no; but just happened to notice that.)
Last edited by DeeBee on Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A free society is one in which it's safe to be unpopular." - Adlai Stevenson
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Aquamarine wrote:Sounds Beefheartian.
That's what a friend of mine said today when I showed him the track and I was surprised I hadn't seen it earlier. It's totally Beefheartian!
jbharris76
Little Cream Soda

Post by jbharris76 »

**Ding Ding** Great call on the Beefhart. I'm glad to know the majority are digging it. You know who else it just reminded me of:

David Byrne (maybe some late talking heads) and Eno. More Byrne/Eno. Some of those obvious tribal influence in there, along with the ambient feel of it at times. I like all the changes in BOTT, it just morphs and plods along. And for someone that doesn't use any 'new' musical equipment, Jack managed some really cool effects on it. I even heard a *touch* of old Modest Mouse and/or Ugly Casanova in there.

And RE: Icky Thump...I definitely remember people scratching their heads on several tracks when it came out.

"Blues on Two Trees" feels like *real* Jack White solo to me. Meaning, it's not with a big band bouncing all over the room like Blunderbuss. I felt like he really 'let loose' on Blunderbuss and let the party steer the ship as much as he ever will. You know how he's talked about the recording process of it, getting to play with so many people etc etc. I think that's about as close to "fun" as he'll ever admit to having while making music. ha! It's the most people he's ever been around, musically, and it brought out a sound all it's own. It's had to feel like a traveling circus of sorts to have so many people out on tour with him.

So, yeah, I've been listening to it on repeat all day. And, it's official, I love this new 'sound'. More more more more!!!
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

Byrne/Eno... nah... not really... this is genuine artifact and not just some capture and sampling process going on here

i honestly think there is a difference between being a craftsperson whose aim is to please their buyer or to suit the social purpose and the artist who takes the world in and allows it to transform them into the product of realization which has a life and meaning unto its own design and question that cannot fully be answered by the artist themselves... that is why i referenced the work of shamens... who cares it is of a religion or whether the spiritual nature of it does the needed work

the track is not slick and its by no means intended to be digested in a bite or 3.... it is definitely the sort of Halloween track that should be on repeat all day today for starters... i am certainly not inclined to take this song lightly given my intensive visit to Gilcrease Museum which houses the lingering essences of many native American Ancestors who would tell you in a heart beat just how serious the tone is within this track and/or tribal session of skilled musicians loosening soul
sjcapps07 wrote:FYI: Runoffs on the sides say "Australia, figure it out" and "Fans of Lawrence Welk," respectively.
if anything at all were to be taken from these moments in jacks artistry where people amble through darkness i would say that it would be these run off quotes ... this is where the craftsmanship of many years meets with the artistry of 'the now'

i do also believe that it was a good call to say that it is the real Jack White solo work that we were all looking for to emerge (not unlike Battle in the Air) but with this you can hear all the wayward explorations of every band member playing to their hearts content ... Hank Williams spirit may have been chased off by the conundrum brewing in the studio that day but surely Zappa and Sun Ra and Don Van Vilet are looking on and smiling or whispering in someones ear for such a release to have made its way into the main stream whether people were ready for it or not

is it on the level with 21st century Sun Ra or Mothers of Invention?? well... who can say really?... i dont think anyone would question that Don Van Vilet may have been one of the channels in this instance and would even be proud but i think we are talking about an artist becoming as opposed to a conceptual artist who has compiled the schematics and architecture for other artists to expand upon as co=creation /// all i know is that this sort of conversation is comforting to experience given the fact that it might be shunned or otherwise considered spaceman talk in circles where i live from day to day

the more serious question remain.... what does George Clinton think of this track and how will Black Keys try to best it?

8-)
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I want my damned 7" NOW so I can finally listen to this song and join in the conversation.

Don't ask me why I'm holding out for the vinyl, I don't know.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
curseofhalos

Post by curseofhalos »

Kali Durga wrote:I want my damned 7" NOW so I can finally listen to this song and join in the conversation.

Don't ask me why I'm holding out for the vinyl, I don't know.
I got mine yesterday and finally listened to it. I didn't enjoy it.

Anyone notice the etchings?

"Australia, figure it out"

Figure what out?
Hamptonio
Little Ghost

Post by Hamptonio »

i love it when artists get the itch to be weird. this is practically genre-less, which is quite a feat.
i really hope that there's a layer of the vault that contains nothing but unheard off-the-wall jack white b-sides. i'd buy that compilation.
<JackWhite> Hamptonio: yes, and tell the lovely wife that i really love the pot pie recipe. i can't get enough LOL! anyway, let me know when you get that package of test pressings i sent you.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Hamptonio wrote:i really hope that there's a layer of the vault that contains nothing but unheard off-the-wall jack white b-sides. i'd buy that compilation.
Without even listening to this song yet, I can wholeheartedly agree with that.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

mine finally shipped today :)
maxman142001
Little Ghost

Post by maxman142001 »

Got mine today! Bought the entire set to possibly frame. Looks cool. No Tri for me though....
<<Jack White>> @Maxman142001 'let me tell you about my baby she was born out in arizona..."
DeeBee
Little Cream Soda

Post by DeeBee »

Rolling Stone has high praise for this track; don't think this got posted before:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/songr ... s-20121028
Jack White: "Blues on Two Trees"
By Jon Dolan /October 28, 2012

Take a victory lap, Jack – you've just come up with the meanest, most riotously fucked-up thing of your career: The B side to "Shakin'" is a goth-blues funeral processional shambling through a banshee forest of cackle and drone. The stumble-stomp drumming falls apart beautifully, and White's witchy-boy singing is genuinely unhinged: "Why don't you leave me alone and love a tree!" he shouts. White may be down on love, but at least he's eco-friendly.
But they're parsimonious with their stars, as usual. They think it's one of the best things ever from one of our era's most gifted musicians, so that rates...three stars out of five? Go figure.
theeradicaleclectic wrote: i honestly think there is a difference between being a craftsperson whose aim is to please their buyer or to suit the social purpose and the artist who takes the world in and allows it to transform them into the product of realization which has a life and meaning unto its own design and question that cannot fully be answered by the artist themselves... that is why i referenced the work of shamens... who cares it is of a religion or whether the spiritual nature of it does the needed work.
Sounds like maybe you're getting at some difference here between art as a product versus art as a process. I think there's been some wonderful and even great art done as a product, so I would never knock that on its own merits. But yeah, there's a difference when you see art as a process whereby the music or whatever takes on a life of its own and starts telling the artist what to do and how to do it. Some novelists, for example, have said that the characters in their stories become so real to them that they start pushing the story into directions the writer never intended. So it does become some kind of transformative thing where the artist willingly allows the art to move through him and push him in new directions, things he never planned or expected.

In some interviews with JW he's said that he tries not to get in the way of the music, that the songs come to him and take on a life of their own and he just tries to follow as best he can and help it do what it needs to do. (Paraphrasing.) I think he also said that it's like "letting god into the room." So yeah, there is some mystery there, some kind of resonance with shamanism or spirituality or whatever. Sometimes that shows through more clearly with the weirder or more 'primitive' or less 'finished' pieces. But with the way he approaches songwriting that seems to be present to some extent in just about everything he does.
"A free society is one in which it's safe to be unpopular." - Adlai Stevenson
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

Mine arrived today. :)