I'm Shakin to be the 4th 7"?

Love interruption --->
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Re: I'm Shakin to be the 4th 7"?

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

Like my great grand dad said... better head to the round house Nellie... they cant catch you there!!!

Face it... the rap slapdown & caterwaul is really at the heart of this front porch stompin Blues... but too much is too much and and thats why some folks are giving it a craptastic review ... the power to edit oneself was not the point of this jam atall

i saw this and had to post it here... the fact is that this b-side track is filled with traditional american indigenous sounds of all sorts but if people have already cut themselves off from these cultures then they will not recognize any of the elements in the work ... any person who has had a long look at Mississippi Fred MacDowell will tell you that he has native American blood in him

Lone Ranger Soundtrack look out... i dont think even Johnny Depp could get this approved with the Disney executives when it comes to commercial appeal but Jack White has their number and is settin up the sweatlodge for them now ... clearly he is bringin a bunch of blues men with him to lay down some soul and adding a handful of crazy cajun folks with oversized electrified fiddles just to make things more complicated
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
sjcapps07
Little Acorn

Post by sjcapps07 »

:roll:
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

bahahahahhahah.... hey Jack... yet another satisfied customer! :geek:
jamesmonzon1
Little Acorn

Post by jamesmonzon1 »

As much as I don't want to post a reply, I feel that I must. Why must you press that the b-side is filled with elements of American indigenous cultures? Unless Jack or some one from from the TMR camp said so, it's quite presumptuous to say people won't recognize it if they haven't heard it with such assertiveness (that's how I took it; not speaking for others).

Couldn't Jack and co. been messing with sounds and be like "oh, that's cool, let's use it"? Couldn't he have been inspired by a sound or artist or whatever and built a song around the idea that culminated from it?

Just because it's Jack White we're talking about, it doesn't mean everything he comes up with has to be über deep and full of meaning. For all we know he could have been eating cereal or on the toilet when he came up with this track. Hell, maybe both if that's how he rolls.

*Sorry guys, I won't poke the bear no more.
"There's nothing as reverential as putting on a vinyl album and manually flipping it. You can't fast-forward. You can't pause. More than likely, you are going to let the whole thing play."-Jack White III
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Come on... is it possible that you can accept that what you dont know might actually make sense to someone who does know?

dude... i mentioned it first and then kali just mentioned it and other people have also been picking up on the sort of RAW essence of the production which aludes to the influence of a variety of indigenous American elements of musical style within these tracks of which many can easily be paired down to their relative origins within the 566 different recognized tribes across american today as a nod to the sort of aesthetics that have slowly moved and seeped into jacks music and respect for culture

i mean did you not pick up on the Lone Ranger reference either or connections Jack is making with Depp who is playing Tonto ... maybe you didnt recognize that Jack took an interest in some British Columbian Indigenous styles a while back?

is it possible that you might be appreciative of the idea that i might know a little more about these cultural indicators and the role that trees play in the region where we are living or maybe as a part of a Sundance Ceremony associated with native american ritual and find Jacks repeated references to Blues of Two trees to be in alignment with such things... go figure

neither the bear nor the stick is the issue... its the whole nature of what the guy is doing with the track that appeals to someone such as myself who has been steeped in the history and validity of all the connections and parallels... sheesh
DeeBee
Little Cream Soda

Post by DeeBee »

As to whether the drumming in Blues On Two Trees is influenced by shamanic or Native American drum rhythms, I have no idea; but it does sound reminiscent of that in some ways. The thing is, people who were familiar with Captain Beefheart were able to pick that out as an influence, where others didn't; and the same with any other kind of music. We all come to a new song with a background of musical influences from the past, and that's what we're most likely to notice there. That's why it so often happens that one person will think a new song sounds "just like" another band, and somebody else thinks it sounds "just like" some different band, and nobody can agree. We tend to be blind to how much our own perceptions and viewpoint have been colored by our unique past experience. I'm not very adept at picking out subtle musical influences myself; I just think Blues On Two Trees is a wonderful jambalaya stew of a whole bunch of weird stuff tossed in the pot, and it all goes together really well.
"A free society is one in which it's safe to be unpopular." - Adlai Stevenson
grumblestiltskin
Little Ghost

Post by grumblestiltskin »

I'm Shakin' tour version is available at the UK shows fellas...I expect they will be hitting eBay tomorrow.
Patient B1003
Moller72
Little Ghost

Post by Moller72 »

And a newbie here has them for sale already.
http://www.whiteswirl.com/forum/viewtop ... =17&t=7414
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

this is how i feel about the b-side to im shakin...

knoxvle
Little Acorn

Post by knoxvle »

I asked Rebecca in sales today if we could possibly buy the i'm shakin tour variant sleeve...
her reply...

"Unfortunately, the tour singles were dealt with by Jack's tour merchandise company, so we don't have any to sell right now."
Obliquitous
Little Acorn

I'm Shakin to be the 4th 7

Post by Obliquitous »

...so your telling me there's a chance, yeah!!

(Bonus points if you name that reference)
Last edited by Obliquitous on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kali Durga - "For all you know, that guy might be a very cool person who just happens to look like your idea of an asshole."
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Re: I'm Shakin to be the 4th 7

Post by arewhyehen »

Obliquitous wrote:...so your telling there's a chance, yeah!!

(Bonus points if you name that reference)
dumb and dumber?
Obliquitous
Little Acorn

Post by Obliquitous »

Ding ding ding!!! The check is in the mail sir.
Kali Durga - "For all you know, that guy might be a very cool person who just happens to look like your idea of an asshole."
Bikedo
Little Ghost

Post by Bikedo »

I'd like to sleep 100 days, my feeling has gone, flesh cold and numb.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Re: I'm Shakin to be the 4th 7

Post by arewhyehen »

Obliquitous wrote:Ding ding ding!!! The check is in the mail sir.
Haha, love that movie. This is when he was talking to Mary in the hotel.

Great, I will keep my eye out for it ;)