Jack White III Solo Album Blunderbuss

Love interruption --->
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Re: Jack White III Solo Album Blunderbuss

Post by flattop2001 »

May be #1 but sold just under half the units icky thump moved it it's first week. Wouldn't be too worried about moving to the mainstream just yet.
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
sandmaniac3
Little Acorn

Post by sandmaniac3 »

flattop2001 wrote:May be #1 but sold just under half the units icky thump moved it it's first week. Wouldn't be too worried about moving to the mainstream just yet.
May be true, but he is all over the TV. Once you do Colbert, at least almost every college student knows about you.
Has everything you said today been true?
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

flattop2001 wrote:May be #1 but sold just under half the units icky thump moved it it's first week. Wouldn't be too worried about moving to the mainstream just yet.
True but the entire sales system has been turned on it's ear since then. CDs were still sort of relevant at that time. What's the total sold so far?
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
2crazikids
Little Acorn

Post by 2crazikids »

ALDRIN: A blunderbuss is a kind of gun—the kind that can blow your head off.

WHITE: [laughs] Exactly. I was hoping maybe that some of these songs might blow people's minds, too.

http://www.interviewmagazine.com/music/jack-white#page3

This sums it up nicely for me. :lol:
mvickers03
Little Ghost

Post by mvickers03 »

Am I on my own with my problem? My LP is skipping on 16 Saltines?
I'm bored, I'm the chairman of the board.
sandmaniac3
Little Acorn

Post by sandmaniac3 »

mvickers03 wrote:Am I on my own with my problem? My LP is skipping on 16 Saltines?
Maybe it's too dry. Try pouring water on the record when the song comes on.

Mine plays fine. I would contact TMR and see if they will send you another copy. Might even get a lightning out of it.
vozhyk87
Little Acorn

Post by vozhyk87 »

2crazikids wrote:Wowsers! It's # 1 on the Billboard charts??!! (is it ok to mention such a mainstream thing here? :oops: ) Not sure how I feel about that but I bet Jack is thrilled!
The company Jack is with in the top of the charts is quite embarrassing...
hawke000

Post by hawke000 »

I'm glad jack is number 1

A) it's a monumental album
B) It gives me ease in knowing that I'm not "that" crazy for being here.

*twinkles*
jrfhoutx
Flipper

Post by jrfhoutx »

mvickers03 wrote:Am I on my own with my problem? My LP is skipping on 16 Saltines?
check for a scratch, or damaged groove, and possibly slightly increase your tracking force (may just be tracking too light and the groove walls throw the stylus out)
"They were a garage band on Sympathy?! Who knew?" -- EVM
ISO/FS/FT
FLANAGAN, YARRGH!!!
Douchebag Thief
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

hawke000 wrote:I'm glad jack is number 1

A) it's a monumental album
B) It gives me ease in knowing that I'm not "that" crazy for being here.

*twinkles*
Glad you qualified that one. ;)
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
mvickers03
Little Ghost

Post by mvickers03 »

jrfhoutx wrote:
check for a scratch, or damaged groove, and possibly slightly increase your tracking force (may just be tracking too light and the groove walls throw the stylus out)
It look perfect visually, it still does it when you put a penny on the tone arm (has helped fix records in the past)
sandmaniac3 wrote:
Maybe it's too dry. Try pouring water on the record when the song comes on.

Mine plays fine..
I'll take my deck out side in the rain and give it a shot ;)
I'm bored, I'm the chairman of the board.
UntilTheyFall
Little Bird

Post by UntilTheyFall »

I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm still not overly impressed with Blunderbuss.. don't get me wrong; its pretty good, but I guess I built it up to be a legendary classic record.
csbanta wrote:I'm with ya. After waiting about a week and a half after release to listen to this straight through on vinyl, a couple things stuck out. Side A is far more gritty than side b which isn't all that strange, but side b doesn't seem to have anything overly gritty all together. Lyrically there is a ton of angst in this album, but emotionally or musically for the most part I dont think the darkness of the lyrics are not matched by the same grit in the music. The album is a well produced oiled machine. However, idk if this is what we always want from Jack. I love that he is exploring new musical avenues, but the raunchy guitar and nasty tone and that sense of almost wreck-less angst or anger just doesnt seem to be there, or at least it doesnt match what the lyrics are putting out. Its a very good record, not great record IMO. However, still better than 99% of the trash floating in the world today so perspective is important as well.
THANK YOU.
I held off from listening to the leak so I could sink in to the record when I finally got it.. and it just didn't blow me away like most of his other material in other projects.
I guess I'm too used to the dirty distorted blues that the stripes/dead weather pumped out, or the straight ahead rocking duality of him and Brendan in the raconteurs.. guess I'm more geared towards nasty guitars and chugging drums than piano tracks.
greggo
Little Bird

Post by greggo »

Why does this album have Marilyn Manson on the front?
sandmaniac3
Little Acorn

Post by sandmaniac3 »

UntilTheyFall wrote:I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm still not overly impressed with Blunderbuss.. don't get me wrong; its pretty good, but I guess I built it up to be a legendary classic record.
Like most records, you just need to give it time. I didn't love it at first, but it has really grown on me. Also, like with other Jack projects, you need to see it live before it really connects. But like all art, not everyone will like it or love it. After being at the Webster Hall show I am totally sold on it.
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

I was in the Modlife Chat thread and found this from March 19, 2011. :o :lol:

<JackWhite> and blow everybody's world apart
<JackWhite> up the ante with a shot to the shante
<JackWhite> and just as the desk hits the gavel
<JackWhite> fill it with gravela
<JackWhite> would love to hold a dragoon or a blunderbuss for that matter
<JackWhite> there might be dragons for all i know