Jack White III Solo Album Blunderbuss

Love interruption --->
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Re: Jack White III Solo Album Blunderbuss

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

or at least a few brave hearts left in this land...

i feel like the marketing on this album and all its associated products and releases has been exceptional

flexi.... bolt of 2 tone quality... white vinyl for test press... multiple forms of singles as etched and experimental... fold over quality posters

slip mats is low on my list but the fact that they made the cut says something about the depth of planning... looking forward to more videos too

i keep hearing that transition in "Take Me With You When You Go'' and thinking about how many different types of people enjoy something off this album which leads me to think that eventually we may see a single of Im Shakin with some other old timey song whipped into shape as a Bside... normally i would say it would be 'You Know That I Know' but im not feelin that one as much as some old bottleneck blues song
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
TheHen0
Little Ghost

Post by TheHen0 »

White vinyl you say?
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

^^ Very cool article. I don't get all of the technical aspects described, but it's still fascinating to hear Jack, Vance, and Bob Ludwig talk about the creation of the album. And whatever's above bless Jack for yet again having to do things his own way. It makes all the difference in the world.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

I understand bits and pieces, but certainly not enough to carry on a conversation about the equipment or processes used. Given the out-takes/alt-takes of some of the early White Stripes material made available through The Vault, I did find this part interesting -
At Third Man Records, there's a vault with tapes of outtakes. There's not an abundance of extra material, though. 'If you take a White Stripes album like Elephant: There's only one take of of every song,' White says. 'That's it. If it didn't sound good, we just erased it.'
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

rsimms3 wrote:I understand bits and pieces, but certainly not enough to carry on a conversation about the equipment or processes used. Given the out-takes/alt-takes of some of the early White Stripes material made available through The Vault, I did find this part interesting -
At Third Man Records, there's a vault with tapes of outtakes. There's not an abundance of extra material, though. 'If you take a White Stripes album like Elephant: There's only one take of of every song,' White says. 'That's it. If it didn't sound good, we just erased it.'
Yeah, I have to say that part made me ache a little bit. But it's understandable, considering the price of recording to tape.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
DeeBee
Little Cream Soda

Post by DeeBee »

I heard I'm Shaking on the radio the other night. Every time I hear it I like it more. Really great vocals, especially. I think it would make a nice single; but it's probably not considered 'mainstream' enough. Every once in a while, a really oddball song will become a huge hit sensation; but it's hard to predict. And I guess it's also unusual to see more than three singles released from most of his albums.
"A free society is one in which it's safe to be unpopular." - Adlai Stevenson
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

DeeBee wrote:I heard I'm Shaking on the radio the other night. Every time I hear it I like it more. Really great vocals, especially. I think it would make a nice single; but it's probably not considered 'mainstream' enough. Every once in a while, a really oddball song will become a huge hit sensation; but it's hard to predict. And I guess it's also unusual to see more than three singles released from most of his albums.
Love Interruption and Sixteen Saltines are both played on my local radio station and both made it in to the Top 10 hits. Both of them sat in the top 10 for awhile...It all depends on the listeners. It doesn't need to be "mainstream", the listeners just need to like it..haha
rival
Little Ghost

Post by rival »

Not that anyone cares but Yesterday was the first time I've listened to this album on headphones, just on the couch without interruptions...

...My goodness does it ever sound spectacular between a set of headphones. I loved this album before but it just jumped a few spots on my all time list, that's for sure.
Hey, it's just a fucking record. Chill.
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

TheHen0 wrote:White vinyl you say?
i have taken too long to get back to you on this because i lost the thread for a while but i wanted to let you know that i am certain the person i quoted must have been mistaken ... i believe that it was only a white label and not a white vinyl that they saw in Germany... lost in translation?

anyways... i have had access to no other clues associated to white vinyl test press ... not denying it could exist but mentioning the fallacy idea
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
grumblestiltskin
Little Ghost

Post by grumblestiltskin »

Here is something that I'm not sure has been discussed:

First I thought that the two pictures of the peacock inside the gatefold were identical, but I think they are actually from two slightly different perspectives, which might allow one to view it in stereoscopic 3D (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereoscopy)? If you cross your eyes so the birds overlap, you get a (very blurry) 3D peacock! I think.

This is the part where you tell me that everyone knew about this all along and I'm late to the party. I don't care. I'm still very excited.

EDIT: This definitely works, even if it makes you look stupid.
Last edited by grumblestiltskin on Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patient B1003
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Did you take a look at the photo of Jack on the back of the album lyrics insert? I do believe that's a stereoscope in his hand, so you would indeed be right.
grumblestiltskin
Little Ghost

Post by grumblestiltskin »

Kali Durga wrote:Did you take a look at the photo of Jack on the back of the album lyrics insert? I do believe that's a stereoscope in his hand, so you would indeed be right.
I didn't make that link before! It's a neat easter egg.
Patient B1003
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Everything always ties together somehow with Jack.
cmelo

Post by cmelo »

rival wrote:Not that anyone cares but Yesterday was the first time I've listened to this album on headphones, just on the couch without interruptions...

...My goodness does it ever sound spectacular between a set of headphones. I loved this album before but it just jumped a few spots on my all time list, that's for sure.
*AGREED* about the headphones experience -- particularly the guitar solo in Weep. (or solos -- i'm still trying to figure it out.) Phenomenal.