Jack White III Solo Album Blunderbuss

Love interruption --->
Elwood
Little Cream Soda

Re: Jack White III Solo Album Blunderbuss

Post by Elwood »

Hmm, I may be the only one but "Blunderbuss" is not my piece of cake...

I've been forcing myself to listen to it multiple times but still, I'm not impressed.
mvickers03
Little Ghost

Post by mvickers03 »

About 2 weeks into this album and I love it to bits, I'm going ahead and buying another copy

Does anyone else's copy skip at the start of 16 saltines?? mine does and it sucks! luckily it's a forward jump. The backward ones suck even more!

Mine was pressed by TMR/URP for the record.
I'm bored, I'm the chairman of the board.
csbanta
Little Acorn

Post by csbanta »

Elwood wrote:Hmm, I may be the only one but "Blunderbuss" is not my piece of cake...

I've been forcing myself to listen to it multiple times but still, I'm not impressed.
I'm with ya. After waiting about a week and a half after release to listen to this straight through on vinyl, a couple things stuck out. Side A is far more gritty than side b which isn't all that strange, but side b doesn't seem to have anything overly gritty all together. Lyrically there is a ton of angst in this album, but emotionally or musically for the most part I dont think the darkness of the lyrics are not matched by the same grit in the music. The album is a well produced oiled machine. However, idk if this is what we always want from Jack. I love that he is exploring new musical avenues, but the raunchy guitar and nasty tone and that sense of almost wreck-less angst or anger just doesnt seem to be there, or at least it doesnt match what the lyrics are putting out. Its a very good record, not great record IMO. However, still better than 99% of the trash floating in the world today so perspective is important as well.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

csbanta wrote:However, idk if this is what I always want from Jack.
Fixed it for ya.

I actually like that weird discrepancy between the music and some of the lyrics. It's like the effect of Love Interruption throughout the album, but more subtly. And I love the record as a whole. I will go so far as to agree, though, that when Jack's career finally comes to an end, this will not necessarily be one of the albums he's remembered for. But as a debut solo effort after what he's already created in the past, it definitely hints that there's powerful stuff to come now that he's stepped out of the various boxes he's been in. I'm already eager for that next album that he's apparently ready to begin and it'll be so very interesting to compare it to this one.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Elwood wrote:Hmm, I may be the only one but "Blunderbuss" is not my piece of cake...

Freedom at 21 blows me away, especially live. Same for Sixteen Saltines. I love the album, I'm ready for another. I hope he still plays a lot of White Stripes songs live, but I'm ready for more of the new album. ICLAB when performed with the girl band is very good, he needs to keep playing that for sure. I wish I could write his set list for the Ryman shows ! :D
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Alabama Woody wrote:ICLAB when performed with the girl band is very good, he needs to keep playing that for sure.
Cut Like a Buffalo with the Buzzards blew my mind in NY. They got into such a freaky cool groove.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
sandmaniac3
Little Acorn

Post by sandmaniac3 »

Kali Durga wrote:
Alabama Woody wrote:ICLAB when performed with the girl band is very good, he needs to keep playing that for sure.
Cut Like a Buffalo with the Buzzards blew my mind in NY. They got into such a freaky cool groove.
Both bands add a funky groove to that song. It is really great to see him playing with his older songs and reinventing them.
Has everything you said today been true?
csbanta
Little Acorn

Post by csbanta »

Kali Durga wrote:
csbanta wrote:However, idk if this is what I always want from Jack.
Fixed it for ya.

I actually like that weird discrepancy between the music and some of the lyrics. It's like the effect of Love Interruption throughout the album, but more subtly. And I love the record as a whole. I will go so far as to agree, though, that when Jack's career finally comes to an end, this will not necessarily be one of the albums he's remembered for. But as a debut solo effort after what he's already created in the past, it definitely hints that there's powerful stuff to come now that he's stepped out of the various boxes he's been in. I'm already eager for that next album that he's apparently ready to begin and it'll be so very interesting to compare it to this one.
thank ya for the correction, dont want to lump the sum of the parts in with my own opinion. I'm in the same boat with you that even though it isnt my favorite album he has be involved in, for his first go around as a solo artist its not pretty good. In all honesty, my expectations were probably a little too high. I will say this, the new album did make me giddy as a school girl just waiting to hear it, to see what Jack would do next. I hadnt looked forward to an album this much since The Black Keys after Rubber Factory. I loved all the singles that we're released, and much like yourself i am pumped for the next go around. Having Jack making tunes is waaaaaaaaaaaay better than no tunes from Jack.
sandmaniac3
Little Acorn

Post by sandmaniac3 »

csbanta wrote: Having Jack making tunes is waaaaaaaaaaaay better than no tunes from Jack.
Not only is it good to have him making tunes again, but it is GREAT to have him on tour again. He has always been better live. Plus he is playing his old stuff. So I see no reason to be unhappy with how things are progressing.
csbanta
Little Acorn

Post by csbanta »

sandmaniac3 wrote:
csbanta wrote: Having Jack making tunes is waaaaaaaaaaaay better than no tunes from Jack.
Not only is it good to have him making tunes again, but it is GREAT to have him on tour again. He has always been better live. Plus he is playing his old stuff. So I see no reason to be unhappy with how things are progressing.
indeed, he just needs to stop in indiana
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

csbanta wrote:I'm in the same boat with you that even though it isnt my favorite album he has be involved in, for his first go around as a solo artist its not pretty good. In all honesty, my expectations were probably a little too high. I will say this, the new album did make me giddy as a school girl just waiting to hear it, to see what Jack would do next. I hadnt looked forward to an album this much since The Black Keys after Rubber Factory. I loved all the singles that we're released, and much like yourself i am pumped for the next go around. Having Jack making tunes is waaaaaaaaaaaay better than no tunes from Jack.
Ah, actually we're not in the same boat, unless the "not" in "Its not pretty good" is a typo. I love Blunderbuss. But I also think that, as far as solo material goes, it's only the tip of the iceberg of what Jack can, and probably will, do.
csbanta
Little Acorn

Post by csbanta »

Kali Durga wrote:
csbanta wrote:I'm in the same boat with you that even though it isnt my favorite album he has be involved in, for his first go around as a solo artist its not pretty good. In all honesty, my expectations were probably a little too high. I will say this, the new album did make me giddy as a school girl just waiting to hear it, to see what Jack would do next. I hadnt looked forward to an album this much since The Black Keys after Rubber Factory. I loved all the singles that we're released, and much like yourself i am pumped for the next go around. Having Jack making tunes is waaaaaaaaaaaay better than no tunes from Jack.
Ah, actually we're not in the same boat, unless the "not" in "Its not pretty good" is a typo. I love Blunderbuss. But I also think that, as far as solo material goes, it's only the tip of the iceberg of what Jack can, and probably will, do.
i meant we are in the same boat in reference to "when jacks career finally comes to an end, this will not necessarily be one of the albums he's remembered for." Just the idea that this may not be his medal of honor album. Sorry for the confusion, btw, hope your bike is getting some continued love
Last edited by csbanta on Wed May 02, 2012 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

csbanta wrote:i meant we are in the same boat in reference to "when jacks career finally comes to an end, this will not necessarily be one of the albums he's remembered for." Just the idea that this may no be he medal of honor album. Sorry for the confusion, btw, hope your bike is getting some continued love
Ah, thanks for clarifying. Yes, same boat. This album is a milestone, but likely not one of the milestones of his career.

And, between weird weather forecasts, work, and the Jack gig this past weekend, my poor bike has not gotten enough love this spring. Gonna make up for it soon. Hopefully yours is faring better.
2crazikids
Little Acorn

Post by 2crazikids »

Wowsers! It's # 1 on the Billboard charts??!! (is it ok to mention such a mainstream thing here? :oops: ) Not sure how I feel about that but I bet Jack is thrilled!
sandmaniac3
Little Acorn

Post by sandmaniac3 »

He deserved to hit number one with at least one of his records. I'm not thrilled about all the annoying people that will start liking him because he is popular. But it is the nature of the beast. I'm glad more people will have exposure to his music, I just don't like the way they can change the vibe at concerts.