Boarding House Reach

Love interruption --->
Melon
Little Ghost

Re: Boarding House Reach

Post by Melon »

Stl_ben wrote:The rave reviews are coming in:
https://www.stereogum.com/1987906/prema ... valuation/
Damn. Hopefully it's just a detour though.
houses are full of things that gather dust
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

shaneoftheroad wrote:Ice Station Zebra was one of my favorite songs he played last night. It comes across so intense live, I can't wait to hear the recording. I also very much enjoyed What's Done is Done with Carla on harmonies. Corporation comes across VERY well live as well.
seems to be available to listen to on Youtube now

pj101ca
Little Acorn

Post by pj101ca »

Ouch!
Mick III
Little Acorn

Post by Mick III »

Well I read a review which said that the album was different, because Jack White created him in a different way. And the review also said that Jack White himself was aware about the new sound, he said "my new album is weird". I listened it twice. First time I was chocked. Seriously it is strange, sound are so crazy, there is poems, in the album, we have pure rock, hip hip, country, electronic... But the second time, I think I understand this project. An album directly created in his mind, no filters, an explosion of sound, minimalist lyrics (that's pity), but finally I start to like it. Remember when people and critics said "new album of Jack White, it is the sound of Jack White, not big surprise". Boarder House Reach is so different, there is a new proposal. We can't be always negative. Finally I understand both sides. It is new, but sometime we need to be push out ours limits.
curseofhalos

Post by curseofhalos »

Me no likey. :thumbdown:

That's all the review I'll give it. Can't all be winners!

That being said, I will try to watch the live stream tonight because I am very interested in seeing this new band live. I have a feeling most of the songs will translate better in a live setting.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

curseofhalos wrote:Me no likey. :thumbdown:

That's all the review I'll give it. Can't all be winners!

That being said, I will try to watch the live stream tonight because I am very interested in seeing this new band live. I have a feeling most of the songs will translate better in a live setting.
I've now heard the album in full and I have seen a live show. The album is not for me. I'll pull the four tunes I enjoy ("Ice Station Zebra," "Everything You've Ever Learned," "Over and Over and Over" and "Humoresque") for a Jack White iPod playlist and the record itself will be placed on my B-shelf in the back of my house. I just can't see myself spinning it ever again. But at least I like those songs.

And the live show was astonishing as usual. The live show proves the songs aren't all that bad, they're just not presented well on the album. For example "What's Done is Done" was incredibly pleasant live, I loved it. I was looking forward to hearing it on the album but they ruined it with an off-key droning electronic sound that sounds like you're listening to the song on a warped record. But the song itself is solid.

Anyway, I'm in the "disappointed but that's okay" category. I give it maybe 2 stars out of 5. Maybe a bit less. But I haven't given up on Jack. The guy is obviously a genius. He just had to get whatever this was out of his system.
Last edited by shaneoftheroad on Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Miss X
Little Bird

Post by Miss X »

Well, I never knew I had Misophonia until I listened to this album. I hate to admit it- but not a fan, and I really, really wanted to like it. I'm 3 listens in, but I'm not going to force myself to like it just because it's Jack White and I love everything he does. I am still looking forward to hearing some songs live though.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

I don't want to imply the album has no worth. I want to make that clear. I THINK I understand why he did it and I respect his choices as an artist. It's his own expression and art is wonderful that way. So instead of bashing the work itself I will simply say "I prefer everything that came before."

But the work is not worthless.
curseofhalos

Post by curseofhalos »

shaneoftheroad wrote:I don't want to imply the album has no worth. I want to make that clear. I THINK I understand why he did it and I respect his choices as an artist. It's his own expression and art is wonderful that way. So instead of bashing the work itself I will simply say "I prefer everything that came before."

There are songs i would have liked if there weren't something that ruined it for me. Usually production or a backing vocal/vocal choice. Sometimes I just wish he had someone in the room to tell him "That's not a good idea." :lol:
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Post by runofthemill »

arewhyehen wrote:
runofthemill wrote:TWO-SIDED - So, then, what's on the b-side I wonder.
I was thinking the same thing. Something not on the album would be sweet.
Apparently it is the song "Everything You've Ever Learned"

I learned this from eBay...
Melon
Little Ghost

Post by Melon »

Another rough review: https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/bo ... use-reach/

Throughout all the hype I kept figuring it would eventually all click. The only thing about this record that ever intrigued me was that first sample video with all the small clips. Since then everything has been underwhelming or down right weak. Even the cover art. Hopefully this isn't his jump the shark moment.
houses are full of things that gather dust
Mick III
Little Acorn

Post by Mick III »

shaneoftheroad wrote:I don't want to imply the album has no worth. I want to make that clear. I THINK I understand why he did it and I respect his choices as an artist. It's his own expression and art is wonderful that way. So instead of bashing the work itself I will simply say "I prefer everything that came before."

100% agree with you, exactly what I think.
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

The new merch is up.

“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
Mick III
Little Acorn

Post by Mick III »

I like also the album's cover (the vault one). On the back Jack White has his face in his hand. It is like, this one it is not him, but his mind, another personality. And we understand that point when you listen the album, all songs directly pick up in his mind.
themodvictorian
Little Bird

Post by themodvictorian »

Melon wrote:
Damn. Hopefully it's just a detour though.
Damn...that is savagery.