Boarding House Reach

Love interruption --->
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Re: Boarding House Reach

Post by shaneoftheroad »

OH SHIT! "Corporation" is what I've been waiting for! Well, at least so far. haha Gotta hear the whole song. But the groove so far is my favorite of any Jack solo song. GREAT!

https://thirdmanrecords.com/news/corpor ... re-orders/
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

BluefordT wrote:Found the OFFICIAL final lp cover!!!!
I don’t get it.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

"Corporation" turned out to be an extended instrumental jam. Killer groove but it gets repetitive after a couple minutes. In the first 20 seconds I was on board and ready for the badass Jack song I'd been waiting for but quickly realized this wasn't it. It's fun and will be played at many a basement party here at my place. But I won't be reaching for it when I'm alone.

Three down. One is (sorry, Jack) a somewhat generic ballad and two are instrumentals. As the kids say, it's for somebody. Not for me. But somebody.

Bring on the rest! I'm bound to bounce around for something!

shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

White's most freewheeling LP yet, featuring him leading the charge through several extended jams with flashes of psychedelia, jazz, guitar fireworks and digital trickery.
SEVERAL extended jams? Jams are more fun for the musician than the audience. Learned that long, long ago.
vandelpinkfloyd
Little Bird

Post by vandelpinkfloyd »

shaneoftheroad wrote:
White's most freewheeling LP yet, featuring him leading the charge through several extended jams with flashes of psychedelia, jazz, guitar fireworks and digital trickery.
SEVERAL extended jams? Jams are more fun for the musician than the audience. Learned that long, long ago.
I dig it! The intro to this new single reminds me of a re-worked intro of 'Electricity' from Safe As Milk. The keys in the middle are kinda Stevie Wonder tone which is cool. Ends a little strange but overall I'm down with it. Jams IMO are awesome in concert, not a huge fan of them for studio though.
Datch
Little Acorn

Post by Datch »

Once he was playing with groups he had assembled, White decided to revive a favorite of his: the manic stomper "Over and Over and Over," which he had written 13 years earlier and attempted to record with the White Stripes, the Raconteurs and even for a scrapped Jay-Z collaborative project. "I was just gonna hand it off to my grandchildren," White jokes. "It was sort of my white whale. I chased it and chased it, and finally, all of a sudden, it worked."
Well on the one hand this makes me really curious about this song, on the other hand I props shouldn't get my hopes up.
“More people know a fragment of his music than know his name.”
makers888
Little Acorn

Post by makers888 »

Is 'Corporation' a deleted Beastie Boys b-side jam? :lol:
bkramer10
Little Ghost

Post by bkramer10 »

So far only respect commander is the only good song to me. The other 2... not so much
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

makers888 wrote:Is 'Corporation' a deleted Beastie Boys b-side jam? :lol:
Actually that's a good comparison. I really wish he'd laid down some verses, this could have been huge.

(I know the Beastie Boys had some instrumentals too. Just wish this had been a fully fleshed out song.)
vandelpinkfloyd
Little Bird

Post by vandelpinkfloyd »

Yeah The Mix-Up by Beastie Boys was an entirely instrumental album that's actually really good. Won a Gram
Mick III
Little Acorn

Post by Mick III »

Jack White... Are you lost? Don't like it very much... It starts not good. 3 songs and 2 I don't like. Maybe subscribe for the VP 35 wasn't a good idea. Well 4 years for that...
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Mick III wrote:Jack White... Are you lost? Don't like it very much... It starts not good. 3 songs and 2 I don't like. Maybe subscribe for the VP 35 wasn't a good idea. Well 4 years for that...
Well, it ain't over 'til it's over. Quite a few songs left. My favorite tracks from Blunderbuss ("Hip Eponymous Poor Boy," "I Guess I Should Go To Sleep") and Lazaretto ("Alone in My Home," "Want and Able") weren't singles. I actually dig the vibe of "Corporation," I just wish it hadn't been an instrumental jam.

I still have high hopes for the album. But if it doesn't hit me I'll be the first to say so.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Mick III wrote:Jack White... Are you lost? Don't like it very much... It starts not good. 3 songs and 2 I don't like. Maybe subscribe for the VP 35 wasn't a good idea. Well 4 years for that...
I’m 0/3 on liking the tracks so far. It sort of makes up for me missing out on tickets to all the others shows I was planning on.
Mick III
Little Acorn

Post by Mick III »

I understand you. I love all songs of last album. And this time... Corporation is boring, no inspiration, easy riff and to long (5 minutes for nothing). But yes there is 13 songs and maybe we will be surprise. But there is something I don't like it is the drum. What happened? It seems like it is an electric drum and not acoustic. The sound is garbage.