Boarding House Reach

Love interruption --->
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Re: Boarding House Reach

Post by shaneoftheroad »

That's a great interview, explains a lot. I'm disappointed in some of his choices (Pro-Tools, Jack?) but they are his choices.

I do disagree whenever he says the White Stripes was "Jack White solo." I mean, I get what he's trying to get across. But there's a reason nothing he's done outside the Stripes feels like the Stripes (with the exception, of course, of the Upholsterers). The simplified structure is IMPERATIVE for the White Stripes FEEL. If you take any Stripes song and add complicated instrumentation to it you get... Well, you get Jack White solo. And it doesn't work anywhere near the same level.

If Meg had played anything other than a simple BOOM! BOOM! beat I don't think anyone would've taken an interest. The White Stripes (and Jack White) would've been lost in a sea of others trying to do what they were doing. They would be just another band on a worn-out VHS of the garage rock phase in Detroit in the late 90's. The BOOM! BOOM! was important.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

I agree complete with solo being the stripes...basically what I've always thought. His Pumpkins comparison was spot on.
(Also thinks this makes the comparisons to the Black Keys even closer)
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Stl_ben wrote:I agree complete with solo being the stripes...basically what I've always thought. His Pumpkins comparison was spot on.
I do agree that if you took Blunderbuss and Lazaretto and used the Stripes setup they would both sound like Stripes albums. I absolutely do. But instrumentation is everything.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

shaneoftheroad wrote:
Stl_ben wrote:I agree complete with solo being the stripes...basically what I've always thought. His Pumpkins comparison was spot on.
I do agree that if you took Blunderbuss and Lazaretto and used the Stripes setup they would both sound like Stripes albums. I absolutely do. But instrumentation is everything.
But bands grow and change over time. Look at Foo Fighters or Smashing Pumpkins or Black Keys. They got bigger. Members left. Members joined. Their sound evolved. For better or worse. All 4 bands though had 1 central member though that was leading the band through all it's versions.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Oh, I agree. But in the context of the interview he's basically saying if he labeled the solo stuff "The White Stripes" people would still buy it and not know the difference. He's saying they're paying attention to the label and not the music.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

shaneoftheroad wrote:Oh, I agree. But in the context of the interview he's basically saying if he labeled the solo stuff "The White Stripes" people would still buy it and not know the difference. He's saying they're paying attention to the label and not the music.
I would say some fans this is completely accurate. Not the super fans (guys that are on this site), but the more casual fans that just know the radio songs. Jack has built his solo tour up to arenas finally, but if it had stayed under the Stripes moniker I think it would have been there faster. Think the same path the Black Keys were on, 2 guys playing larger venues, expand to full band and then play arenas. If they had changed the band name they would have most likely had to went back down to smaller rooms (like Dan does solo or with the Arcs.) On the opposite end Smashing Pumpkins were playing arenas and had to go down to large rooms once Billy went solo, now basically the same band, but touring as SP again and back to arenas!
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

https://tidalxjackwhite.splashthat.com/ ... Gld7g7p8kT
TIDAL X: JACK WHITE
HEAR THE ALBUM BEFORE IT'S RELEASED.

TIDAL MEMBERS MUST RSVP BY WEDNESDAY AT 12PM LOCAL TIME TO QUALIFY AND WILL RECEIVE A CONFIRMATION E-MAIL PRIOR TO THE EVENT.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
chaptertwentyone
Little People

This line from his latest Rolling Stone interview just put the biggest smile on my face and upped my anxious anticipation of this album up three levels;
...and a general air of wacked-out dada whimsy that reminds you that Captain Beefheart has always been one of his musical lodestones – an early promo shot of Beefheart and his Magic Band is one of the many treasures in White's office.
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
‘MEMBER THAT?”
nrssab
Little Acorn

Post by nrssab »

chaptertwentyone wrote:
TIDAL X: JACK WHITE
HEAR THE ALBUM BEFORE IT'S RELEASED.

TIDAL MEMBERS MUST RSVP BY WEDNESDAY AT 12PM LOCAL TIME TO QUALIFY AND WILL RECEIVE A CONFIRMATION E-MAIL PRIOR TO THE EVENT.
Thank you! Apparently this giveaway is open from the 6th of March but I first today I got the message on TIDAL to participate. I hope I'm one of the first 25 to apply and get a double entry.
"If you can hear a piano fall, you can hear me coming down the hall".
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Why the first twenty five?
EDIT: Ah, yes. I just found it within the terms and conditions.
I was fortunate enough to get entry into the Tidal launch party a few years ago. Open bar, music stations all around, all the owners came out on stage and topped off with free headphones made for a neat event.
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
‘MEMBER THAT?”
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Someone over on Facebook said it's like he finally discovered digital editing and went batshit crazy. haha Crazy's cool sometimes. But in the digital world it's easy to go too far. I definitely wanna hear this album.
chaptertwentyone
Little People

After reading that Rolling Stone interview I also got the impression that THAT was the real Jack White. I don’t know how to coherently put it, but it’s just kind of like he wasn’t pushing a bit or trying to come off a certain way. I’m not sure how I feel about this... persona?
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
‘MEMBER THAT?”
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Well, it would appear that at least some of the city events are now filled or closed. New York was open yesterday morning and is now no longer an option.
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
‘MEMBER THAT?”
nrssab
Little Acorn

Post by nrssab »

chaptertwentyone wrote:Well, it would appear that at least some of the city events are now filled or closed. New York was open yesterday morning and is now no longer an option.
[/url]
Hey thanks for sharing this info, I checked and for now one can only RSVP for Zürich and Madrid. As I applied for Madrid I suppose I'm in but I still didn't get any confirmation email.
"If you can hear a piano fall, you can hear me coming down the hall".
chaptertwentyone
Little People

nrssab wrote:
chaptertwentyone wrote:Well, it would appear that at least some of the city events are now filled or closed. New York was open yesterday morning and is now no longer an option.
[/url]
Hey thanks for sharing this info, I checked and for now one can only RSVP for Zürich and Madrid. As I applied for Madrid I suppose I'm in but I still didn't get any confirmation email.
I believe the RSVP window was open until 12:00 PM local time today, and details and confirmations would follow from there. So, we’ll see what today brings.
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
‘MEMBER THAT?”