Love interruption --->
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Re: Jack White Acoustic Recordings 1998-2016 2LP

Post by Kali Durga »

Aquamarine wrote:
Coma16 wrote:
Aquamarine wrote:
Different point--a lot of negativity surrounding this album, for some reason, which I don't share in.
Where and about what?
Just opinions I've read in the webverse, questioning or speculating on the motives for releasing the album.
I've seen the phrase "cash-grab" a few times. Which I don't get. I mean, look at what Jack does with his cash. Even if this is that, at least we know the cash he's going to make from it will potentially be used for something else that we'll enjoy. Oh wait, I forgot, he's got that marina full of Tesla electric-powered yachts he has to pay for. That must be why he's putting out this album. Silly me.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Coma16
Little Cream Soda

Post by Coma16 »

Meh, if people don't like it then they should pass on buying it. It's not like he doesn't regularly release new music.
Miss X
Little Bird

Post by Miss X »

From what I've read, I think a lot of people thought it was going to be acoustic versions of electric stuff. I saw a complaint that there was really only one unreleased song aside from a couple b sides... Who knows. If it is just a compilation of his previous acoustic songs that are already on albums, I can see why people are confused about the point of the album. But I'll take anything from Jack that I can get!
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

As far as I'm concerned, he saw the popularity of his acoustic tour and the acoustic Vault package that came out of it, and thus decided to release a compilation of various acoustic numbers he's recorded over the years, with some bonus remixes and a new song--doesn't have to be any more nefarious or dramatic than that. Seems a totally kosher reason to release an album to me!
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

I wonder if this was a contractual obligation?
I didn't recognize the name of the guy doing the remastering either.
None of the usual suspects seem to have had a hand in this like RJ.
I'll still pick it up for the sake of novelty.
No rush.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

I've seen that argument a lot too. It wouldn't fit with the way he's handled his career so far, IMO. He seems like the last sort of artist who would want an album (double album, in fact) out there under his own name, and in worldwide release, that he considered in some sense sub-par. But who knows why he does anything, really.
Coma16
Little Cream Soda

Post by Coma16 »

I doubt it's contractual if Third Man is releasing it. I think his body of work warrants an essential like this. It's different, I like it!
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Coma16 wrote:I doubt it's contractual if Third Man is releasing it. I think his body of work warrants an essential like this. It's different, I like it!
According to Bull Moose's listing, it's coming out on TMR/Columbia, so it could be a contractual thing with Columbia. If it is, then he's certainly going about it the right way, for all the reasons Aquamarine described. If it isn't, then her scenario (to borrow one of Jack's favorite words) is even more valid. Either way, I'm looking forward to it. I've got a handful of Jack compilations already, from things other people have put together from live recordings to mixes I've made myself, but I don't have an acoustic one yet. If nothing else, I can't wait to read what Griel Marcus has to say about Jack's music.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

XL is also included on this dealio.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

I don't know.
This still feels like it's lacking the Third Man touch to it.
Just like the BBC sessions LP everything about this one screams "out of house" release.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

chaptertwentyone wrote:I don't know.
This still feels like it's lacking the Third Man touch to it.
Just like the BBC sessions LP everything about this one screams "out of house" release.
I agree - the recent vault package was almost just this. It's cool and all, just different. I guess if we got the same thing (more Dead Weather!) some of us might complain a bit more (not me - give me some more Dead Weather!)
G-squared
Little Cream Soda

Post by G-squared »

good discussion. I was a little let down when I realized that it was mostly just a compilation of already released stuff, but I'm still pretty stoked for the LPs because of the career spanning aspect; even convinced myself that there is a good amount of newness to it with different mixes of some old stuff. And I don't already have the B sides so it is all good for me.

Hard to speculate on motivation, but my opinion would be that the album is geared towards newer fans with the knowledge that the completeists (even the complaining ones) will buy it. Newer fans could be from the acoustic and PJ vaults (?).
Easier for me to speculate about the future, so it is worth mentioning that this year is the 30th anniversary of the bridge school benefit - an all acoustic concert hosted by Neil Young. I still stand by my opinion that JW said he was breaking from "touring" and that a couple of 45 minutes sets in October would not be something to consider impossible :crazy:

Because love...
Life is Music
And Music Isn't A Business
Iggy Pop
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

Unfortunately he said the break was from "performing live." http://jackwhiteiii.com/news/page/8/ The only exception so far has been the one-song Colbert performance with the DW.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Aquamarine wrote:Unfortunately he said the break was from "performing live." http://jackwhiteiii.com/news/page/8/ The only exception so far has been the one-song Colbert performance with the DW.
And the song he performed with Pearl Jam in the Blue Room.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

If you haven't been a vault member it's a great LP to pick up. The general public need their vinyl to

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody