POLL: Lazaretto - Just One Drink electric intro skip

Love interruption --->

Does the electric intro of your vinyl copy of Lazaretto play without skipping?

Yes
29%
No
48%
Haven't played it yet
12%
Didn't buy it
7%
Lazawhat?
3%

Total votes: 89

hsp88
Little Ghost

Re: POLL: Lazaretto - Just One Drink electric intro skip

Post by hsp88 »

there are multiple places on this record it sounds like my needle is having a not so fun time. it takes some time for both sides to catch the run in grooves
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

fillbuck wrote:
3rdmwsiy wrote:I wouldn't call it a skip on mine, I would say....a minor flaw...to me a skip is when it catches and keeps repeating and requires my assistance to keep playing, my black copy does blip for a half second but it continues playing without assistance. I didn't vote, but I guess that falls under the no option?

It doesn't bother me. Even if the grooves don't line up perfect, it's their first attempt!! This record is awesome flaws and all!!
maybe it's more of a pop?

Am I the only one that's bummed that the download gives you the electric opening and not the acoustic?
At least the acoustic intro doesn't skip.
Hyperbole used for effect!
Todd
Little Bird

Post by Todd »

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Turntable, mine has a very slight skip, no major distortion, just a blip.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

fillbuck wrote:
3rdmwsiy wrote:I wouldn't call it a skip on mine, I would say....a minor flaw...to me a skip is when it catches and keeps repeating and requires my assistance to keep playing, my black copy does blip for a half second but it continues playing without assistance. I didn't vote, but I guess that falls under the no option?

It doesn't bother me. Even if the grooves don't line up perfect, it's their first attempt!! This record is awesome flaws and all!!
maybe it's more of a pop?

Am I the only one that's bummed that the download gives you the electric opening and not the acoustic?
Well the acoustic version does not skip and the electric does on my Vault LP so I'm glad the download has the electric version. I have a black LP on the way and a CD.

I have a nice turntable, a very nice DAC / CD player. So I will post what differences I hear. Can't wait for the black vinyl !
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
destijl
Little Acorn

Post by destijl »

It is definitely where the grooves merge "j-Just one drink". I've also tried FIVE copies and they ALL do it. Other than that it plays fine.
•<Jack White> we also want to come up with vault packages you don't like, a streaming service to make rich people richer, a t shirt
too big for you, and a bunch of shit you don't want but we're hold ing a gun to your head to purchase.
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

I really hoped my black copy wouldn't have the same issue as my Vault-I was wrong.

Also, I get what KNARF is saying-I don't really consider it a true skip, so much as I think it's a poor transition from the attempted merga that causes it to slide backwards into the correct groove.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

Out of the four times I've played my Vault 20 it's been the acoustic intro all times but one.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
knoxvle
Little Acorn

Post by knoxvle »

I just have the black version (waiting for my vault version)
and my merge from acoustic into the regular song is flawless never heard a skip at all.
dreamover
Little Acorn

Post by dreamover »

knoxvle wrote:I just have the black version (waiting for my vault version)
and my merge from acoustic into the regular song is flawless never heard a skip at all.
yeah, the acoustic version doesn't have a problem, it's the electric intro that has the skip.
<Jack White> alright i'm out to feed my cats
=====================================
http://bit.ly/dreamovertl <--- my vinyl list
http://www.dreamoverrecords.com
skatevinyl
Little Bird

Post by skatevinyl »

Just spun my vault copy for the first time and for me it's the electric intro that skips. It played through the acoustic version with no skips but when I played the electric it had a pretty bad skip. Glad to know it's a known issue.
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

skatevinyl wrote:Just spun my vault copy for the first time and for me it's the electric intro that skips. It played through the acoustic version with no skips but when I played the electric it had a pretty bad skip. Glad to know it's a known issue.
Yes, they all skip.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

So apparently a lot of people haven't seen Blackwell's comments on this?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
destijl
Little Acorn

Post by destijl »

Kali Durga wrote:So apparently a lot of people haven't seen Blackwell's comments on this?
And where are Blackwell's comments?
•<Jack White> we also want to come up with vault packages you don't like, a streaming service to make rich people richer, a t shirt
too big for you, and a bunch of shit you don't want but we're hold ing a gun to your head to purchase.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

destijl wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:So apparently a lot of people haven't seen Blackwell's comments on this?
And where are Blackwell's comments?
Here-- http://www.whiteswirl.com/forum/viewtop ... 75#p224719

Excerpt pertinent to this thread--
also, the dual grooves of "Just One Drink" sound exactly as they're supposed to. there's no "skip" as this is again due to inherent limitations. joining two grooves is difficult enough, but trying to get them to join on beat, in time, is like trying to throw a thread through the eye of a needle from twenty yards away.

when getting the electric version to join the already-cut, pre-existing acoustic grooves, you're doing something that lathes were not made to do. so when played back, your turntable is trying to work with a groove formation it was not specifically made to handle. the only downside is that slight hiccup you hear on the electric version.

to the folks who claim they don't hear this on the electric version on their copies...i have no idea what they're listening to.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

subpopfan1 wrote:
KNARF wrote:
This supposed to be THE DEFINITIVE collector's version of Lazaretto.
They should surely repress it for Vault members so they get a copy that sounds like it should.
Many of these are not just noisy, but unlistenable.
What is URP like a mile away from TMR? Come on! Repress it and make everyone happy.

I can tell you that a high majority of vault members are very bummed out about this.
let me just clarify the necessary things:

different colors of vinyl have different heating/cooling temperatures. when a split-color process is implemented, there are some inherent limitations that are best exemplified by an audible "whoosh" when the needle crosses from one color to the other. we know this and knew this going into manufacturing Lazaretto. sometimes it's more pronounced than other times (i think transparent to opaque vinyl can be particularly discordant)

the claims here that the record is "unlistenable" and the demands of a repress are off-base, ill-informed and reckless. the vault package has definitely served its purpose in providing the "definitive collector's" version of Lazaretto. it's limited, it's colored vinyl, it's not available in stores and the numbers pressed on it are a small fraction compared to what was pressed on black vinyl.

is the audio quality better on the black vinyl? yes. in my opinion, and with my ears, this will ALWAYS be the case. if your biggest concern is audio quality, focus on black vinyl. if your focus is on collectability, focus on whatever is limited.

also, the dual grooves of "Just One Drink" sound exactly as they're supposed to. there's no "skip" as this is again due to inherent limitations. joining two grooves is difficult enough, but trying to get them to join on beat, in time, is like trying to throw a thread through the eye of a needle from twenty yards away.

when getting the electric version to join the already-cut, pre-existing acoustic grooves, you're doing something that lathes were not made to do. so when played back, your turntable is trying to work with a groove formation it was not specifically made to handle. the only downside is that slight hiccup you hear on the electric version.

to the folks who claim they don't hear this on the electric version on their copies...i have no idea what they're listening to.

i can also say the statement that "a high majority of vault members are bummed about this" is simply not true. without knowing how many vault members there are, how can anyone even use such a definable term as "high majority" in describing the number bummed? the "high majority" are perfectly happy with their packages. i know, because i know how many members there are and how many complaints we've received. and it's perfectly in line with our standard percentage of defects/complaints that we see with any vault package.

if after reading this anyone still feels like there's something catastrophically wrong with any part of their package and some sort of resolution is necessary, i'm sure you already know who to contact and how. just don't believe every last claim on here that the sky is falling.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net