Lazaretto

Love interruption --->
pigammon
Little Cream Soda

Re: Lazaretto

Post by pigammon »

Got the Ultra LP for Christmas and I have to say, I'm a tad disappointed.
While the album itself is great (I don't like Want And Able and I Think I Found The Culprit but everything else is amazing) there are a couple of problems with the LP. WYFFML has multiple skips on it, High Ball Stepper will not play past the intro unless I move the needle and the centre label tracks are basically unplayable because they keep skipping. I'm still really happy with it though!

Also, interestingly enough, I can't hear the skip on Just One Drink's electric intro that everyone keeps mentioning. Is it just my hearing or is my copy weirder than I thought?
Avatar is Fall by Bridget Riley. (1963)
Coma16
Little Cream Soda

Post by Coma16 »

pigammon wrote:Got the Ultra LP for Christmas and I have to say, I'm a tad disappointed.
While the album itself is great (I don't like Want And Able and I Think I Found The Culprit but everything else is amazing) there are a couple of problems with the LP. WYFFML has multiple skips on it, High Ball Stepper will not play past the intro unless I move the needle and the centre label tracks are basically unplayable because they keep skipping. I'm still really happy with it though!

Also, interestingly enough, I can't hear the skip on Just One Drink's electric intro that everyone keeps mentioning. Is it just my hearing or is my copy weirder than I thought?
If you can bring it back to the record to swap it out for another then you should.

Want and Able doesn't do much for me (it's a decent closer though) but I really like Birds of a Feather (Culprit).
cobytate
Little Cream Soda

Post by cobytate »

new post on jackwhiteiii.com about lazaretto being the best selling lp of the year, etc. etc. and it has a little blurb on the end that says:

“If you haven’t already, purchase your copy of the Lazaretto ULTRA LP here.” with “here” being a link to lazaretto in the tmr store…but it’s out of stock (and has been for a month). it’s just curious to me that they would do that.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

cobytate wrote:new post on jackwhiteiii.com about lazaretto being the best selling lp of the year, etc. etc. and it has a little blurb on the end that says:

“If you haven’t already, purchase your copy of the Lazaretto ULTRA LP here.” with “here” being a link to lazaretto in the tmr store…but it’s out of stock (and has been for a month). it’s just curious to me that they would do that.
It's not out of stock.,.....try again.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
cobytate
Little Cream Soda

Post by cobytate »

Stl_ben wrote:
cobytate wrote:new post on jackwhiteiii.com about lazaretto being the best selling lp of the year, etc. etc. and it has a little blurb on the end that says:

It's not out of stock.,.....try again.
haha…i swear it was when i posted. oh well!
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

cobytate wrote:new post on jackwhiteiii.com about lazaretto being the best selling lp of the year, etc. etc. ...
This part is notable. For a guy who once thought that no one would ever listen to his little two-person band to have the best selling vinyl record of 2014 with only seven months worth of sales is kind of impressive.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
DoctorTran37
Little Cream Soda

Post by DoctorTran37 »

Coma16 wrote:
pigammon wrote:Got the Ultra LP for Christmas and I have to say, I'm a tad disappointed.

If you can bring it back to the record to swap it out for another then you should.

Want and Able doesn't do much for me (it's a decent closer though) but I really like Birds of a Feather (Culprit).
I've had the same problems with the ULP... which is odd. I have the Vault Edition, and aside from some issues with it hitting the locked outros, it plays through just fine. However, I got in on the Lazaretto Roulette, the first one they sent me had repetitive skips on Lazaretto, WYFFML, and High Ball Stepper, as well as skips on side B, just cant recall which songs they were. I had contacted TMR about it and they shipped a new one to me... well it had the same problem. Contacted them again, asked if they could check the record before shipping it, well apparently they didn't go past Lazaretto because all the other songs that I had problems with... still skip. So now I have four copies of Lazaretto, all of which skip except for the Vault edition... I'm frustrated.

I also tried replacing my year old needle... and that wasn't the issue. That said my turntable is a AT LP-60, so I cannot adjust my anti-skipping or tone arm weight. I'm actually planning to upgrade, so we'll see then.

In the end, I guess I'm just going to have to keep spinning my Vault edition, which I had hoped to retire.
Coma16
Little Cream Soda

Post by Coma16 »

Does anyone have the decent audio for the 2 hidden tracks on Lazarato? I've played mine once each and they weren't good. I don't want to play them again in case it messes up my needle.
G-squared
Little Cream Soda

Post by G-squared »

I finally dug into lazaretto last weekend (gave it my undivided attention and read all the lyrics and credits) and my 3 thoughts were:

1) This is a really solid album - musicianship and lyrics. *temporary ground became more than a plate tectonics reference (my bias)
2) Carla is a great drummer !!!
2) I wish I could have a black vinyl copy without the "Ultra" because starting from the runout and then the loop of noise when it gets to the outer edge kinda bugs me.
Life is Music
And Music Isn't A Business
Iggy Pop
koala
Little Acorn

Post by koala »

G-squared wrote: 2) Carla is a great drummer !!!
Absolutely Agree.
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

Still an all around "Eh" album to me.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
G-squared
Little Cream Soda

Post by G-squared »

chaptertwentyone wrote:Still an all around "Eh" album to me.
"Eh"? meaning wtf? or closer to meh?

I admit that I don't totally get the "the admitting of patience". 3 people in the same brain? the 3 types of people, ala Fiztgerald?

I apologize if you are referencing something you already posted; I didn't read the whole thread.
Life is Music
And Music Isn't A Business
Iggy Pop
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

Yeah, just "meh".
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

I hope they do a reissue without the gimmicks with better sound quality !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

G-squared wrote:I admit that I don't totally get the "the admitting of patience". 3 people in the same brain? the 3 types of people, ala Fiztgerald?
I don't know about Fitzgerald, but "the admitting of patience" hit me like a ton of bricks.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."