Lazaretto

Love interruption --->
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Re: Lazaretto

Post by Kali Durga »

No. But why remember the anniversary of something you didn't like?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

Why not?
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

chaptertwentyone wrote:Three years ago today we were introduced to what I consider Jack's worst album. Soon after followed by his second worst.
Haha, well I wouldn't be so harsh about it, but I agree that his solo stuff is my least favourite of his work. That doesn't take away from the fact that I go see him whenever and where ever I can while he's on tour. The fact that he plays music from ALL his bands while on tour makes for a hell of a show.
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

Somehow I managed to get used to this album and listen to it from time to time.
Some very good songs on it that stand right next to Jack's gems throughout his career.
There is one thing that I cannot stand though and this is the black vinyl pressing of the the LP.
Pisses me off every single time I am spinning this and it would certainly get more play time if it was a normal vinyl record.
Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

trickster wrote:Pisses me off every single time I am spinning this and it would certainly get more play time if it was a normal vinyl record.
+1

Wish just the vault version was with all the "special features" and the standard black was simple to play. Haha Don't expect anything to be easy when it comes to Jack though..
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

The crazy crap got a ton of press and media coverage though, no doubt part of the reason the album broke sales records.

For the record, I love Lazaretto. Better than Blunderbuss for me and I loved that too.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

chaptertwentyone wrote:Three years ago today we were introduced to what I consider Jack's worst album. Soon after followed by his second worst.
Lazzerghetto was at least better than the completely forgettable third DW LP.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Blunderbuss left me mostly cold, though there were definitely some shining moments. I didn't have high hopes for Lazaretto but I was in the audience for the World's Fastest Record, where he debuted several songs live. And they all blew me away. Every tune he played that day thrilled me. I'll never forget it. I love Lazaretto. Sure, it doesn't hold up to the weakest Stripes album. But it isn't supposed to compare.

And of course I'm excited about the prospect of more from Jack. I can't wait.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Stl_ben wrote:
Yes..give me a third Raconteurs album.
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

this is funny as i mostly agree with all the varying opinions started by the "anniversary" rant. i too think this is the least of jack's efforts and is mostly forgettable for me. i rarely play it. but Kali - and i rarely agree with that guy - we have to like every single thing Jack does? this is a message board, not necessarily a "fan site". as it says up there "COLLECTORS Forum". we all have different opinions. and ben - i think the completely forgettable TDW record was the second one, not the third. and i rarely agree with ryN - let's get a third racs record...

but hey, what do i know? :thumbup: :wave: :arrow: :clap: :shh:
he is everything i hate...
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Ok
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
‘MEMBER THAT?”
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Stl_ben wrote:
That's what I was referring to. They went from a gothic blues band to... a "rock" band.
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
‘MEMBER THAT?”
chaptertwentyone
Little People

As for Lazaretto? It's just boring. Every aspect of this record from the vinyl gimmicks, to the song writing and even down to press release from Ben that's printed in the Vault 20 booklet just scream of desperation. It all comes off like they knew the album wasn't all that great and are trying fluff up and validate it by saying things like; "Oh, well he co-wrote this song with a deceased blues musician. Crazy! This one he co-wrote with his teenage self! Wild! This record is the first ever to be shiny on one side and not shiny on the other! Zany!" It just comes off cheap. I feel like people in the fan community are afraid to say that something Jack does isn't good. Yeah, ICP and Olivia Jean blah blah blah. Seriously though, if an album is bad its bad. Don't be afraid to have a negative opinion about something he himself puts out. You don't have to convince yourself it's good and talk yourself into liking it just because his name is attached to it. That takes it to a whole other point about Jack fans as well. Saying things like "Oh! He's challenging us!" or "I love when he's in this sort of mood" when recounting something he's said in Vault chat. It's just cringeworthy and creepy. That personal connotation to what you're saying about someone you've never met and don't know. Or when he's talking about some Michael Jackson thing or a Police single or whatever it may be and you rush off and study it because it's something he said. Blegh. Just gives me the creeps. Have your own identity, you know? I've seen it with plenty of folks and it just weirds me out.
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
‘MEMBER THAT?”
chaptertwentyone
Little People

...back to the matter at hand. Yeah, Lazaretto was a bore. I've got high hopes for whatever's he's working on in that apartment. Just please, please no more country inflection. We get it, you live in Nashville. You haven't sung like that for twenty years, and we can just leave that shit back in Vault 28 please.
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
‘MEMBER THAT?”
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

elduderino wrote:but hey, what do i know? :thumbup: :wave: :arrow: :clap: :shh:
That's the beauty thing about opinions...they can pretty much be whatever you want, especially when it comes to music.