Lazaretto

Love interruption --->
pigammon
Little Cream Soda

Re: Lazaretto

Post by pigammon »

chaptertwentyone wrote:Still an all around "Eh" album to me.
Side A is extremely kick ass, but Side B has a large quantity of Eh, I agree. That Black Bat Licorice nearly redeems it, but then god f.cking Entitlement...
Avatar is Fall by Bridget Riley. (1963)
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

The album as a whole never sat well with me, very forgettable.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
scoliosispony
Little Acorn

Post by scoliosispony »

I think it kicks Blunderbuss' ass
i won't let love disrupt, corrupt, or interrupt me anymore...

Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

scoliosispony wrote:I think it kicks Blunderbuss' ass
So do I. I found Blunderbuss to be pretty patchy, although some of it grew on me after hearing the live versions. Totally into Lazaretto from the first spin.
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

pigammon wrote:
chaptertwentyone wrote:Still an all around "Eh" album to me.
Side A is extremely kick ass, but Side B has a large quantity of Eh, I agree. That Black Bat Licorice nearly redeems it, but then god f.cking Entitlement...
Entitlement became one of my favourite tracks on the album after watching this version:

Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Entitlement took me totally by surprise. When the track list leaked, I assumed the same as many people, that it was going to be a cranky Jack White "rant" song. But the fact that it's so damned pretty completely disarmed me (and I'll admit that I agree with much of the sentiment). The audience response to that song, at the shows I attended at which he performed it, was fantastic, too. Huge cheers. And I got the biggest kick out of hearing all these guys around me who looked like total jocks singing along with it.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

I'm gonna say it——————

If you're a Jack White fan and you think Lazaretto is just "eh," you're mighty jaded.
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Eh.
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
‘MEMBER THAT?”
G-squared
Little Cream Soda

Post by G-squared »

Kali Durga wrote:
G-squared wrote:3 people in the same brain? the 3 types of people, ala Fiztgerald?
I don't know about Fitzgerald,...
There is a line in Gatsby that is something like "there are three kinds of people: the pursued; the pursuers; and the tired"
Life is Music
And Music Isn't A Business
Iggy Pop
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

G-squared wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:
G-squared wrote:3 people in the same brain? the 3 types of people, ala Fiztgerald?
There is a line in Gatsby that is something like "there are three kinds of people: the pursued; the pursuers; and the tired"
Interesting. But I think the various types of people we can have in our heads are a bit more diverse. Those ^^ are certainly included, though.

Purely out of curiosity, if that aspect of "the admitting of patience" gave you trouble, how do you feel about 300mph Torrential Outpour Blues?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
G-squared
Little Cream Soda

Post by G-squared »

Kali Durga wrote:
G-squared wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:
Interesting. But I think the various types of people we can have in our heads are a bit more diverse. Those ^^ are certainly included, though.

Purely out of curiosity, if that aspect of "the admitting of patience" gave you trouble, how do you feel about 300mph Torrential Outpour Blues?
my trouble with the admitting of patience is not being able to see the cohesion (?) the meaning as a whole (?) I feel like I am over or under thinking it.

my quote above was actually 2 separate ideas. the mirror verse in 300mphTOB was in my mind for the different people in the same brain possibility. are the three characters the same person? is the brevity of character 3 indicating the admitting of patience? is it that simple?

The Fitzgerald concept I see more as attitude "types" and more absolute - only these 3 types. my idea here was that the 3 different quotes could be interpreted as belonging to the Gatsby categories.
Life is Music
And Music Isn't A Business
Iggy Pop
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

G-squared wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:
G-squared wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:

my trouble with the admitting of patience is not being able to see the cohesion (?) the meaning as a whole (?) I feel like I am over or under thinking it.

my quote above was actually 2 separate ideas. the mirror verse in 300mphTOB was in my mind for the different people in the same brain possibility. are the three characters the same person? is the brevity of character 3 indicating the admitting of patience? is it that simple?

The Fitzgerald concept I see more as attitude "types" and more absolute - only these 3 types. my idea here was that the 3 different quotes could be interpreted as belonging to the Gatsby categories.
Ah, I get'cha. I definitely see the three characters in admitting of patience as parts of the same person. Two different insecurities, and one over-arching ego (in the Jungian sense of self, not that of egotism) that neutrally comprehends them both, that is patient with both patients. Maybe the fact that 300mph Blues is one of my favorite songs influenced my interpretation of it, or maybe the same idea from admitting of patience (supposedly one of the things Jack wrote when he was 19) crept into 300mph. But your idea of fitting them into Gatsby's categories is interesting, I'm going to have to think about that.
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Three years ago today we were introduced to what I consider Jack's worst album. Soon after followed by his second worst.
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
‘MEMBER THAT?”
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Then why are you still around?
chaptertwentyone
Little People

I have to like every single thing Jack White does to be a fan of his music?
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
‘MEMBER THAT?”