Lazaretto

Love interruption --->
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Re: Lazaretto

Post by shaneoftheroad »

I think I've proven I'm not a zombie yes-man when it comes to Third Man projects. I wasn't big on Blunderbuss, Dodge & Burn or a few other projects. But I truly enjoy Lazaretto. Sometimes people honestly like different things. It really can be that simple.
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

shaneoftheroad wrote:I think I've proven I'm not a zombie yes-man when it comes to Third Man projects. I wasn't big on Blunderbuss, Dodge & Burn or a few other projects. But I truly enjoy Lazaretto. Sometimes people honestly like different things. It really can be that simple.
Which is a good thing! Differing opinions are important and especially when it comes to discussing music.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

shaneoftheroad wrote:I think I've proven I'm not a zombie yes-man when it comes to Third Man projects. I wasn't big on Blunderbuss, Dodge & Burn or a few other projects. But I truly enjoy Lazaretto. Sometimes people honestly like different things. It really can be that simple.
Yeah, I stopped buying everything TMR or Jack puts their name on a long time ago. I am pretty picky with what I purchase now days.
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

Any album where JW's a primary performer, I'm buying. Nobody more talented, and I loved Lazaretto (way better than Blunderbuss, but I liked that too. Never heard any JW music I didn't like, that I can think of). I don't buy all the records he produces and plays a supporting musical role on, though. Lot of stuff I'm not interested in there.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

elduderino wrote:but Kali - and i rarely agree with that guy - we have to like every single thing Jack does? this is a message board, not necessarily a "fan site". as it says up there "COLLECTORS Forum". we all have different opinions.
I don't like every single thing Jack does and I've never said anyone else should. But when a person whom I frequently find annoying anyway resurrects a thread just to say "Hey, this thing Jack did sucks", it makes me feel a little snarky. Isn't that one of the beauties of Swirl, that people can get snarky with each other sometimes and yet we all still keep coming back?

For what it's worth,and if you read back through this thread you'll probably see that I've already said this, Lazaretto is my least favorite of Jack's records, too. But I wouldn't use the word "worst" to describe it because I don't believe it's a bad record.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Kali Durga wrote:
elduderino wrote:For what it's worth,and if you read back through this thread you'll probably see that I've already said this, Lazaretto is my least favorite of Jack's records, too. But I wouldn't use the word "worst" to describe it because I don't believe it's a bad record.
Least favorite = worst
Semantics.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

Just to get this out of the way——> the last DW LP is anger-inducingly forgettable. I had it one a couple weeks ago in a sort of "give it another shot" session and the thing just traveled by without incident. Why "anger"? Because goddamn look who's in that group. The song flow is disjointed, the melodies are faceless, nameless—not one song made me want to put the needle back to the beginning. If it weren't for Alison's voice, this record would be completely unforgettable IM(who-gives-a-shit-except-me)O.

Which brings me to Lazaretto: "WYFFML?" got multiple replays from me—am I the only one who thinks it's one of JW's very best songs? In fact, my opinion of this album hasn't changed since the first month I owned it: Those first 4 songs are just super-killer shit—powerful, open, memorable. Then "HBS," which I just never took a liking to—it's okay . . . but I felt like, okay, it's the lead-in to side two, get ready for the ride . . .

. . . and then you get to side 2. ZZZZZZ . . . it brings on such a letdown for me . . . I think "Culprit" is a decent song, but the rest of side 2 doesn't stick with me in any positive way. Colorfully bland songs.

(I guess I'm in the minority here—with the exception of 3 songs, I like Blunderbuss a lot.)

All this being said, I will always see JW live—never been disappointed seeing him onstage and I couldn't care less if his new album is a masterpiece of a piece of crap—when he plays live, I'm going.

Here's hoping the apartment record blows our minds.
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

woodisgood wrote:Which brings me to Lazaretto: "WYFFML?" got multiple replays from me—am I the only one who thinks it's one of JW's very best songs?
I am with you here. I would put WYFFML in my top 5 fav songs from Jack with Blue Orchid and some old Racs. This song really seemed to stand out on its own for me on this album.
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

Stl_ben wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:
elduderino wrote:For what it's worth,and if you read back through this thread you'll probably see that I've already said this, Lazaretto is my least favorite of Jack's records, too. But I wouldn't use the word "worst" to describe it because I don't believe it's a bad record.
Least favorite = worst
Semantics.
That's not my quote
he is everything i hate...
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

elduderino wrote:
Stl_ben wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:
Least favorite = worst
Semantics.
That's not my quote
IT is now.
Alterna-Facts
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
Coma16
Little Cream Soda

Post by Coma16 »

I prefer Blunderbuss over Lazaretto but I still think it has got some great tunes. I like the majority of the "gimmicks" onthe record, with the exceptions of side-1 playing from the inside out, as well as the very loud annoying endless loop after HBS.

Third Dead Weather album was someone weak imo. I really like Three Dollar Hat though.

Also, I've really enjoyed the Acoustic compilation as well. Looking forward to see/hear what's next!
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Coma16 wrote:I prefer Blunderbuss over Lazaretto but I still think it has got some great tunes. I like the majority of the "gimmicks" onthe record, with the exceptions of side-1 playing from the inside out, as well as the very loud annoying endless loop after HBS.

Third Dead Weather album was someone weak imo. I really like Three Dollar Hat though.

Also, I've really enjoyed the Acoustic compilation as well. Looking forward to see/hear what's next!
We're on a similar wavelength on all of those things^^ Except that I love that annoying endless loop at the end of HBS, precisely because it's annoying.

Third Dead Weather album isn't a Dead Weather album, it's an Alison Mosshart album with the guys from the DW as her backing band. And Three Dollar Hat is one of the most genius things Jack's ever done.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."