Jack White III Solo Album Blunderbuss

Love interruption --->
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Re: Jack White III Solo Album Blunderbuss

Post by Kali Durga »

12stars wrote:What does the bird have in is mouth ( round looking thing)?
Black vulture with a quarter.

Oh man, was this ever worth the wait all the way through February, March, and most of April. There's so much about it that I love, from the music to the visual motifs to the lyrics to the overall thing of it. It's so... Jack.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
cmelo

Post by cmelo »

love_islander wrote:
12stars wrote:Could someone please explain Jack's comment about how some modern day artists are selling authenticity through blues music. Just HOW are they doing that?
he kind of explains it in It Might Get Loud about how blues came out of the depression years, racism, and slavery of black people. You might think "wow, Jack (or anybody) is deep for being able to pull off blues music, but they don't have the struggle behind it like years of the aforementioned hardships.

To put it another way, if I started releasing and selling lots of copies of songs about menstrual cramps (there are so many hit titles I could rattle off), people might think me, despite being a male, must be authentic about menstrual cramps. No matter how much people might say it, I've got no idea what they are like
Trust me. They authentically suck.
cmelo

Post by cmelo »

12stars wrote:Could someone please explain Jack's comment about how some modern day artists are selling authenticity through blues music. Just HOW are they doing that?
(hi!) He also mentioned in a recent Vault chat that he was reading the book Faking It, about authenticity in popular music. More info here: http://fakingit.typepad.com/
roxxan23
Little Cream Soda

Post by roxxan23 »

Loving the album. I listened to the stream a few times, but wanted to be sure I didn't burn out before I even got it. Today the vinyl arrived so I've listened to it over and over and over and over. Haha. <3!
TommyLittle
Little Cream Soda

III

Post by TommyLittle »

III
Last edited by TommyLittle on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

TommyLittle wrote:Did anybody have success with the digital download from URP? It didn't work for me.
Probably not available before the album is officially released.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
roxxan23
Little Cream Soda

Post by roxxan23 »

Mine worked fine today.
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

cmelo wrote:
:lol:

That's as probably as good as I could have hoped for as a response
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

Got mine today . . . enjoying now with a Sixpoint Bengali Tiger and Pappy Van Winkle 20 . . . beautiful package . . . great sleeve, great artwork . . . love the "went-the-extra-mile" inner sleeve. What an amazing record, and it SOUNDS fantastic. Goddamn that Carla Azar, what a drummer! This album really does lyrically feel/sound like Jack's Blood on the Tracks. And immediately just as classic. "Hypocritical Kiss" is outrageously deep. What a work of art . . . . . . . . . . . . .
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

What was the special release for this supposed to be again?
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

I wasn't able to see it (too short) but the copy that was played in the RRS today was apparently light blue. Saw them bring over a sealed copy as well as a bunch of bags. We peered over the fence to watch them open it and a few people were sure they saw that it was the same color as Jack's light blue theme that he's got going on.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
hawke000

Post by hawke000 »

orangeshoeskid wrote:I wasn't able to see it (too short) but the copy that was played in the RRS today was apparently light blue. Saw them bring over a sealed copy as well as a bunch of bags. We peered over the fence to watch them open it and a few people were sure they saw that it was the same color as Jack's light blue theme that he's got going on.
getting TMR staff in trouble tsk tsk
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

cmelo wrote:
love_islander wrote:
he kind of explains it in It Might Get Loud about how blues came out of the depression years, racism, and slavery of black people. You might think "wow, Jack (or anybody) is deep for being able to pull off blues music, but they don't have the struggle behind it like years of the aforementioned hardships.

To put it another way, if I started releasing and selling lots of copies of songs about menstrual cramps (there are so many hit titles I could rattle off), people might think me, despite being a male, must be authentic about menstrual cramps. No matter how much people might say it, I've got no idea what they are like
yes... they are like someone reaching up inside of you and yanking out your intestines slowly over a series of hours... that having been said i will just say that bringing honor and crediting the old blues folks in a way that pays them is something that i have found to be a compassionate art form if one knows what one is doing and makes a cover that also displays artistry as opposed to a fine copy which may as well be fronted by an unknown craftsman for the sake of reproducing it unremarkably

case in point would be the many many songs that i have heard from Black Keys which are indiscriminately generic from other contemporary blues artists such as gary clark

try as i might i have not been able to discredit an artform just because there are lesser people attempting it... of course im not trying too hard but that having been said let me point out that the blues was as much about poverty and not being able to do much more than nail a string to the wall to learn or enjoy some front porch family time which is nothing in the measure of racism in and of itself but rather more to how a dominant culture of banking as a process of taking over land spilled into the personal lives and economic spoils of their dirty little war on American Freedoms ... even civil liberties if you will

racism did force the bluesmen to hit the road and look for work as well as resort to a life of crime from time to time but the loose women and the speakeasy and the hard times was a plenty for any guy who wanted to sing about it ... but what we really have to take note of is the times and the economy because Jazz was and is mixed with the blues often even though the art and the style and the participants clearly indicate that these fellas could afford better instruments and better drugs more like what them doctors offices are handing out during war times etc. etc... its all about the locations of where and how folks lived along with economy and culture when it comes to these original forms and their makers just as we see with Scott Joplin whose mama was from kentucky and his daddy was from texas ... authenticity is related to all this

Bluegrass is another example of how a musical form is getting co-opted by other cultures and people who aint from the hills but the way we look at that is that them whites and blacks was sittin on they porch together not worried about the shotgun in the corner just a pickin and grinnin until the bank man and the coal man came and tore old dixie down ... thats when you had to start worryin about who your daughter was sneakin off with and if'in they was gonna be able to work and pay to raise that baby ... here is the straight dope on the east coast blues made by the Melungeon people http://www.whatisamelungeon.webs.com/

the history and the origins of a people goes far beyond their race when it comes to fully respecting the culture and ambitions of its individuals such as we see when they are really only welcomed to work in certain regions and amongst particular economies such as we saw in the south with the declining agricultural society which has been replaced with migrancy and the prison culture that finds a reason why you must be guilty and then introduces you to their economy ... which is actually one of the other most unique things about the american economy besides the blues given that we are the worlds largest manufacturers of prisoners and prison culture ... slavery... yeah

Prisons and churches are by far and large the real home of the blues and the honky tonk that preached on sunday mornin after doin a whole lot of research on sinnin in the previous nights before with that tiny little pay check that lead you to drink out of somebodys dirty little shine still that would eventually be a the site of a shoot out when johnny law came to town for a piece of the cut such as we saw with George Washington and his mercenaries in the Whiskey Rebellion when it came time to tax the poor

so ultimately race is no greater a factor in the truth of playin the blues in all its variations so much as the formats used to instrument and market the sound goin on
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

what?

oh, and did some when mention pappy van winkle 20 year old?
he is everything i hate...
dcmak5
Little Acorn

Post by dcmak5 »

theeradicaleclectic wrote:
cmelo wrote:
love_islander wrote:

yes... they are like someone reaching up inside of you and yanking out your intestines slowly over a series of hours... that having been said i will just say that bringing honor and crediting the old blues folks in a way that pays them is something that i have found to be a compassionate art form if one knows what one is doing and makes a cover that also displays artistry as opposed to a fine copy which may as well be fronted by an unknown craftsman for the sake of reproducing it unremarkably

case in point would be the many many songs that i have heard from Black Keys which are indiscriminately generic from other contemporary blues artists such as gary clark

try as i might i have not been able to discredit an artform just because there are lesser people attempting it... of course im not trying too hard but that having been said let me point out that the blues was as much about poverty and not being able to do much more than nail a string to the wall to learn or enjoy some front porch family time which is nothing in the measure of racism in and of itself but rather more to how a dominant culture of banking as a process of taking over land spilled into the personal lives and economic spoils of their dirty little war on American Freedoms ... even civil liberties if you will

racism did force the bluesmen to hit the road and look for work as well as resort to a life of crime from time to time but the loose women and the speakeasy and the hard times was a plenty for any guy who wanted to sing about it ... but what we really have to take note of is the times and the economy because Jazz was and is mixed with the blues often even though the art and the style and the participants clearly indicate that these fellas could afford better instruments and better drugs more like what them doctors offices are handing out during war times etc. etc... its all about the locations of where and how folks lived along with economy and culture when it comes to these original forms and their makers just as we see with Scott Joplin whose mama was from kentucky and his daddy was from texas ... authenticity is related to all this

Bluegrass is another example of how a musical form is getting co-opted by other cultures and people who aint from the hills but the way we look at that is that them whites and blacks was sittin on they porch together not worried about the shotgun in the corner just a pickin and grinnin until the bank man and the coal man came and tore old dixie down ... thats when you had to start worryin about who your daughter was sneakin off with and if'in they was gonna be able to work and pay to raise that baby ... here is the straight dope on the east coast blues made by the Melungeon people http://www.whatisamelungeon.webs.com/

the history and the origins of a people goes far beyond their race when it comes to fully respecting the culture and ambitions of its individuals such as we see when they are really only welcomed to work in certain regions and amongst particular economies such as we saw in the south with the declining agricultural society which has been replaced with migrancy and the prison culture that finds a reason why you must be guilty and then introduces you to their economy ... which is actually one of the other most unique things about the american economy besides the blues given that we are the worlds largest manufacturers of prisoners and prison culture ... slavery... yeah

Prisons and churches are by far and large the real home of the blues and the honky tonk that preached on sunday mornin after doin a whole lot of research on sinnin in the previous nights before with that tiny little pay check that lead you to drink out of somebodys dirty little shine still that would eventually be a the site of a shoot out when johnny law came to town for a piece of the cut such as we saw with George Washington and his mercenaries in the Whiskey Rebellion when it came time to tax the poor

so ultimately race is no greater a factor in the truth of playin the blues in all its variations so much as the formats used to instrument and market the sound goin on
No