Pokey LaFarge

Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Re: Pokey LaFarge

Post by Kali Durga »

candycaneboy03 wrote:there's something that La La Blues, Hard times come and Go, daffodil blues, and claude jones and the rest of riverboat for that matter, have that i'm hard pressed to find in this record...
Those are the exact songs that I keep thinking of when comparing the albums, as well. Oh, and Two-Faced Tom. And, hell, pretty much all of Riverboat, just like you said. There are so many songs on both Riverboat Soul and Middle of Everywhere that are just made for singing along. The TMR Blue Series is the same, both songs are a ton of fun to sing along with. The only song on the new record that I find myself singing at this point is Devil Ain't Lazy. I was also surprised at the show last week that Pokey didn't even encourage the audience to sing along on Hard Times, Pack It Up, or La La Blues. To me, that interaction is one of the most fun things about this band, along with the interaction amongst the band members themselves.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
maxman142001
Little Ghost

Post by maxman142001 »

We thought we'd share a piece of music history with you all... the time I signed my Third Man contract on a broken Jimmie Rodgers 78.
<<Jack White>> @Maxman142001 'let me tell you about my baby she was born out in arizona..."
ChrisClamp
Little Bird

Post by ChrisClamp »

So damn hard to get his LP in the UK! Had my local store on the case for a while but he's coming up empty at the moment. Anyone UKers had any luck?
Getbacktogether
Little Acorn

Post by Getbacktogether »

candycaneboy03 wrote:
dunedin wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:I'm lookin' at the album right now and Chloe Feoranzo is credited with clarinet. Alison Branum played violin & viola.

I have such mixed feelings about this record. Pokey has one of the most distinctive voices out there these days, he's truly one hell of a singer. And a terrific song-writer to boot. The addition of the horns really brings a nice jazzy snap to some of the songs. But does anyone else miss the South City Three interplay of the previous albums? I keep going back to Riverboat Soul. That record is just so much fun. This one's lovely and romantic, but the earlier one strikes me as more well-rounded somehow.
Disappointment is too strong, anti-climactic is the way I would describe my feeling after the first listen. I've enjoyed it more on subsequent listens. Maybe I was looking forward to it too much. I haven't seen a show yet, so it may be more fun in the live setting. I caved and bought Riverboat Soul on CD after holding out for a vinyl release for ages, and agree with you on that record.
i'm right there with both of you.....on every note...we all must be picking up on something universal here...

i'm giving the new album listen after listen but for the life of me their seems to be this instrumental continuity that seems to be missing from this record that the earlier records have.... perhaps it is the extra intruments...perhaps its the lyrical/melodical progression....idk...i really don't f'n know...its bugging me...perhaps after a couple of more listens i'll figure it out...

there's something that La La Blues, Hard times come and Go, daffodil blues, and claude jones and the rest of riverboat for that matter, have that i'm hard pressed to find in this record...

i'll be honest, Central Time is a track i find myself skipping....i honestly can't put my finger on why though....same thing with the music video, i wanted to stop watching it 1/4 of the way through, but kept going in case it'd catch on......it didnt....

I sure hope Riverboat gets a Vinyl release one day....

on another note, that Split 7" that Pokey did, (the one i linked to a page or two back), is fuckin awesome. I honestly can't get enough of that 7". Anita is hands down one of my favorite pokey tracks (not a cover right?).
After my first listen through i felt the same as all of you. After i saw them perform and listened to there new album many more times to be honest as a whole it is my favorite stuff that they have put out so far. Now i understand we all have different opinions but my view on this album is that its there best to date. There is something about listing to this record all the way through that i cant get enough of. I understand what people are saying but damn do i love this record and think its there best so far.
Getbacktogether
Little Acorn

I think all these songs are seriously amazing.

What The Rain Will Bring
Won'tcha Please Don't Do It
One Town at a Time
Kentucky Mae
Bowlegged Woman
City Summer Blues
Day After Day
Let's Get Lost
Close The Door
Home Away From Home
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

^^ Which is totally cool. It is great that we all have different perspectives on the same music, that gives us more to talk about rather than just preaching to the choir, "Yeah, I agree!"-type stuff. And I certainly don't dislike this album, it just doesn't get me jazzed the way the previous albums do.

I was gonna ask which your favorites tunes were so far, but you posted that as I was typing ;) I do like City Summer Blues very much.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

I've been waiting for Pokey to make a great album from beginning to end; I was hoping (expecting!) the new one would be it. Sadly it isn't. He's a phenomenal performer and I LOVE his band, and seeing them live is always a joy. But they haven't yet made their undeniable classic—I know he and they have it in them.

Just one lonely opinion!
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
Getbacktogether
Little Acorn

See i think this album from beginning to end is very good. Thats why im saying as a whole i love this album. Love every song except the devil aint lazy and central time just think there okay.
woodisgood
Little Ghost

HELP! Need MARMALADE

Post by woodisgood »

Howdy, all. Last year my laptop died and I lost a shit-ton of music. One of the things I lost was Marmalade by Pokey. Does anyone have a copy of the MP3s they could send me? I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you!
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

July 16th - David Letterman Show
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Whoa... Pokey's hittin' the big time. I have such mixed feelings about that.
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

Just bumping once more my need for Marmalade, if anyone can help.

And I am psyched he's hitting "the big time"—the man has been working hard a long long time to gain recognition for his talents. Being on Letterman is great for him!
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

woodisgood wrote:Just bumping once more my need for Marmalade, if anyone can help.

And I am psyched he's hitting "the big time"—the man has been working hard a long long time to gain recognition for his talents. Being on Letterman is great for him!
And if he can make a living playing music that is real, genuine, sincere, heartfelt, thoughtful, traditional, and fun in the era of Nikki Minaj, then more power to him! Hell, maybe he can do for trad jazz what Jack did for the blues...convince 13 year olds to dig deep into the musical well.
Hyperbole used for effect!
Kaber
Little People

Post by Kaber »

Lovely album - Hope he makes it to the UK soon
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

Kali Durga wrote:Whoa... Pokey's hittin' the big time. I have such mixed feelings about that.
Not necessarily, the Black Belles got the Colbert Bump but never really went anywhere.