http://www.dailyvinyl.net
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Re: Pokey LaFarge

Post by Kali Durga »

Stl_ben wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:Who's Alison?
Saxophone / Clarinet
You mean Chloe. Or did they have someone different at some shows?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
rival
Little Ghost

Post by rival »

^Chloe is the young lass who played with them at TMR and judging by the photos in the other thread, her and the youg guy have been with them all tour so far.
Hey, it's just a fucking record. Chill.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Kali Durga wrote:
Stl_ben wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:Who's Alison?
Saxophone / Clarinet
You mean Chloe. Or did they have someone different at some shows?
I have no idea what her name is...he just said a girls name so I linked it with the only girl in the band.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

rival wrote:^Chloe is the young lass who played with them at TMR and judging by the photos in the other thread, her and the youg guy have been with them all tour so far.
Chloe also played on the album and was at the show I saw in Virginia last week. T.J., who played trumpet/trombone at the show in Va, was not on the album. And apparently played trombone for the first time last week.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

Kali Durga wrote:
rival wrote:^Chloe is the young lass who played with them at TMR and judging by the photos in the other thread, her and the youg guy have been with them all tour so far.
Chloe also played on the album and was at the show I saw in Virginia last week. T.J., who played trumpet/trombone at the show in Va, was not on the album. And apparently played trombone for the first time last week.
T.J. plays a cornet, which is similar to a trumpet. Yah, I saw him play a radio gig and then the regular show and he didn't have a trombone then. That's cool!
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

JonnyH wrote:T.J. plays a cornet, which is similar to a trumpet.
Ah, thanks for the correction.
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

I have no idea what her name is...he just said a girls name so I linked it with the only girl in the band.
I might be mistaken; it could be Chloe.
Alison is credited on the album, but it may have been Chloe performing.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I'm lookin' at the album right now and Chloe Feoranzo is credited with clarinet. Alison Branum played violin & viola.

I have such mixed feelings about this record. Pokey has one of the most distinctive voices out there these days, he's truly one hell of a singer. And a terrific song-writer to boot. The addition of the horns really brings a nice jazzy snap to some of the songs. But does anyone else miss the South City Three interplay of the previous albums? I keep going back to Riverboat Soul. That record is just so much fun. This one's lovely and romantic, but the earlier one strikes me as more well-rounded somehow.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Pokey's in the lineup for the Americana Music Festival in Nashville this September-- http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville ... 013-lineup
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

Kali Durga wrote:I'm lookin' at the album right now and Chloe Feoranzo is credited with clarinet. Alison Branum played violin & viola.

I have such mixed feelings about this record. Pokey has one of the most distinctive voices out there these days, he's truly one hell of a singer. And a terrific song-writer to boot. The addition of the horns really brings a nice jazzy snap to some of the songs. But does anyone else miss the South City Three interplay of the previous albums? I keep going back to Riverboat Soul. That record is just so much fun. This one's lovely and romantic, but the earlier one strikes me as more well-rounded somehow.
Disappointment is too strong, anti-climactic is the way I would describe my feeling after the first listen. I've enjoyed it more on subsequent listens. Maybe I was looking forward to it too much. I haven't seen a show yet, so it may be more fun in the live setting. I caved and bought Riverboat Soul on CD after holding out for a vinyl release for ages, and agree with you on that record.
candycaneboy03
Little Ghost

Post by candycaneboy03 »

dunedin wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:I'm lookin' at the album right now and Chloe Feoranzo is credited with clarinet. Alison Branum played violin & viola.

Disappointment is too strong, anti-climactic is the way I would describe my feeling after the first listen. I've enjoyed it more on subsequent listens. Maybe I was looking forward to it too much. I haven't seen a show yet, so it may be more fun in the live setting. I caved and bought Riverboat Soul on CD after holding out for a vinyl release for ages, and agree with you on that record.
i'm right there with both of you.....on every note...we all must be picking up on something universal here...

i'm giving the new album listen after listen but for the life of me their seems to be this instrumental continuity that seems to be missing from this record that the earlier records have.... perhaps it is the extra intruments...perhaps its the lyrical/melodical progression....idk...i really don't f'n know...its bugging me...perhaps after a couple of more listens i'll figure it out...

there's something that La La Blues, Hard times come and Go, daffodil blues, and claude jones and the rest of riverboat for that matter, have that i'm hard pressed to find in this record...

i'll be honest, Central Time is a track i find myself skipping....i honestly can't put my finger on why though....same thing with the music video, i wanted to stop watching it 1/4 of the way through, but kept going in case it'd catch on......it didnt....

I sure hope Riverboat gets a Vinyl release one day....

on another note, that Split 7" that Pokey did, (the one i linked to a page or two back), is fuckin awesome. I honestly can't get enough of that 7". Anita is hands down one of my favorite pokey tracks (not a cover right?).
"Love, Peace And Hair Grease"
rival
Little Ghost

Post by rival »

After the third man show my dad and I were talking about the addition of the horns to the band. We agreed that pokey was bluegrass. He added a clairanet and a horn and became New Orleans blues. Now when I hear the new stuff I hear Louisanna, not Mississippi/Georgia/Alamaba. But that's just me.
Hey, it's just a fucking record. Chill.
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

rival wrote:After the third man show my dad and I were talking about the addition of the horns to the band. We agreed that pokey was bluegrass. He added a clairanet and a horn and became New Orleans blues. Now when I hear the new stuff I hear Louisanna, not Mississippi/Georgia/Alamaba. But that's just me.
Ha! I find that funny just because I had a similar conversation. Except it was about how with the horn section Pokey has a much more rag time sound, and how that makes sense as they are based in St. Louis. :D

Music is cool.
Mick III
Little Acorn

Post by Mick III »

I think many people here have the LP.
Sound great ?
I have just listen "Central Time" that i really like, but i don't know for others songs. Is it very good ?