alabama shakes "meh" thread

grumblestiltskin
Little Ghost

Re: alabama shakes "meh" thread

Post by grumblestiltskin »

rsimms3 wrote:I finally listened to this start to finish on the way home from work yesterday. I was rather disappointed given the live stuff I had seen on YouTube, etc. The Mink Shoals "Hold On" was great, but the album version was horrid. That sludge fuzz at the end that sounds like a mistake....was a mistake. The production/mix are dreadful. The whole time I'm listening I can only picture this in my head -

The cymbals dominate everything thing, it's like it's the only relief the drummer has at his disposal and he hasn't a clue how to use them properly. The whole album sounds flat, there's no warmth to it, no depth to the sound. The singing is moving, but there are too many other distractions going on. The bass could use a bump as well. I'm going to say "meh" to the album but I still think the band itself is great and one of those "you have to see them live" type bands.
Difficult to bottle lightning isn't it? :p

That sludge fuzz that sounds like a mistake was indeed a mistake - I believe an amp broke, and they decided it was a happy accident and keep it rather than rerecord that part. You obviously disagree...
Patient B1003
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

grumblestiltskin wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:I finally listened to this start to finish on the way home from work yesterday. I was rather disappointed given the live stuff I had seen on YouTube, etc. The Mink Shoals "Hold On" was great, but the album version was horrid. That sludge fuzz at the end that sounds like a mistake....was a mistake. The production/mix are dreadful. The whole time I'm listening I can only picture this in my head -

The cymbals dominate everything thing, it's like it's the only relief the drummer has at his disposal and he hasn't a clue how to use them properly. The whole album sounds flat, there's no warmth to it, no depth to the sound. The singing is moving, but there are too many other distractions going on. The bass could use a bump as well. I'm going to say "meh" to the album but I still think the band itself is great and one of those "you have to see them live" type bands.
Difficult to bottle lightning isn't it? :p

That sludge fuzz that sounds like a mistake was indeed a mistake - I believe an amp broke, and they decided it was a happy accident and keep it rather than rerecord that part. You obviously disagree...
If Ben Franklin could bottle lightning over 200 years ago with nothing more than a kite, a key, and a jar; these guys shouldn't have any problems given today's technology.... ;)

Yes, I disagree. If this wasn't their first studio album and it was a live session disc, by all means leave it but it just doesn't add anything to the song. That's just my smelly opinion.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

i just do not get the f*cking buzz over this band. i give them all the credit in the world for the uproar they've created and how much their following has expanded, but i don't understand it. they're just so mediocre.
he is everything i hate...
rival
Little Ghost

Post by rival »

They're still shit.
Hey, it's just a fucking record. Chill.
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

elduderino wrote:i just do not get the f*cking buzz over this band. i give them all the credit in the world for the uproar they've created and how much their following has expanded, but i don't understand it. they're just so mediocre.
Mediocre is pretty amazing with most of the shit that is out these days....
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

flattop2001 wrote:
elduderino wrote:i just do not get the f*cking buzz over this band. i give them all the credit in the world for the uproar they've created and how much their following has expanded, but i don't understand it. they're just so mediocre.
Mediocre is pretty amazing with most of the shit that is out these days....
i see what you did there.
he is everything i hate...