alabama shakes "meh" thread

mojoryan
Little People

Re: alabama shakes "meh" thread

Post by mojoryan »

cwja wrote:All I've heard is the TMR 7". Was really looking forward to it based on everything I'd heard about them. They sound good, talented and all of that but overall I just found it boring and unremarkable. Am I going to find something different on the LP or should I just chalk it up to not being my cup of tea?
I'm in the same camp. So I suppose, mark me down for the "meh" camp.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

anonymousbrunette wrote:Mehers gone dis sistas.
No one?
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Don' dis dah sistas, das not cool.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
jrfhoutx
Flipper

Post by jrfhoutx »

Hamptonio wrote:i think they are good. i think they are one of the better bands that TMR has endorsed.
i think vinyl reigns supreme, however, on the swirl...
most of the time, the actual music takes a backseat to the collective interest in the band's vinyl catalogue.
i think some of yall just bought the record because it was hand-numbered and stamped. "WHAT, hamptonio??!! but i...i...." yup.
if jack white said that raffi was going to open for him and then raffi came out with a colored limited 7'' of 'baby baluga", not only would 80% of this community buy it, then post it spinning on their turntable, but they would all rummage through their old VHS tape box in hopes of finding that raffi special from 1987 in hopes of trading it for a lazer disc copy of 'we are the champions' (1 of only 3 made).
I can always count on Hamptonio for a good laugh and some honest truth... Colored limited 7" or not, I'd pick up that Raffi 7"... Raffi is some awesome kids music...
"They were a garage band on Sympathy?! Who knew?" -- EVM
ISO/FS/FT
FLANAGAN, YARRGH!!!
Douchebag Thief
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

they were on letterman last night. another wholly mediocre showing.
he is everything i hate...
hawke000

Post by hawke000 »

I bought the LP. Got the 7'' etc and listened to it a few times... Here it is I might be wrong later but I doubt it...

The lead singer sounds / looks pompous as shit and is trying way too fucking hard. I hear "soul" in her voice but feeling it is about 200 miles away from this record.
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

I don't have anything to add. But I just wanted to again state that I'm in the "meh" column for this band. Listened and watched many different videos and get so bored halfway through that I rarely finish them.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
hawke000

Post by hawke000 »

I never thought I'd say this about any record I bought but I'm actually thinking about trading this in used for a store credit. At least I can get something out of it.
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

hmm. i notice the "meh" thread gets a helluva lot more action than the "great" thread...
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

elduderino wrote:hmm. i notice the "meh" thread gets a helluva lot more action than the "great" thread...
yeah, but half the posts are you...
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

Stl_ben wrote:
elduderino wrote:hmm. i notice the "meh" thread gets a helluva lot more action than the "great" thread...
yeah, but half the posts are you...
since stiben is usually a very literal person - at the time of his post, i had made 11 posts out of 40, so that's 27.5%. far cry from half.
Hamptonio
Little Ghost

Post by Hamptonio »

is this the right thread to post the tour-only shot glasses i scored?
i'll cut yall a deal. $115 shipped.
<JackWhite> Hamptonio: yes, and tell the lovely wife that i really love the pot pie recipe. i can't get enough LOL! anyway, let me know when you get that package of test pressings i sent you.
icdvet
Little Ghost

Post by icdvet »

Hamptonio wrote:if jack white said that raffi was going to open for him and then raffi came out with a colored limited 7'' of 'baby baluga", not only would 80% of this community buy it, then post it spinning on their turntable, but they would all rummage through their old VHS tape box in hopes of finding that raffi special from 1987 in hopes of trading it for a lazer disc copy of 'we are the champions' (1 of only 3 made).
I would prefer a Barney 7" on purple tricolor vinyl
Dear NSA, I hope that you enjoy this post.
Hamptonio
Little Ghost

Post by Hamptonio »

icdvet wrote:
Hamptonio wrote:if jack white said that raffi was going to open for him and then raffi came out with a colored limited 7'' of 'baby baluga", not only would 80% of this community buy it, then post it spinning on their turntable, but they would all rummage through their old VHS tape box in hopes of finding that raffi special from 1987 in hopes of trading it for a lazer disc copy of 'we are the champions' (1 of only 3 made).
I would prefer a Barney 7" on purple tricolor vinyl
<JackWhite> Hamptonio: yes, and tell the lovely wife that i really love the pot pie recipe. i can't get enough LOL! anyway, let me know when you get that package of test pressings i sent you.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

I finally listened to this start to finish on the way home from work yesterday. I was rather disappointed given the live stuff I had seen on YouTube, etc. The Mink Shoals "Hold On" was great, but the album version was horrid. That sludge fuzz at the end that sounds like a mistake....was a mistake. The production/mix are dreadful. The whole time I'm listening I can only picture this in my head -

The cymbals dominate everything thing, it's like it's the only relief the drummer has at his disposal and he hasn't a clue how to use them properly. The whole album sounds flat, there's no warmth to it, no depth to the sound. The singing is moving, but there are too many other distractions going on. The bass could use a bump as well. I'm going to say "meh" to the album but I still think the band itself is great and one of those "you have to see them live" type bands.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom