Re: Karen Elson

Post by dunedin »

Billboard Live performance on Periscope

https://www.pscp.tv/billboard/1DXGyrDyLnWJM?t=24
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

I was fortunate enough to catch Karen last night at Rough Trade, and even though it wasn't the biggest crowd (tickets were still available up to the moment she stepped on stage) it was definitely a special evening. Come to think of it, Karen herself acknowledged that fact and said something to the effect of it being the day of her album release so her and the band were really going to bring it, and I'm happy to report they truly did!

Odessa was on opener duties and I've got to say that even though most of her set wasn't exactly my cup of tea, she is one hell of a talent. Stunning to boot. She'd return shortly onstage with Karen as well.

With a brief intermission the band walked on and with a tequila in hand Karen and company got right on with it. The majority of the set was from the new album I assume seeing as how I wasn't familiar with a lot of it, but that didn't stop my head from nodding and my foot from tapping. There were several cuts from the Third Man days including The Ghost Who Walks, A Thief at My Door, and I believe The Truth Is In The Dirt, but my personal favorite of which was Season Of The Witch.

For a self proclaimed folk singer, her and the band can sure pack one hell of a punch! I believe it's been said already, but the backing band was spectacular. I was happy to finally put a face to the name I've seen on so many Third Man releases with Jackson Smith on guitar, and I can't remember the sax player's name, but between them and the pianist they really brought a nice touch to Karen's sound. There were several times where Karen or Jackson had trouble tuning their guitars and their banter was great. Karen's got one hell of a stage presence too, guitar in hand or not. I'd venture to guess having all eyes on you as a super model teaches a person a thing about how to present themselves to an audience, but it's still fascinating to watch her up there.

Overall, it was a beautiful evening. Between the intimate feel of the moderately filled venue, the excitement of a new album out, and even the ambiance of the lighting... I don't know, it all just feel magic. It was really something special to behold. Catch her if you can, you won't regret it.

One quick anecdote to top it off.. My girlfriend and I showed up close to 8:30, missing the 7:00 signing, but we had plenty of time before Karen hit the stage close to 10:00 to browse and goof around. Well, wouldn't you know it, we're browsing the store and I pick up a copy of the Double Roses to give her a taste of what was in store and she looks down at it, looks up at me, points says; "You mean her?" and sure enough I look up and Karen walks right past! It was silent in there as this happened and everyone, including Karen, got a good laugh out of that one.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Very cool. That's similar to our experience at Third Man. I didn't have any expectations going into her show other than I enjoyed her Vault LP. But I left with a whole new respect for her as an artist and as a person. I'll definitely be paying more attention from now on.
AJ123
Little Ghost

Post by AJ123 »

If anyone's interested in seeing pictures or hearing about the new record I reviewed it on my blog. Overall I think stepping out of Jack's influence served her well as I'm enjoying this one a lot more than The Ghost Who Walks. She's definitely a voice to be reckoned with and I'm hoping this album receives more praise and recognition in the future.

https://summerspins.wordpress.com/2017/ ... um-review/
Last edited by AJ123 on Thu May 11, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

AJ123 wrote:If anyone's interested in seeing pictures or hearing about the new record I reviewed it on my blog. Overall I think stepping out of Jack's influence served her well as I'm enjoying this one a lot more than The Ghost Who Walks. She's definitely a voice to be reckoned with and I'm hoping this album receives more praise and recognition in the future.

http://summerspins.blogspot.com/2017/04 ... album.html
Nice!
Thanks for the pics.
I still havent bought a copy.
I like the die cut on the gatefold to reveal the vinyl label.
Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

AJ123 wrote:If anyone's interested in seeing pictures or hearing about the new record I reviewed it on my blog. Overall I think stepping out of Jack's influence served her well as I'm enjoying this one a lot more than The Ghost Who Walks. She's definitely a voice to be reckoned with and I'm hoping this album receives more praise and recognition in the future.

Cool blog, but one suggestion...learn how to break up your reviews into paragraphs. People aren't going to sit there and read a massive body of text like that..
AJ123
Little Ghost

Post by AJ123 »

arewhyehen wrote:

Cool blog, but one suggestion...learn how to break up your reviews into paragraphs. People aren't going to sit there and read a massive body of text like that..
Thank you, I'll definitely try to do that on future posts
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

AJ123 wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:

Thank you, I'll definitely try to do that on future posts
No problem! Best of luck with it all