The Black Belles

NotACollector
Little Bird

Re: The Black Belles

Post by NotACollector »

This is the first honest review I've seen. It's still positive, but at least it acknowledges the band's complete artifice.

THE BLACK BELLES @ THE VAULT/2012.02.16

The Black Belles

The official origin story of The Black Belles is that Jack White discovered them. That’s the whole story and no one involved seems interested in elaborating. I assume because in this case “discovered” means “created”. It’s hard to imagine otherwise when no more than a few months had possibly elapsed between the band’s beginning and their first single on Third Man Records, on each of several releases three members of the band are credited as playing different instruments, and a fourth early member is a pin-up model that doesn’t appear to actually be a musician, at least not in any professional capacity. Then there’s the rumor that band leader Olivia Jean is the reason Jack White is no longer married and the question seems to be answered. Of course Olivia Jean was also rumored to BE his wife, so who knows.

Anyway the point is, I’m of the opinion that fake can be just as good and if Jack White wants a goth/garage/girl group on his label then why can’t he Tom Hanks himself one? And then put them on national television? The amazing thing is that for a band that seems to exist through sheer force of (Jack White’s) will, they’re pretty good. But then maybe that’s inevitable for a band that seems to exist through sheer force of (Jack White’s) will. Either way, aside from bands White is actually in, they’re one of the best on Third Man. Although given how many of the label’s releases are one-offs and novelty singles that may not be much of a compliment, even though it is.

Supposedly their sporadic early shows were exactly the trainwreck you’d expect from a fake band with members of varying skill and experience but evidently they’ve been practicing, with only a handful of shows under their belts they sounded tight and were relatively engaging, had I not known better I wouldn’t have guessed that they’ve only been on stage together maybe ten times.

So. They exist and they’re pretty great, how to justify that existence when the Dum Dum Girls, Vivian Girls, Best Coast, etc. are already covering a lot of this same ground? By dressing like witches, getting a keyboard permanently set on church organ and having a drummer (Shelby Lynn) who hits everything ten times harder than she needs to. SHE’S AWESOME. Maybe not the most technically impressive drummer ever but her skill is overkill in a garage band, on record the drums are already more aggressive than you’d normally find in music like this but in person it’s like watching Animal. I told her so, obviously she took this as a high compliment. The rest of the band is good, more than adequate for what they’re doing, though both live and in the studio the keyboard is all but inaudible under everything else, keeping the whole Adams Family thing mostly confined to their visual aesthetic, but when you’ve got a drummer who plays so hard she looks like she’s an hour into the show when it’s barely begun, she’s the one everyone is paying attention to.
http://listenyousmellsomething.tumblr.c ... 2012-02-16
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

NotACollector wrote:This is the first honest review I've seen. It's still positive, but at least it acknowledges the band's complete artifice.

The Black Belles

The official origin story of The Black Belles is that Jack White discovered them. That’s the whole story and no one involved seems interested in elaborating. I assume because in this case “discovered” means “created”. It’s hard to imagine otherwise when no more than a few months had possibly elapsed between the band’s beginning and their first single on Third Man Records, on each of several releases three members of the band are credited as playing different instruments, and a fourth early member is a pin-up model that doesn’t appear to actually be a musician, at least not in any professional capacity. Then there’s the rumor that band leader Olivia Jean is the reason Jack White is no longer married and the question seems to be answered. Of course Olivia Jean was also rumored to BE his wife, so who knows.

Anyway the point is, I’m of the opinion that fake can be just as good and if Jack White wants a goth/garage/girl group on his label then why can’t he Tom Hanks himself one? And then put them on national television? The amazing thing is that for a band that seems to exist through sheer force of (Jack White’s) will, they’re pretty good. But then maybe that’s inevitable for a band that seems to exist through sheer force of (Jack White’s) will. Either way, aside from bands White is actually in, they’re one of the best on Third Man. Although given how many of the label’s releases are one-offs and novelty singles that may not be much of a compliment, even though it is.

Supposedly their sporadic early shows were exactly the trainwreck you’d expect from a fake band with members of varying skill and experience but evidently they’ve been practicing, with only a handful of shows under their belts they sounded tight and were relatively engaging, had I not known better I wouldn’t have guessed that they’ve only been on stage together maybe ten times.

So. They exist and they’re pretty great, how to justify that existence when the Dum Dum Girls, Vivian Girls, Best Coast, etc. are already covering a lot of this same ground? By dressing like witches, getting a keyboard permanently set on church organ and having a drummer (Shelby Lynn) who hits everything ten times harder than she needs to. SHE’S AWESOME. Maybe not the most technically impressive drummer ever but her skill is overkill in a garage band, on record the drums are already more aggressive than you’d normally find in music like this but in person it’s like watching Animal. I told her so, obviously she took this as a high compliment. The rest of the band is good, more than adequate for what they’re doing, though both live and in the studio the keyboard is all but inaudible under everything else, keeping the whole Adams Family thing mostly confined to their visual aesthetic, but when you’ve got a drummer who plays so hard she looks like she’s an hour into the show when it’s barely begun, she’s the one everyone is paying attention to.

I think it is the creation of the band is what throws people. Created bands generally = pop groups, or the monkees. It gives people an opportunity to take a huge swing at them straight away. The fact is though that they are making music and you either like it or not - you don't have to. It just seems like too many people are getting caught up on this
jrfhoutx
Flipper

Post by jrfhoutx »

NotACollector wrote:This is the first honest review I've seen. It's still positive, but at least it acknowledges the band's complete artifice.

The Black Belles

I don't know that I'd call that a review so much as just an article about them. I'll agree with love_islander that people are getting too caught up in the creation of the band, as well as the costuming schtick, but whatever, they're a decent band that sounds pretty good, and I like em, regardless of how they formed or what they wear. I mean really, what does it matter how they were formed? many bands are put together that way, look at punk's most well known band, the Sex Pistols. they were a label creation and they're considered (by many, not all) one of the greatest punk bands ever. being a created band doesn't make them any less good. I guess my biggest problem with that article would be calling them a 'fake' band. they may have been created by someone other than themselves, but they're certainly not fake. they get up on stage and play their instruments, and they don't lip synch. They may not write all their own music (idk if they do or not), but many groups don't write all their own music. they may have off nights, but how many bands don't? It's not like they're a Milli Vanilli, where nothing about them is real. at least when they have an off night you know that it's because they are real and they actually are playing... there are far worse crimes in the music industry than Jack creating a band for his label...
"They were a garage band on Sympathy?! Who knew?" -- EVM
ISO/FS/FT
FLANAGAN, YARRGH!!!
Douchebag Thief
jamesmonzon1
Little Acorn

Post by jamesmonzon1 »

So, now we know what one of the RSD releases for TMR is going to be-
"There's nothing as reverential as putting on a vinyl album and manually flipping it. You can't fast-forward. You can't pause. More than likely, you are going to let the whole thing play."-Jack White III
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

jamesmonzon1 wrote:So, now we know what one of the RSD releases for TMR is going to be-
I foresee their playing a set on RSD. Perhaps the set recorded on Absinthe release night will be released on Bnb?
Hyperbole used for effect!
HappyDad
Little Ghost

Post by HappyDad »

Posted on twitter:
Our next single will be A-side: Wishing Well, B-side: Ms. Black Boots
The french White Stripes | Third Mand Records | Raconteurs | Dead Weather board : Join the French Fun
--> JUST HERE
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Swank said the 7" won't be ready for rsd, but in May most likely.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

Stl_ben wrote:Swank said the 7" won't be ready for rsd, but in May most likely.
Thanks for confirming that. It's been on everyone's mind!
Hyperbole used for effect!
missterpickles
Little Cream Soda

Post by missterpickles »

Seeing them in Dallas on March 20. Excited to see how they have developed since their brief set at Devil's Night. I thought they were great then, but my memory was self induced haziness...
stolenroses
Little Bird

Post by stolenroses »

jamesmonzon1
Little Acorn

Post by jamesmonzon1 »

"There's nothing as reverential as putting on a vinyl album and manually flipping it. You can't fast-forward. You can't pause. More than likely, you are going to let the whole thing play."-Jack White III
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

Does anyone know the deal with the JD Roots shows in the UK? The tickets don't seem to be on sale through the usual channels. Are they invitation only? I wanted to see the Glasgow show with Twin Atlantic, but can't find tickets.
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

not much word on the NYC show opening for Jack ... anyone care to comment?
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
DeeBee
Little Cream Soda

Post by DeeBee »

Yeah, I'd be interested to hear some reviews of the Black Belles shows too. I like what I've heard from them, and I wish they would release some stuff on CD's, which is my preferred format for music. Doing releases only on vinyl and iTunes kind of makes it seem like they're not a serious band.

Also, what happened to this thread for two years?? I see from the first page that there's a gap between the end of 2009 and the beginning of 2012. Is there another thread for the Black Belles somewhere? I didn't see them listed under "bands" in the TMR forum here, maybe I just missed it.
"A free society is one in which it's safe to be unpopular." - Adlai Stevenson
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

DeeBee wrote:Yeah, I'd be interested to hear some reviews of the Black Belles shows too. I like what I've heard from them, and I wish they would release some stuff on CD's, which is my preferred format for music. Doing releases only on vinyl and iTunes kind of makes it seem like they're not a serious band.
:shock:
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5