The Black Belles

destijl
Little Acorn

Re: The Black Belles

Post by destijl »

Miss X wrote:Just a few things I noticed about the Wishing Well video..After all the dislike comments on their hats, I thought it was kinda funny that Olivia's hair in the color parts of the video is teased, as if she just took the hat off/on/off... Also, did anyone else notice it seemed like every guitar solo she kinda turns away from the camera? Does she do that live? Random thoughts...
I saw them last night at the Brudenell in Leeds. They played as a three piece and they all definately play their own instruments. Olivia even played keyboards as well, since they have sacked their "new" keyboard player. As for the hats, they remained firmly on their heads except for Shelby's, whose came off after about 4 beats of her drum (but she is a very animated drummer and quite mesmerising). They came out after the show, signed some stuff, had some photo's taken. Very cool gig.
•<Jack White> we also want to come up with vault packages you don't like, a streaming service to make rich people richer, a t shirt
too big for you, and a bunch of shit you don't want but we're hold ing a gun to your head to purchase.
DeeBee
Little Cream Soda

Post by DeeBee »

Wow - they lost their fourth member again? I wonder how much of a challenge it is for them to quickly scramble up new arrangements for their songs with only three band members playing.

About the hats - I don't get why some people seem to dislike those, either. Their hats are as much a part of their iconic imagery as the black wardrobe is. When they first appeared, I thought it was very clever the play on words between 'Belles' and 'Bells' - with their silhouettes looking like bells with the hats on. Just very creative and dramatic imagery there. (Something that I suspect came from the imagination of Jack White; but I could be wrong about that.) I still think it's cool and clever, but I can see how it might get a bit cumbersome for the drummer. It's like when Jack White would show up for a concert with some fabulous new suit or jacket or top hat or whatever - but then take it off after the first song was done. It was a nice touch, even if it didn't last for long.

I would also guess that the people who don't like some particular feature of a band's performance - any band, any feature - are inclined to make more noise about it than the people who do like it. Just the nature of squeaky wheels, whatever. So I would not jump to conclusions about what most people think just on the basis of a few people repeatedly griping about something.
"A free society is one in which it's safe to be unpopular." - Adlai Stevenson
NotACollector
Little Bird

Post by NotACollector »

I guess Tina NoGood left because she realized how stupid the band was.
jamesmonzon1
Little Acorn

Post by jamesmonzon1 »

Starting to sound like some website that people are familiar with around here...TMZ! :lol:
But really where's solid proof she's been sacked? For all we know she could be MIA due to personal issues. People have lives outside of bands too,you know.
"There's nothing as reverential as putting on a vinyl album and manually flipping it. You can't fast-forward. You can't pause. More than likely, you are going to let the whole thing play."-Jack White III
hawke000

Post by hawke000 »

jamesmonzon1 wrote:Starting to sound like some website that people are familiar with around here...TMZ! :lol:
But really where's solid proof she's been sacked? For all we know she could be MIA due to personal issues. People have lives outside of bands too,you know.
i thought they only existed for my entertainment... my life is turned right upside down.
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

"Honky Tonk Horror" from last night's show in Glasgow as a three-piece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5iRM9aHcME
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

i went and checked out the videos from last night... i can see them bein like a female ramones one day

this is likely the best video from the lot of them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23eCpK2c ... ure=relmfu

that song Pushin Up Daisies sounds like it might work into a strong song
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

Tina is apparently in another band that is currently recording an album. I don't know if the split is permanent.
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

Her other band is D.Watusi.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

I really enjoy some of OJ's licks and dig her vibe. Not sure if its her vocal delivery or what that doesn't click for me yet. Regardless, I'm keeping a close ear on them.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
erikrodskjegg
Little Acorn

Post by erikrodskjegg »

orangeshoeskid wrote:Her other band is D.Watusi.
watusi doing recording?
ISO: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3526
Instant karma's gonna get you.
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

Anybody catch this?

The Black Belles UK tour continues and tonight, no matter where you are you can watch them live opening up for The Horrors straight from Southend in the UK. Go to the Jack Daniel's site for the live stream which starts at 7:50pm in the UK and catch all the action!

From TMR site.
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
dmdv1
Little Ghost

Post by dmdv1 »

flattop2001 wrote:Anybody catch this?

The Black Belles UK tour continues and tonight, no matter where you are you can watch them live opening up for The Horrors straight from Southend in the UK. Go to the Jack Daniel's site for the live stream which starts at 7:50pm in the UK and catch all the action!

From TMR site.
I pity them havin to open for The Horrors. Such a strong band now
Never trust a hippy
hxcoliver
Little Acorn

Post by hxcoliver »

what kind of merch do they have on tour with them? any tri colors?
tmr has this listed in the catalog page now, with 300 tris. wonder when they'll announce info about it
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

hxcoliver wrote:what kind of merch do they have on tour with them? any tri colors?
tmr has this listed in the catalog page now, with 300 tris. wonder when they'll announce info about it
:shock:
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5