What kind of Vault LPs do you prefer?

Alternative versions of existing stuff (like WS IT mono)
16%
Demos & rarities (like Boscobel Blues)
39%
Complete live shows (like live in London & live in Mississipi)
27%
Alternative live/radio sessions (like Bshows)
5%
Live @ TMR (like the 4 we already get)
6%
TMR compilations
1%
Other
6%

Total votes: 82

HappyDad
Little Ghost

Post by HappyDad »

Ok, I wanted to start this little thread because I was curious.

When they I announced the 12th pack, I was like meh... another live at TMR... In the last 4 vault pack we had 3 live @ TMR and one comp. They said in the announcement:
For the LP component we’ve dug into our literal vault and dusted off Karen Elson’s live performance from Third Man on May 24th, 2010.
Less than two years old and it's already dusted??? Come on, dig a little deeper in the Vault like you're doing for the Vault 7"s (which is my favourite TMR serie by far). It might be difficult to realize but I'm not complaining. Wanda live was really good, the Raconteurs one excellent with a fantastic artwork. I really dig the fact that they are now coordinating the wax color with the artwork for the Karen LP. That item will be great, I know it. But in my opinion it's a little bit easy/lazy from TMR to only release live @TMR LPs.

After discussing with people on the chat I realized that some people were sharing the same opinion but that some strongly disagreed. So I was wondering. What kind of Vault LPs do you prefer?
The french White Stripes | Third Mand Records | Raconteurs | Dead Weather board : Join the French Fun
--> JUST HERE
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Re: What kind of Vault LPs do you prefer?

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

the rare stuff and demos are what the vault is all about for me as a casual consumer but i imagine that the collectors here crave it too ... making the choice to break the whole event down from some of those concerts at TMR into a series of limited EP vinyl releases seems like it would be more fun to market as package and inventive option along with putting more variety back into the vault guessing game

also... im always looking interesting items and gadgets of sorts to be tossed in though... not a huge shirt fan but using vault fans as a test market for somethings that are a consideration for a test market still makes for a great way to expand the merchandise selection ... maybe not always going for the limited appeal option on things that can be mass produced but rather taking the view that promoting interest in new lines of product seems smart
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

Alternative versions of existing stuff (like WS IT mono)

Having songs from outtake sessions or different mixing is something I like a lot.
I like the Live @ TMR too especially if they add something ew in the presentations (like different wax color like the Peach/Black)
Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
grumblestiltskin
Little Ghost

Post by grumblestiltskin »

Basically, I can't cast a vote because my vote is simply not Live @ TMR...at least for the foreseeable future.

I don't mind complete live LPs, but what I really want is variety. So far we've had 7 live LPs (4 from TMR), 3 singles comps, 1 alternate mix and 1 demo set...not exactly an even spread. I'm not opposed to live albums, be they from TMR or anywhere else, but many more things are possible from the vault, and I'd like to see them.

The Karen Live LP especially feels like laziness; they've already put out the full show on vimeo, and while a great deal of care has been put into the packaging, and it will be great to have the show on vinyl, I just know that there are better things in there. Ultimately, I guess we have to accept that actually the vault is another part of the marketing monstrosity that is TMR, and that this is in all likelihood reminding us Karen exists so that when her next album comes out we all go and buy it.

Likewise Mississippi capitalized on the end of the Stripes, and although it was exactly what all of us wanted, we would never have been so desperate for it were the Stripes still around. It was probably the biggest selling package because of exactly that.

Sadly, because this is the trend, I predict #13 will be the Jack @ TMR Pack rather than something more unexpected. Blunderbuss will have had time to sink in, we'll be wanting to hear more and 13 contains the numeral 3. If I'm honest, I'd rather it was excerpts from shows further down the line so the two bands will really have had time to develop their own individual characters and be noticeably different in style.

That comes across as a bit cynical, and I am still for the vault... only, I'm aware that TMR are manipulating me into buying things.
Patient B1003
ochfish707
Little Ghost

Post by ochfish707 »

i was talking to somebody yesterday and started thinking about the vault packs... the GH demos are one of my favorite ideas, an LP of tracks that are only available in the vault. All these other vault packs i feel like we're getting 2nd hand goods... i mean TDW live show, Wanda, Mississppi, Karen are all things people have already experienced. it may be refreshing to have been there and now have the vinyl for it, but for someone like me who watched the Karen set online this pack is a little weak and makes me think that it's geared to collecting and not the actual music unless it's on a 45.

i don't know, i'd like something that's more like the GH pack but with better production, color vinyl or something.
'i'm taking my ball and going home'
leo
Little Bird

Post by leo »

Question does my raconteurs live at TMR loose value if I open it and are the DVD and 7" in the 12" packaging?
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

leo wrote:Question does my raconteurs live at TMR loose value if I open it and are the DVD and 7" in the 12" packaging?
Who cares open it and enjoy it.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
HappyDad
Little Ghost

Post by HappyDad »

leo wrote:Question does my raconteurs live at TMR loose value if I open it and are the DVD and 7" in the 12" packaging?
Well, if I can't play them, my vault packs have no value at all ...
The french White Stripes | Third Mand Records | Raconteurs | Dead Weather board : Join the French Fun
--> JUST HERE
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Would really like an option of selecting whatever TMR releases...I guess I am just not that picky and have been happy with all the packages.
curseofhalos

Post by curseofhalos »

Stl_ben wrote:Would really like an option of selecting whatever TMR releases...I guess I am just not that picky and have been happy with all the packages.
I agree 100%. I love all the packages.
HappyDad
Little Ghost

Post by HappyDad »

Stl_ben wrote:Would really like an option of selecting whatever TMR releases...I guess I am just not that picky and have been happy with all the packages.
It's not what kind of LP you like (I like them all too) but what are the ones you PREFER. :mrgreen:
--> JUST HERE
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Well then I prefer which ever one they send me.
dmdv1
Little Ghost

Post by dmdv1 »

I also agree with Stiben
Never trust a hippy
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

If I don't like the packages, I don't buy them. I don't buy them, then complain about buying something I didn't think I'd like. Nobody has a gun to your head
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

I just voted, and I see I'm winning.
Stl_ben wrote:
Who cares open it and enjoy it.
This doesn't seem consistent with being an Elitist Hipster Tool--however, I agree.