Vault #12

trickster
Greek Mod

Vault #12

Post by trickster »

ImageImageImageImage
The hits just keep on rolling with the 12th installment of Third Man’s Vault subscription series.

The 7” for this shipment features previously unreleased recordings by the Raconteurs from their Consolers of the Lonely sessions. “Open Your Eyes” b/w “You Make a Fool Out of Me” are two songs that would later be re-recorded and repurposed for Brendan Benson solo albums. “Fool” would appear on Benson’s 2009 release My Old Familiar Friend while “Open” is featured on his upcoming album What Kind of World under the title “Here in the Deadlights.” The versions on the 7” are not outtakes, demos, b-sides or anything of a cast-off nature. Rather, they are songs that just did not find a spot on the LP.

“’Open Your Eyes’ sounds like a hit. Seems like it could’ve been released as a single and I can’t remember why it didn’t make the album” – Jack White

For the LP component we’ve dug into our literal vault and dusted off Karen Elson’s live performance from Third Man on May 24th, 2010. That evening we celebrated the release of Elson’s debut LP The Ghost Who Walks and backed by her crack band. What was captured was a truly ethereal, vibrant recording that breathes a life into the songs that is wholly different from their studio versions.

Paired with the elegant recording of Karen Elson is an interactive record sleeve. The front cover depicts Elson in a field of peach with the striking image of her dress is die-cut. Coupled with a specially designed inner-sleeve, the listener can effectively play “dress-up” with four different looks for Elson, depending on the orientation of the sleeve. If that’s not enough, get rid of the sleeve completely and you can arrange the vinyl itself, pressed on split-color peach and black vinyl (or Eclipse Vinyl), to create a 100% unique dress design.

The bonus item for this Vault package is a DVD of the White Stripes titled Under New Zealand Lights. Made up of two different performances by the band on separate trips to the island nation, we find them performing at the King’s Arms in Auckland in November 2000. This is some of the earliest known footage of the White Stripes outside North America (it was their first international tour) and finds them confident and captivating before a unexpecting crowd.

Come October 2003 and the White Stripes were slightly more known but still in-front of a crowd they had to work considerably to win over. The audience was the student population of Freeman’s Bay Primary School. Jack and Meg provided a nice primer on American blues history and the kids seemed to enjoy themselves in this sweet, innocent performance that has been kept mostly under-wraps in the nine years since it took place.

Subscribe now as the we’ll stop accepting orders for this package on April 30th.

GO TO THIRDMANRECORDS.COM TO SEE THE INTERACTIVE SLEEVE FOR THE KAREN ELSON VAULT LP
ImageImage
Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
tanzaib
Little Ghost

Re: Vault #12

Post by tanzaib »

Nice...
<tanzaib> any news on vault 26
<Jack White> @tanzaib cass corridor looming large in all of our lives around here
td3
Little Bird

Post by td3 »

Very excited for this!
Sir_Vladius
Little Bird

Post by Sir_Vladius »

Amazing package. I love the look of that 12"
hsp88
Little Ghost

Post by hsp88 »

cool package, really looking forward to that 7"
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Speechless.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
HappyDad
Little Ghost

Post by HappyDad »

Well, a 3rd live @ TMR in a row... :roll:

BUT, it seems like they did a great job on the artwork and the 7" is just fantastic so great package!
The french White Stripes | Third Mand Records | Raconteurs | Dead Weather board : Join the French Fun
--> JUST HERE
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

hsp88 wrote:cool package, really looking forward to that 7"
+1
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Well I was wrong...I was going to add this to thread that I had made months ago...but evidently only other people can edit my posts, and I can't now?
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
Elwood
Little Cream Soda

Post by Elwood »

Not sure why, but for some reason I'm extremely unexcited about this package...

Perhaps it'll change when I'm spinning that 7"...
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Elwood wrote:Not sure why, but for some reason I'm extremely unexcited about this package...

Perhaps it'll change when I'm spinning that 7"...
ya, it seems alright but not what I was expecting. I am fairly excited about the 7". The split looks pretty cool as well but I've never been a huge fan of KE

Also with Jack's new album and tour, I think a lot of us were thinking he might have something to do with this Vault package but maybe that will be #13
Last edited by arewhyehen on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

arewhyehen wrote:
hsp88 wrote:cool package, really looking forward to that 7"
+1
The 7" and the dvd are certainly something to look forward to.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
TheHen0
Little Ghost

Post by TheHen0 »

I'm just happy we got something we didn't even know existed!
achouza
Little Ghost

Post by achouza »

loove it,, unreleased racs songs!
<<<< Ahuevooo! >>>>
rockinghorse
Little Bird

Post by rockinghorse »

this is going to be awesome. :D