Your favourite Vault LP

HappyDad
Little Ghost

Your favourite Vault LP

Post by HappyDad »

It's been quite a long time since we didn't have a thread line that. Just give your top5 vault LPs and discuss.

For me, both music and artwork are important. Here's my top5:

1. Live in London. For their second Vault LP, TMR just delivered a perfect one. Awesome artwork and awesome music!

2. WS Bshows. The quality of the recording is not great (euphemism) but I love the concept and the matching artwork with the UGWNL LP.

3. Boscobel Blues. It could have been longer but the music and the artwork are fantastic. I would have loved a gatefold for this one and I hope for more demo stuff in the future!

4. Live in Mississipi. Only 4th? Well, even if the music is awesome, I can't stand the artwork. The picture itself is really cool, but the fonts and the whole thing just doesn't work for me.

5. Rac @TMR. The three vault live @TMR are great but I chose this one mainly because of the artwork I love (and because I prefer the Racs over TDW).

Here's my top. It's obvious I prefer live/demo LPs. Please, no more MONO nor GBMS. In my opinion, these are not vault line releases (well, MONO can be in a way, but not a classic GBMS).

What's yours?
The french White Stripes | Third Mand Records | Raconteurs | Dead Weather board : Join the French Fun
--> JUST HERE
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Re: Your favourite Vault LP

Post by Stl_ben »

Easy for me:
1. Dead Weather @ TMR - My first show at TMR, and all around great Package
2. Racontuers @ TMR - Another Great night
3. WS Icky Thump Mono - Just cause its so damn cool
4. Wanda Jackson @ TMR - another amazing night with Jack on Guitar (I'm so excited that all three of these shows I got to see were pressed to vinyl!)
5. All the year end Comps - Its great to be able to listen to all the 7"s right in a row.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
Vytis33
Little Cream Soda

Post by Vytis33 »

Live in Mississippi.
curseofhalos

Post by curseofhalos »

The Dead Weather @ TMR

Wish I was there. I had just seen them in New Orleans at Jazz Fest. My first time in New Orleans.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

It would probably be more interesting to name your one favorite release since we're all gonna have very similar top 5 lists. So, in that vein:

My favorite Vault LP is:
White Stripes - Icky Thump (Mono)

My favorite Vault 7" is:
White Stripes - Party of Special Things To Do (tri color)

My favorite Vault "3rd thing" is:
White Stripes - Under Moorhead Lights All Fargo Night (DVD)
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

shaneoftheroad wrote:It would probably be more interesting to name your one favorite release since we're all gonna have very similar top 5 lists.
So far we have 5 lists and 4 different favorites...so its not too clear cut. Also the topic is favorite Vault LP, but feel free to make threads for the other 2 parts to the package.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Stl_ben wrote:
shaneoftheroad wrote:It would probably be more interesting to name your one favorite release since we're all gonna have very similar top 5 lists.
So far we have 5 lists and 4 different favorites...so its not too clear cut. Also the topic is favorite Vault LP, but feel free to make threads for the other 2 parts to the package.
Whatevah! I do what I want!
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

(sorry, couldn't resist)
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Carrying your freedom kick over here into the Swirl? ;)
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Kali Durga wrote:Carrying your freedom kick over here into the Swirl? ;)
Just shy of anarchy.

(on the serious tip, I'll stop trolling this poor gentleman's thread now)
gdm
Little Acorn

Post by gdm »

For me right now it's Boscobel Blues. I love me some Greenhornes. My favorites tend to change week to week.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

gdm wrote:For me right now it's Boscobel Blues. I love me some Greenhornes. My favorites tend to change week to week.
Boscobel Blues was a pleasant surprise for me. I was disappointed when I heard what that LP would be but loved it when I heard it. Same with Wanda's Live @TMR LP.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

1. Live In MIssissippi. Terrific Stripes show (at least compared to those I've listened to so far), but what really gets me every time I listen to this is the emotional impact of it. I'm not talking about it being their last show because we really don't know if they knew it was, but the effect that finally playing in Mississippi obviously had on Jack. I find it very moving. That, and the fact that I listened to this album last fall while driving around the Delta. Damned cool.

2. Racs Live @ TMR. 'cause I was there :)

3. Racs Live In London. 'cause it's awesome and I agree with Clem about the artwork and that Racs > DW.

Of the non-lp stuff, my favorite item is definitely the Greenhornes/Stripes baseball jersey. I wear that thing all the time. Might even need to hunt down a new one on eBay, as the graphic is beginning to crack from being washed so much.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

1. Dream Child set: The complete package is a winner, from the show to the artwork. The LP sleeve is a huge favorite of mine. And the DVD is proabably the one I've played the most.

2. Vault #1: Love the mono mix + red artwork; the DW single is my fave 7" Vault release (and that only-used-once pic sleeve), and my fave Vault T-shirt.

3. WS Live in Mississippi: Not just historically important but aurally amazing.
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
grumblestiltskin
Little Ghost

Post by grumblestiltskin »

I think it has to be Mississippi for me, I mean, what an LP!

As for favourite single, I'm a huge fan of the 5678s 7". Not only are both covers extremely good, but I think that it was something that just spontaneously happened and Jack didn't want to keep it locked away. I know a lot of people want vault items to be Jack-related only (and he does play on that one), but I'm more than happy for more stuff like this to be released.
Patient B1003