The Vault #10 Thread (pre-announcement discussion)

Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Re: The Vault #10 Thread

Post by Kali Durga »

rsimms3 wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:Interesting that he chose Ralph Ellison's novel rather than H.G. Wells'. You'd think Wells' might've come up first in an image search, seeing as how it's the more well-known.
Maybe he's trying to say something about society....or the association with jazz and free form development. And the Ralph Ellison book comes up first in a general search.
I didn't try a search, so it's interesting that that's the result. And yeah, since this is Jack one would assume that the choice possibly means something specific.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Kali Durga wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:Interesting that he chose Ralph Ellison's novel rather than H.G. Wells'. You'd think Wells' might've come up first in an image search, seeing as how it's the more well-known.
Maybe he's trying to say something about society....or the association with jazz and free form development. And the Ralph Ellison book comes up first in a general search.
I didn't try a search, so it's interesting that that's the result. And yeah, since this is Jack one would assume that the choice possibly means something specific.
Well TMR hasn' t really hasn't had a very large selection of non-Caucasion Musicians...so if you aren't White you are invisible to TMR?

*edit* by the way I mean no hard feelings to TMR just trying to read something into this clue???
Last edited by Stl_ben on Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Stl_ben wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:
Well TMR hasn' t really hasn't had a very large selection of non-Caucasion Musicians...so if you aren't White you are invisible to TMR?
Yes, but didn't Jack once dream of being a black man in the 40s? ;)
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

Kali Durga wrote:Yes, but didn't Jack once dream of being a black man in the 40s? ;)
Shit, who hasn't! 8-)
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

Perhaps we should be hopeful about the fact that at the end of the book, the invisible man is planning to emerge from his hole . . .

(Though I don't honestly see what that could have to do with package #10.)
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Aquamarine wrote:Perhaps we should be hopeful about the fact that at the end of the book, the invisible man is planning to emerge from his hole . . .

(Though I don't honestly see what that could have to do with package #10.)
Hmmmm, solo Jack material? All people talk about is when are the White Stripes getting back together or when is Jack going to do something solo....the Stripes are done so....blow our minds, button our lips.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

flattop2001 wrote:
Stl_ben wrote:
This image was the second image when doing a google image search for Invisible Man Book
They are VERY different stories, HG Wells is a fantasy classic, Ellisons is a social commentart on African Americans.
The DW's Invisible Man definitely has nothing to do with HG Wells' novel
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

Maybe it's just a book he's reading. It'l like Oprah's book club, but Jack's..
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

I could definitely go for Jack's Book Club, I bet there'd be an amazing variety of selections, not to mention a fascinating glimpse inside his mind.

However--somehow I doubt it. :(
Moller72
Little Ghost

Post by Moller72 »

Maybe it has nothing to do with the release.
redsox401
Little Acorn

Post by redsox401 »

Im guessing a JW green series of him narrating the book ;)
Hi
I Ate The Walrus
Little Cream Soda

Post by I Ate The Walrus »

redsox401 wrote:Im guessing a JW green series of him narrating the book ;)
That is what I thought at first...

I can not work this one out.
rival
Little Ghost

Post by rival »

Aquamarine wrote:Perhaps we should be hopeful about the fact that at the end of the book, the invisible man is planning to emerge from his hole . . .
I just read through this thread from top to tail and I think this could be the most plausible. Solo stuff would rock.
Hey, it's just a fucking record. Chill.
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

As much as I'd love to hear a JW solo album, I just don't see him releasing something so potentially popular as a Vault exclusive. Hmm, I guess it could be the 7", but his comment seemed to indicate something to make us all gobsmacked, and that to me means more than a 7".
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

As long as we're not all gobsmacked because package #10 turns out to be the invisible package, like order #33333. Nah, he'd never do that to us . . .