Vault package #8

rival
Little Ghost

Re: Vault package #8

Post by rival »

killeralien wrote:
rival wrote:I'm in Jamaica for the week and I've got my dad checking my mail for me while I'm away...any of the Canadians (GTA specifically) get theirs yet?
Where in Jamaica mon? Just got back. I Honeymooned in Whitehouse, which is about 1.5 hours south of Montego Bay. Black River. not touristy and higly recommend Floydes Pelican bar but I digress...
We're at the Bahia Principe Resort in Runaway Bay...It's about 40 minutes east of Montego and 20 West of Ocho Rios. Great time so far. just hopping online right now while the wife gets ready for dinner. Heading back home tomorrow to what sounds like warmer weather than what we have here... apparently, today was the hottest in history in Toronto. something like 47c? that's crazy. Hopefully there were no vinyl deliveries today or they might melt! First thing I'm going to check when I get home tomorrow night.
Hey, it's just a fucking record. Chill.
chrono_1980
Little Ghost

Post by chrono_1980 »

rival wrote:
killeralien wrote:
rival wrote:I'm in Jamaica for the week and I've got my dad checking my mail for me while I'm away...any of the Canadians (GTA specifically) get theirs yet?
Where in Jamaica mon? Just got back. I Honeymooned in Whitehouse, which is about 1.5 hours south of Montego Bay. Black River. not touristy and higly recommend Floydes Pelican bar but I digress...
We're at the Bahia Principe Resort in Runaway Bay...It's about 40 minutes east of Montego and 20 West of Ocho Rios. Great time so far. just hopping online right now while the wife gets ready for dinner. Heading back home tomorrow to what sounds like warmer weather than what we have here... apparently, today was the hottest in history in Toronto. something like 47c? that's crazy. Hopefully there were no vinyl deliveries today or they might melt! First thing I'm going to check when I get home tomorrow night.
I'm in Western Canada, and no package yet... It's been flash flooding here, and miserable all week. My mail has been soaked for the last two days. I'm okay waiting a couple more days, until it dries up here...
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

Has anyone read the run out etching on side D? (edit: I meant side C here as Luke correctly points out)

Incredible record, man what a package. Will be very difficult to top for me.
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

7th_son wrote:Has anyone read the run out etching on side D?

what do you make of it? it was jibberish to me
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

love_islander wrote:

It says "Meg told me before the show". I assume that is in reference to the tour cancellation, anxiety issues etc since this was their final show ever. Maybe this has been mentioned before and I missed it?
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

7th_son wrote:
love_islander wrote:

It says "Meg told me before the show". I assume that is in reference to the tour cancellation, anxiety issues etc since this was their final show ever. Maybe this has been mentioned before and I missed it?
ah yes - I did mention that. I thought that was side 3. Whichever side it is, the note on the reverse side to that etching I think is the confusing one to me
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

love_islander wrote:
7th_son wrote:
love_islander wrote:

ah yes - I did mention that. I thought that was side 3. Whichever side it is, the note on the reverse side to that etching I think is the confusing one to me
My mistake, you're correct, it is from Side 3. Yeah that bit on side D about the prestige, I'm not sure what to make of that. It reminded me right away of the film "The Prestige" which has themes around Nikola Tesla. Maybe referring to the Stripes' "disappearing act" following the show? haha
Beyond Reason
Little Cream Soda

Post by Beyond Reason »

Got home today from work happy to see my Vault package has finally arrived. Couple minor scuffs on the 7" but overall it arrived in great condition. All I gotta say is that it is just incredible. Haven't watched the DVD yet but LOVED the 7" and now half way through the LP. Great stuff to say the least.

I was looking at the inner etchings of the 7" and it's got a couple funny messages.

Side A: "Don Conka or Death Certificate?"
Side B: "We didn't know this existed"

:?
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

I think d is something about the ride home I can check tonight if nobody else does.
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

flattop2001 wrote:I think d is something about the ride home I can check tonight if nobody else does.
Prestige on the way home - it is this etching i don't quite get

:?:
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

Prestige is from the Latin præstigum, meaning a trick so I assume Jack felt tricked. Just my interpretation.
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Expanding on that, the punchline of the joke The Aristocrats is actually called The Prestige".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Aristocrats_(joke)
4.The Prestige:
*Because the sense of what an aristocrat is has faded in many countries, the final line may simply be seen as the end of a rather bawdy joke rather than a punchline. In some regions the name of the act is "The Sophisticates" or "The Debonaires".

*Originally the humor of the punch line was in the reading of the joke as a satirical comment on the decadence of the aristocracy - in modern performances the humour lies more in the anticlimax as the punchline is usually known beforehand by the audience.

*Some versions of the punchline contain the set-up line "What the heck do you call an act like that?" followed by the punchline "I call it 'The Aristocrats'." The added set-up value of this version of the joke, in which the pitchman misunderstands the meaning of the phrase "What the heck do you call [that]?" as a request for information, when it is in fact meant to be an expression of incredulity or bewilderment, is lost in other tellings of the joke, with the simpler but less sensible question asked by the agent: "What do you call your act?"
Additionally, in review of the movie "The Prestige" this reviewer put it well:
http://www.slideshare.net/jamarch/the-p ... esentation
4.A magic trick consists of three stages : The Pledge , The Turn , and The Prestige A “prestige” is the magician’s definitive punch-line—it is final part of a trick in which the “magic” has already been performed, and the magician works backwards to restore whatever it is that he has altered (no magic trick is complete without reconnecting a woman who has been sawed in half, for example).
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

rsimms3 wrote:Expanding on that, the punchline of the joke The Aristocrats is actually called The Prestige".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Aristocrats_(joke)
4.The Prestige:
*Because the sense of what an aristocrat is has faded in many countries, the final line may simply be seen as the end of a rather bawdy joke rather than a punchline. In some regions the name of the act is "The Sophisticates" or "The Debonaires".

*Originally the humor of the punch line was in the reading of the joke as a satirical comment on the decadence of the aristocracy - in modern performances the humour lies more in the anticlimax as the punchline is usually known beforehand by the audience.

*Some versions of the punchline contain the set-up line "What the heck do you call an act like that?" followed by the punchline "I call it 'The Aristocrats'." The added set-up value of this version of the joke, in which the pitchman misunderstands the meaning of the phrase "What the heck do you call [that]?" as a request for information, when it is in fact meant to be an expression of incredulity or bewilderment, is lost in other tellings of the joke, with the simpler but less sensible question asked by the agent: "What do you call your act?"
Additionally, in review of the movie "The Prestige" this reviewer put it well:
http://www.slideshare.net/jamarch/the-p ... esentation
4.A magic trick consists of three stages : The Pledge , The Turn , and The Prestige A “prestige” is the magician’s definitive punch-line—it is final part of a trick in which the “magic” has already been performed, and the magician works backwards to restore whatever it is that he has altered (no magic trick is complete without reconnecting a woman who has been sawed in half, for example).
When you put it like this, it makes a lot more sense
erikrodskjegg
Little Acorn

Post by erikrodskjegg »

got mine today, in Norway. It's a welcome break!
ISO: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3526
Instant karma's gonna get you.
hawke000

Post by hawke000 »

Jack's been playing Call of duty black ops, he's at the 15th prestige.