Vault #36

trickster
Greek Mod

Vault #36

Post by trickster »

Easter Morning, 1969… Frank Zappa calls up Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band and tells them the album he is producing for them is done. The Captain instructs the band to dress in their Sunday best clothes before they all go to the studio and listen to the complete finished work for the first time. By all accounts, the experience tiptoed between celebratory and downright religious.

Trout Mask Replica is a touchstone in the history of recorded music. The mix of dada absurdist blues and previously unexplored experimental avenues has long been praised as one of the greatest albums of all time. As so eloquently put by John Peel, "If there has been anything in the history of popular music which could be described as a work of art in a way that people who are involved in other areas of art would understand, then Trout Mask Replica is probably that work.”

In full partnership with the Zappa Family Trust and to celebrate the relaunch of the seminal Bizarre label imprint, Third Man Records is proud to announce its 36th Vault package focused squarely on Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band's Trout Mask Replica.

Out of print on vinyl for nearly ten years, this remaster was helmed by industry legend Bob Ludwig and cut by the estimable Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering. Utilizing crystalline-quality safety masters kept in the Zappa family vault for decades by the trustworthy Joe Travers, the audio here is positively glorious. Every last skronk breathes full life into the room. Every twisted guitar figure uncurls onto paths previously unpaved. Every last bark and howl shines resolute through the vast emptiness of your mind.

Previous countless Trout Mask Replica repressings used scans of scans of scans of the cover image, but for Vault Package #36 the original Cal Schenkel cover photo has been tracked down and reproduced here at its clearest — its resolution from the original release in 1969. If you’ve only ever seen a jpg online or fuzzy, smeared-looking CD issues from the 90’s, be prepared to be wowed by the fully engaging spectrum this iconic image casts. This 2xLP is pressed on heavyweight 180-gram fruitcake fish-scale colored vinyl for that full-on frenetic feeling.

The French-only 7-inch single of “Pachuco Cadaver” b/w “Wild Life” will also be included as part of this overreaching package. As the only single ever pulled from this admittedly dense album, this is the first time EVER that “Pachuco Cadaver” has been repressed and comes wonderfully housed in a replica glue-pocket picture sleeve and pressed on a white colored vinyl. ALL vinyl in this package is lovingly pressed at Third Man Pressing’s state-of-the-art plant in Detroit, Michigan for that extra-special attention to detail.

Additionally, Third Man Records has undertaken the creation of the first ever replica trout mask. Much in the spirit of the cardboard cutouts included in original copies of the Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper’s album, this mask will be a hit at Halloween parties and Duchampian celebrations for eons to come. If that’s not enough, Third Man has commissioned an impressive, striking fabric patch that reproduces the Trout Mask cover art, an insignia that will signify any wearer as a follower in the Captain’s army.

And if that’s not enough, the revered illustrator Jess Rotter of Rotter and Friends has run the Trout Mask cover through her inimitable style and cooked up an inspired line-drawing rendering that beautifully graces a sturdy, durable tote bag to hold all these wonderful sundries in.

Finally, as a testament to the inspiring life of Don Van Vliet, Third Man has lovingly printed Jack White’s epitaph for the man in glorious, psychedelic silkscreen broadside wonderment. Fitting in the LP jacket and fitting as a tribute, this evocative poem was originally published in March 2011 issue of MOJO Magazine.

While Trout Mask Replica kicks off the partnership with a bang, do be on the lookout for even more avant-garde and mind-bending works in the future coming from the Bizarre/Third Man unification. Minds will continue to be blown, barriers will be destroyed, verbiage will be significantly hype-worthy.

Subscriptions to the Vault are live NOW and are open through April 30th. Don’t miss out. SUBSCRIBE HERE!

Scroll on for detailed images of all the package components...
Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Re: Vault #36

Post by arewhyehen »

Hard pass
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

OK so is this real?
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

If this is real I’m out. I already own the album, don’t care for it, don’t need another copy..
achouza
Little Ghost

Post by achouza »

This album is awesome, if this is real (april fools?) I am definitely excited for this

Too bad that I bought the album maybe like a month ago on vinyl. But whatever Im still super happy about this
<<<< Ahuevooo! >>>>
Mick III
Little Acorn

Post by Mick III »

Ah ah ah how to win 80$. Not buying this VP. See you in July.
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

Very possibly the first package I won't sign up for.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

If this is real...I’m back!
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

Jamie wrote:Very possibly the first package I won't sign up for.
+1
It will feel so weird not being a Vault member
But $80 plus $40 in customs taxes for this one doesn't worth it
Mick III
Little Acorn

Post by Mick III »

I wonder how many people will don't sign up. It is something cool maybe, but I am in the Vault for White Stripes, Raconteurs, Dead Weather or Jack White rarities. This one I don't care. After VP 35 which were certainly the most popular (new Jack White album) this one could be the least popular.
Datch
Little Acorn

Post by Datch »

“More people know a fragment of his music than know his name.”
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Not saying this isn’t cool but it’s not for me. If it’s real, I’m out. Maybe there is something I’m missing but when I sign up for a TMR vault, I expect something TMR related. Did I miss something along the way?
G-squared
Little Cream Soda

Post by G-squared »

Unbelievable!!! this is so great. That 7" is the Beefheart grail. So great to have a Third Man Pressing repress of it. That tote looks gorgeous. Really generous of Third Man to do this project. I get that some folks don't like the record, but for those that do (or don't know if they do) this vault is a super value.

I think the 33 1/3 book series (#44) did a good job of telling the TMR story, if you want a little context before you decide.

Btw, TMR TMP of TMR - 8-)
Life is Music
And Music Isn't A Business
Iggy Pop
G-squared
Little Cream Soda

Post by G-squared »

or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trout_Mask_Replica is free and does have one of my favorite endorsements

The album's unconventional nature often alienates new listeners. Cartoonist and writer Matt Groening tells of listening to Trout Mask Replica at the age of 15: "I thought it was the worst thing I'd ever heard. I said to myself, they're not even trying! It was just a sloppy cacophony. Then I listened to it a couple more times, because I couldn't believe Frank Zappa could do this to me – and because a double album cost a lot of money. About the third time, I realised they were doing it on purpose; they meant it to sound exactly this way. About the sixth or seventh time, it clicked in, and I thought it was the greatest album I'd ever heard"

Boarding house reach?
Life is Music
And Music Isn't A Business
Iggy Pop
Fanldor III
Little Bird

Post by Fanldor III »

I'm overwelmed. But if there's anything they could do to make it even more special and cut down some complains, here's an idea -

Ice Station Zebra b/w Pachuco Cadaver cover single OR
Jack cover three songs off the album and do it POSTTD single style.