Is the Vault Worth It?

Copenhagen1822
Little Bird

Is the Vault Worth It?

Post by Copenhagen1822 »

Is the Third Man Records "Vault" worth the subscription? I admire what Jack has done with that record label and wouldn't mind having the 10% off entire store coupon, access to the chatroom in which Jack sometimes makes an appearance? (Anyone seen this?, been a part of it?), but I am really only a fan of The white stripes, Jack's solo stuff, the bands like Neil Young, Mudhoney, Pearl Jam, etc, and the old blues artists he has re-mastered and put out on vinyl, not any other bands on that label. What are the quarterly packages like and how often do they contain records/items that I would actually like to own? I don't want to pay for a stack of stuff by bands I have never heard of or will ever listen to, not that I don't respect their work, but I am just old and stuck in my ways I guess.

Thanks for any input,

J
Last edited by Copenhagen1822 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
edwardcarlton
Little Bird

Re: Is the Vault Worth It?

Post by edwardcarlton »

There are 2-3 Jack related vaults released every year (white stripes, dead weather, raconteurs, solo stuff, older bands) and then there are 1-2 TMR related vault releases. The 10% discount is cool but only worth it if you buy a lot from TMR. The chats are interesting. Jack will get on the chat several times a year. He's hard to catch though. His chat session are usually pretty short, 15 min max, sometimes only a few minutes. The chats usually get posted here on the swirl though and you can still read them even though missed being part of them. The biggest value I get from staying a vault member (even though I am not crazy about the whatever the next package is going to be) is access to the vault nobility store. I've been able to grab some really great/rare items for a fare price (lately they've been getting more and more expensive though). You can usually snag past vault LPs for $30 and past 7" for $15. Sometime they put extremely rare items on there and you won't have to pay eBay prices. You can always just sign up for the packages you know you'll like and cancel when you don't like the package. The vault releases are usually spectacular though. Recordings you can't get anywhere else on quality pressings in a beautiful package.

If you like the blues material TMR puts out and the folky aspect of Neil Young you should check out Pokey LaFarge. He's the first non-Jack TMR artist I enjoyed. His studio recording don't do him and his band justice though. They're true musicians and their live shows are some of my all-time favorites. I seen him perform 9 times in 4 different states, he's a real showmen. Everyone in his band is a master of their instruments and go on 2-3 minute solos throughout the show, vibeing off of each other. Their harmonica player is the best I've ever heard, he is borderline virtuoso (he also plays the banjo, guitar, washboard, and spoons). I saw them close one of their sets by essentially battling everyone in the band. Their guitar player would play a lick and then their horn player would play the same lick and them add something to it. Then Pokey would play the original lick and the piece that was added to it and then add something to it himself. Then it would get passed to another band member who would do the same. They would go round-and-round everyone in the band. They did that for 25 minutes. I've seen him walk around the crowd playing and sharing bottles of rum with the audience, just a really good time. He is also an artist that is in the audience before the show talking to people and listening to the opening band. He is usually at the merch booth after the show signing whatever you want, taking photos, and talking to his fans. He usually sticks around after shows and has a few drinks at the bar. It's a great show see and he's touring now.

Sorry the original post was about the vault, not Pokey.
Datch
Little Acorn

Post by Datch »

If you would like to know what they put out before being charged, make sure you sign up around the 20th when they announce the next vault. That way with the vault after that one, they will have announced it before you get charged for your next cycle. If you like it you will have to do nothing, if you don't like it you can cancel before you get charged. You can only cancel before you get charged, else you are still in for those three months and get the vault.

He chats sometimes but I have never been in chat when he was, and I'm getting vaults since 2-3 years.
So decide for the music and not the extras.
Though the vault novelty store and early ticket access plus a chance for early entry are nice extras.
“More people know a fragment of his music than know his name.”
Copenhagen1822
Little Bird

Post by Copenhagen1822 »

Datch wrote:If you would like to know what they put out before being charged, make sure you sign up around the 20th when they announce the next vault. That way with the vault after that one, they will have announced it before you get charged for your next cycle. If you like it you will have to do nothing, if you don't like it you can cancel before you get charged. You can only cancel before you get charged, else you are still in for those three months and get the vault.

He chats sometimes but I have never been in chat when he was, and I'm getting vaults since 2-3 years.
Though the vault novelty store and early ticket access plus a chance for early entry are nice extras.

What do you mean by a chsnce for early entry?

Thanks for the replies by the way.
Datch
Little Acorn

Post by Datch »

Copenhagen1822 wrote:
Datch wrote:If you would like to know what they put out before being charged, make sure you sign up around the 20th when they announce the next vault. That way with the vault after that one, they will have announced it before you get charged for your next cycle. If you like it you will have to do nothing, if you don't like it you can cancel before you get charged. You can only cancel before you get charged, else you are still in for those three months and get the vault.

For people in the vault they can sign up to get early entry for a show.
If you are chosen you can enter the venue earlier, so you can buy the poster or get to the rail first.
Depending how many enter for a show not everybody gets in.
They post in the vault news section a few days before the show that you can sign up for that show.
Then you get to know if you are in on the day itself or a day before.
Oh, and you can take somebody with you.
Copenhagen1822
Little Bird

Post by Copenhagen1822 »

Datch wrote:
Copenhagen1822 wrote:

For people in the vault they can sign up to get early entry for a show.
If you are chosen you can enter the venue earlier, so you can buy the poster or get to the rail first.
Depending how many enter for a show not everybody gets in.
They post in the vault news section a few days before the show that you can sign up for that show.
Then you get to know if you are in on the day itself or a day before.
Oh, and you can take somebody with you.

That seems cool, so if the show I’m going to is in August and I want a shot at early entry, when do I want to join? Thanks again for the info.
Datch
Little Acorn

Post by Datch »

Copenhagen1822 wrote: That seems cool, so if the show I’m going to is in August and I want a shot at early entry, when do I want to join? Thanks again for the info.
If you still have to sign up, you can either do it for the next vault which will be announced around April or the one in Juli. Signing up in August will just make you pay 2 months in advance of the next vault of which you don't know what it is. And since it's an recurring payment you will have that same 'problem' until you cancel and sign up again at a better time.
Copenhagen1822
Little Bird

Post by Copenhagen1822 »

Datch wrote:
Copenhagen1822 wrote: That seems cool, so if the show I’m going to is in August and I want a shot at early entry, when do I want to join? Thanks again for the info.
If you still have to sign up, you can either do it for the next vault which will be announced around April or the one in Juli. Signing up in August will just make you pay 2 months in advance of the next vault of which you don't know what it is. And since it's an recurring payment you will have that same 'problem' until you cancel and sign up again at a better time.
That makes sense, but if my Jack White shoe is in August wouldn’t you think they would give that access out in August? Maybe I’m still not getting it lol
Datch
Little Acorn

Post by Datch »

Copenhagen1822 wrote:
Datch wrote:
That makes sense, but if my Jack White shoe is in August wouldn’t you think they would give that access out in August? Maybe I’m still not getting it lol
Oh yes, they announce in the vault that you can sign up for early entry for a show, like maybe a week or shorter before that show.
So you have to check the vault so you don't miss out. Then if you are chosen you get a mail you have to take with you to the venue.
They announce that you can sign up for each show separately. You then get 24 hrs or something like that to sign up for that one show.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

For clarification they have done early entry in the past at select venues.
We do not know for sure yet that it will be an option at the new shows or not.
It is something that is much harder to do at large arena and festival shows.

Also...hawke?
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net