Vault #34

trickster
Greek Mod

Vault #34

Post by trickster »

INTRODUCING... VAULT PACKAGE #34 THE WHITE STRIPES LIVE IN DETROIT 1999-2000-2001
Posted by Third Man

In continued celebration of The White Stripes 20th anniversary, Third Man Records is proud to announce Vault Package #34 The White Stripes Live in Detroit: 1999-2000-2001. Sign-up deadline: October 31st.

Vault34 webmockup RetinaV3 1500

July 30th, 1999 found The White Stripes headlining the Magic Bag in fashionable Ferndale, a northern suburb of Detroit. Chosen as a venue mainly to placate the fans who wouldn’t venture to see The White Stripes in rough-and-tumble Detroit, the show would be their first performance after the release of their self-titled debut album. The cushy environs of the Magic Bag provided Jack with an in-house piano, making this the first time that he and Meg would ever incorporate the instrument live. Highlights include their first-ever stab at Bob Dylan’s “Love Sick,” an endearingly unique solo piano rendition of “You’ve Got Her in Your Pocket,” and a simplistic, embryonic rendition of “Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground,” all of which provide for a tense performance, filled with equal parts rage and tenderness of which only The White Stripes were capable.

August 18th, 2000 had The White Stripes performing at Detroit’s venerable Magic Stick. Supported by near-and-dear friends (who’d later become bandmates and collaborators), the Greenhornes and Whirlwind Heat, the recording provides a window into the Stripes’ mindset that Summer — just after their West Coast De Stijl headlining tour in June and still yet to experience the insanity of their opening slots for Sleater-Kinney in September. The only known live performance of Captain Beefheart’s “Ashtray Heart” (which they’d just recently laid to tape for eventual release in the Sub Pop Singles Club), a rare live outing for the deep cut “I’m Bound to Pack It Up,” and an electrifying set-ending “Let’s Shake Hands” leave the listener with the palpable sense that something amazing is about to happen for this band.

June 7th, 2001 marked The White Stripes final performance at the Gold Dollar in Detroit. As the first of three hometown headlining shows to support the release of White Blood Cells, the feeling in the air that night was one of excitement and anticipation. In what was arguably the most packed show in Gold Dollar history, Jack and Meg delivered beyond expectations and played their new, soon-to-be critically acclaimed record from front to back. Despite an attempt at tackling Get Behind Me Satan in Chicago in 2005, this would be the ONLY time The White Stripes would perform any of their albums in their entirety. In full command of their powers, The White Stripes proved to be both ascendant and transcendent on this night. This show was the triumphant culmination of the previous five years of gigging in Detroit.

Each LP in this set is pressed on 180-gram vinyl by Third Man Pressing in Detroit and housed in a custom die-cut sleeve that stylistically deconstructs the Stripes’ album released the year that corresponds to the live performance. Additionally, high quality reproduction prints of the Jack White-designed posters for each of these shows will be included. Originally limited to no more than two dozen copies printed (Kinko’s color copies were a buck a pop back then!), posted up at local Detroit record shops and watering holes and summarily torn down and thrown away, original copies of these highly-sought-after pieces have been known to command hundreds of dollars on the secondary market. The copies included here are gorgeous, instantly frame-worthy and much lighter on the pocketbook than the costly originals.

All of these components are lovingly housed in a sturdy slipcase utilizing the rub-on style lettering employed by Jack on a majority of his early flyer designs.

Live at the Magic Bag 7-30-1999

Jimmy the Exploder
Wasting My Time
Astro
Cannon / John the Revelator (traditional)
The Big Three Killed My Baby
I Just Don’t Know What to Do With Myself (Bacharach/David)
Love Sick (Bob Dylan) (piano)
Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground (piano)
St. James Infirmary (traditional) (piano)
Suzy Lee
Stop Breaking Down (Robert Johnson)
Lafayette Blues
The Same Boy You’ve Always Known
You’ve Got Her In Your Pocket (piano)
Broken Bricks

Live at the Magic Stick 8-18-2000

You’re Pretty Good Looking (for a Girl)
When I Hear My Name
Jolene (Dolly Parton)
Cannon/John the Revelator (traditional)
Apple Blossom
Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground
Death Letter (Son House)
Little Bird
Jimmy the Exploder
I’m Bound to Pack It Up
Broken Bricks
Hello Operator
Astro / Jack the Ripper (Screaming Lord Sutch)
Ashtray Heart (Captain Beefheart)
Do
Let’s Shake Hands

Live at the Gold Dollar 6-7-2001

Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground
Hotel Yorba
I’m Finding It Harder to Be a Gentleman
Fell in Love With a Girl
Expecting
Little Room
The Union Forever
The Same Boy You’ve Always Known
We’re Going to Be Friends
Offend in Every Way
I Think I Smell a Rat
Aluminum
I Can’t Wait
Now Mary
I Can Learn
This Protector

*For more info about the Gold Dollar visit golddollar.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Re: Vault #34

Post by JonnyH »

Is that two vaults in a row without a 45?
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Anyone want to buy this from me?
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
gst510
Little Acorn

Post by gst510 »

Glad it's not in a box.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

I, too, am lamenting the lack of a new 45 for my collection but I can't complain about this. Every new live Stripes album from TMR is a new official Stripes album and I'll take that any day. I'm in.
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

I love picking over my collection and pulling out a random live WS album to put on. I was hoping to skip the next vault as I'll be out of a job, but I'll take the hit for now
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

Solid.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

I hope they finish out the set in similar fashion with GBMS, Elephant and Icky.
The extras LP in 33 was great, but a 12" of the icky Thump records show would've really knocked it out of the park.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Cool vault

Wish they would stick to the box sets though. Easier to keep track of everything from each vault..
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

How many live vinyls are their with these three additions?
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Bikedo
Little Ghost

Post by Bikedo »

Luscious
I'd like to sleep 100 days, my feeling has gone, flesh cold and numb.
a meg me da medo
Little Cream Soda

Post by a meg me da medo »

Yeah!
X-MAs comes early this year!

Nothing to complain!
shaneoftheroad wrote:Every new live Stripes album from TMR is a new official Stripes album and I'll take that any day. I'm in.
I'm in too!

300mph
ammdm :mrgreen:
myISO: i wish i have... click here
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

rsimms3 wrote:How many live vinyls are their with these three additions?
Too Many....(IMO)
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

_Apple_Blossom_
10/04/2017 (2 hours ago)
i really am so happy to get all these songs live and the presentation will again exceed my expectations... but the little notion of a particular kind of 7" with 3 colors made me think that there was surely an old reel of some practice tape with a hand picked melody or some wildly off color covef song that would blow our minds from that time... maybe a red white and black sort of impression of isis on the fifth day of may from in those pivotal times??? hey blackwell anything up your proverbial sleeve there?!!?!
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

Jettkoral wrote:
_Apple_Blossom_
10/04/2017 (2 hours ago)
i really am so happy to get all these songs live and the presentation will again exceed my expectations... but the little notion of a particular kind of 7" with 3 colors made me think that there was surely an old reel of some practice tape with a hand picked melody or some wildly off color covef song that would blow our minds from that time... maybe a red white and black sort of impression of isis on the fifth day of may from in those pivotal times??? hey blackwell anything up your proverbial sleeve there?!!?!
I'll have what she's having...
rsimms3 wrote:How many live vinyls are their with these three additions?
More than there are bootlegs now! Live in Mississippi, the Amazon (south america, can't remember exactly), the 3 gold dollar LPs, these 3, 9 miles from the white city. Total of 9 by my count?

Edit - missed Live under the rising sun - 10