Vault #33

rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Re: Vault #33

Post by rsimms3 »

icdvet wrote:If anyone wants to trade or sell their Rob Jones print, please hit me up. I am downsizing a bit TMR-wise so you never know what I might be willing to offer.
Cheers!
I'm up for that.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
vandelpinkfloyd
Little Bird

Post by vandelpinkfloyd »

getbehindmejack wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:
Didn't Steve Hoffman say that the original was the first record to be mastered from 2'' tape directly to vinyl or something? Without bouncing down in between? Gotta wonder in there was a digital intermediary in this new pressing. I don't mean to spit all over it, but it wasn't the behemoth I was hoping for. It sounds amazing until you put on the original...then you go "oh man, THIS is amazing!" I listened to the new one a little more last night, and I definitely don't hate it. But the 07 will always be my go-to-demo disc. :)

A few things I noticed....Copter76 has valid points about the lack of tip-on sleeves and the color the vinyl. Last night I noticed the edges of all of the LPs in my package are jagged, like they were trimmed with a dull blade. The spindle hole is so freakin' tight that it is almost impossible to get the demos LP off and on my turntable. (A little sandpaper will fix that.) After much listening last night, I've found all the LPs have substantial surface noise. Nit-picking? A little. But it's not hard to get this stuff right...or is it?

But...the best part of this package? The book. Seriously! Holy cow, freaking amazing. I must have gone through it three times. I love it!!!
This is the thread that goes over it http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/t ... gh.112807/

I know some of you are on that site, for anyone else who's not and is a music lover/audiophile, it's pretty sweet. Hundreds of useful threads and info
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Thank you. I was looking for that earlier.
Mick III
Little Acorn

Post by Mick III »

I received it a few days ago. I started to listen the Icky Thump demo wich is really cool. New sound, new concept of the final album. This mornig I listened the B-side LP. I really like it because I never heard some songs, because I haven't all 7'' from Icky Thump. I love it and the spanish version for Conquest makes me laugh. So crazy to hear Jack White singing in spanish. Well the book is really really cool, love the pins ... Really great package. But the box is really big for the content.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Did anyone peek inside the sleeve of the Red Demos record?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
a meg me da medo
Little Cream Soda

Post by a meg me da medo »

Kali Durga wrote:Did anyone peek inside the sleeve of the Red Demos record?
... of course! ;-)

I picked it up from the toll today, 30min thats record.
and so is this package, i unboxed it a minute ago.
I'm so amazed, i bought IT the day before i opened up my 1st own bar.
so it always pairs up with this.
on 22th september i celebrated the 10th anniversary of this bar.
i love this

anybody whos complaining here about these or that,
we should be happy that things like the vault even exists.

Celebrate!

ammdm
300mph :mrgreen:
myISO: i wish i have... click here
DoctorTran37
Little Cream Soda

Post by DoctorTran37 »

Is anyone else’s picture book... wonky? The cover appears to have been applied to the wrong side of the pages. It won’t let me upload pictures, file sizes are too big. I’ll have to figure out my old photobucket log in and post some pictures later.
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

My prints are indeed connecting. The black ink lines are continuing from the one to the other.

As expected this box set is epic.

I am currently spinning the demos and at the last song it confirms my initial thoughts that it worth the $80 alone. Everything else is an awesome extra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
benyo
Little Cream Soda

Post by benyo »

Does anyone else have problems with the "Side 2" of the "IckyThump Extras", too. Right at the beginning there is a recurring noise nearly the whole first song. I don't want to be fussy, but I hoped to have no soundproblems with the new pressing-plant. :cry:
" I wish someone would ask me “how do you get that sound?” they never do. The answer is “I fucking mean it.” " - Jack White
vandelpinkfloyd
Little Bird

Post by vandelpinkfloyd »

benyo wrote:Does anyone else have problems with the "Side 2" of the "IckyThump Extras", too. Right at the beginning there is a recurring noise nearly the whole first song. I don't want to be fussy, but I hoped to have no soundproblems with the new pressing-plant. :cry:
Icky extras and b sides weren’t pressed at TMP. Only the splatter icky was
Datch
Little Acorn

Post by Datch »

trickster wrote:My prints are indeed connecting. The black ink lines are continuing from the one to the other.

I am currently spinning the demos and at the last song it confirms my initial thoughts that it worth the $80 alone. Everything else is an awesome extra.

Now post the whole story as I seen on fb you figured out :P
“More people know a fragment of his music than know his name.”
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

pretty good.

pretty, pretty good...

he is everything i hate...
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

Datch wrote:
trickster wrote:My prints are indeed connecting. The black ink lines are continuing from the one to the other.

Now post the whole story as I seen on fb you figured out :P
I did indeed make a post with these after figuring out the connection.
Rob suggested the correct order of the strips and said that the stick is actually a needle, which is an element used on the background of a 2007 tour poster too.

This is what I posted on his timeline on Sunday

Of course we all saw his email today so we know how these really look

Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Interesting it starts with death and ends in birth.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

Rob is selling fifty of each color uncut sheets today at $120 a piece and one per person.
As well as one hologram set.

WHITE: https://www.animalrummy.com/collections ... ster-white
RED: https://www.animalrummy.com/collections ... poster-red
671ED9F7-4904-4B62-A61C-757AE77F618C.jpeg
https://www.animalrummy.com/blogs/news/icky-thump-x
ICKY THUMP X
I recently handled design for Third Man Records' Vault 33 package along with The Third Man himself and TMR’s Nathanio Strimpopulos. The enormity of the task led this to be the most I’ve worked with Nathanio on a TMR project, and I have to give him props on providing some solid direction and being a great sounding board. He also handled the layout on the included photo book documenting the sessions, I only sent him some tax stamp seal designs to work with for the cover and endpapers.

Another call out to Bruce Yan who expertly vectorized the two part horse pin design taken from my original Icky Thump/Rag & Bone single cover made for NME.

Pretty good chance that if you’re reading this then you likely own it. I gotta say as a White Stripes fan it was a wonderful way of really celebrating a singular record. I meteor shower wish more folks would follow this style of presentation, i.e. individual discs for demos, main record, and B-sides/unique live tracks.

I know I’d eat a puppy to get this type of presentation for Danzig’s catalog or the Damned, the latter just to get a good copy of their demo cover of “Arnold Layne”.

Talking about writing an article about the package with Chris Jalufka of Eviltender.com, so I’ll save any fun tidbits for that.
UNCUTS FOR SALE

The above package came with 1 of 9 different 8X10 screenprint designs. I have some uncut versions, but not many. A lot of interest in these, but I wanted folks to have a chance to live with the individual images for a bit before showing the order of events as I imagined them.

White Paper Version: I have an edition of 50 of these.
Red Paper Version: I have an edition of 50 of these.
Holo Paper Version: I have 1 of these.
These are available now in the store.
One set per person please.

RANDOM
For the past few TMR jobs I’ve asked Steve at D&L Screenprinting to make some fun variants using whatever interesting paper stocks he had laying around the shop and then they’re split between myself and TMR. You might have seen some given away at the Detroit Pressing Plant opening. Two of these will be made available through friends for some charity biz in the near future.

Houston’s own Jermaine Rogers organized an auction to benefit victims of Hurricane Harvey. One of these weird ones will be part of that auction, but he’ll have a lot of great rarities from other folks that might tempt you as well. You can find more details on Jermaine's Facebook page.

Dan Schlissell of Stand Up Records’ fame will handle the auction of a couple of weird items from me including one of these printed on blue paper. I felt blue was emotionally appropriate as it’s in benefit of the family of Lashonda Lester. Lashonda was a rising comic star from Detroit who moved to Austin and was blowing shit up before she died way too fucking soon. I only got to see her perform once at the Altercation Comedy Festival. She announced her Motor City origin to a singular “wooo” from the audience. She replied with the below:

You from Detroit? …. No? Why are you wooing it then, you just like the White Stripes?

She then told the audience an incredible accounting of being a madame servicing freak auto executives. She was the highlight of the festival for me followed closely by The Beaumonts and David Heti.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”