Vault #33

rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Re: Vault #33

Post by rsimms3 »

It's not a repress, it's a reissue. New transfer, new plates, and new pressing.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

rsimms3 wrote:It's not a repress, it's a reissue. New transfer, new plates, and new pressing.
That's actually an important distinction. They pulled out the original tapes and made all new plates. It will be interesting to hear the differences.
pj101ca
Little Acorn

Post by pj101ca »

Is it ready yet?? I want it now!
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

rsimms3 wrote:It's not a repress, it's a reissue. New transfer, new plates, and new pressing.
So if it is a remaster, does that mean not the Steve Hoffman master of the original LP? Wonder if they will use the Meg version of Rag and Bone this time.
GoGoHarlemBaby
Little Bird

Post by GoGoHarlemBaby »

I'm excited- Never been a huge fan of reissues in the vault, but I think the Red Demos and book makes it worth it, I will alwayst be excited for unheard White Stripes, especially demos. I will be interested to hear if there is a noticeable difference with making new plates, I know there was some controversy with IT's mastering, but can't remember what it was.

As a side note, this takes me back to a really good year of my own life. Saw the White Stripes when they played at George Mason in Fairfax on the Icky Thump tour, it was my first and only time seeing them. It was also a year when I met some of my lifelong friends and Icky Thump was played a lot that year. And anytime I see anything new White Stripes I just really feel a sense of magic with that band, they were something special...not that I needed to tell anyone on this forum that...
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

JonnyH wrote:I'm not complaining, I've already bought this album 5 ways, so what's a sixth? I just find it funny that people who have been subscribers since day 1 are getting a second special edition of Icky Thump. But hey, this one is stereo. :D

It really is one beautiful and overflowing package.
:lol:

Exactly what I was thinking!
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

dunedin wrote:
So if it is a remaster, does that mean not the Steve Hoffman master of the original LP? Wonder if they will use the Meg version of Rag and Bone this time.

Given available information and a lack of Steve's name in the announcement I would guess he wasn't involved with this project.

Http://stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=112807
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Jack Horner
Little Bird

Post by Jack Horner »

It's not the same, but that opening snippet of the song Monkeys Have It Easy is reminiscent of the Masters Apprentices song Turn Up Your Radio.
Check it out...
https://youtu.be/1POR4H0gJss[/youtube]
Meg is my favourite.
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

dunedin wrote:Wonder if they will use the Meg version of Rag and Bone this time.
Or the unheard third version.
mysteriousprism
Little Bird

Post by mysteriousprism »

I'm getting more hyped as I look again at the announcement. I've been out of the Jack White/Third Man loop for like 2 years now, I've been keeping up, but can hardly muster the enthusiasm I had in 2012-2014. That being said I'm quite excited for this!

I still don't have a copy of Icky Thump on vinyl, so it'll be great to get one (I've still been to lazy to pickup a copy of GBMS), and The Red Demos LP is sure to be a hoot. I'm most excited for for the B-Sides LP, I adore "Cash Grab Complications On The Matter" and the others. What I find very interesting in the press release is the credit for "Baby Brother" to Bill Carter and the Rovin' Gamblers, who rightfully deserve credit, however on the original Icky Thump 7" and in the BMI catalog (as seen here,y'all should also scroll through Jack's credits on there, you'll find some interesting stuff) the tune is attributed solely to Jack. I've always been a bit peeved by this, it seemed a bit like plagiarism to me (and I'm also annoyed that I didn't have the foresight to by the acetate copy of the Bill Carter single that was on eBay a few years back).

I'm also curious how the new mastering will sound, I've got a high-quality rip of the Mono LP (which I don't think they can reissue, isn't that part of the vault "covenant") and there's definitely some clipping/distortion present, probably having been mixed or sourced digitally. I've not yet sampled any of the TMP-pressed records, are they finally doing decent quality control (I never liked a thing that came out of URP)? Anyway, along with the book and other goodies I'm sure this will be an A-grade vault package, maybe in another 40 years we'll get a Super Deluxe Edition with the mono mix, and a new stereo/7.1 surround mix done by the ghost of Vance Powell.
"What gave me this power to construct you? Your guess is as good as mine."
-Cash Grab Complications on the Matter
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

Hmm, unreleased WS stuff lurking in the BMI catalog credits, I see . . . (A few of the entries have him confused with the other Jack White, though.)
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Wow. This could be he first time the pressed vinyl matches the photo mock ups.

I'm impressed..
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

arewhyehen wrote:Wow. This could be he first time the pressed vinyl matches the photo mock ups.

I'm impressed..
image.jpeg
don't jinx it!
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

love_islander wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:Wow. This could be he first time the pressed vinyl matches the photo mock ups.

I'm impressed..
image.jpeg
don't jinx it!
True. That is probably the only good looking one out of the 500 they have pressed so far :lol:
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Aquamarine wrote:Hmm, unreleased WS stuff lurking in the BMI catalog credits, I see . . . (A few of the entries have him confused with the other Jack White, though.)
Que...?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."