Vault #31

trickster
Greek Mod

Vault #31

Post by trickster »

ImageImage
ImageImage
This time last year we were gearing up for the release of Margo Price's debut album Midwest Farmer's Daughter. This was a straight-out-of-Nashville record we loved from first listen, and we are beyond thrilled that the release has led to many others discovering this singular and enigmatic artist and coming to love her as much as we do. Margo Price and her band The Pricetags had a banner year full of accolades, television appearances, incendiary live shows, and tons of good times. We'd like to celebrate the success of this cherished member of the Third Man family with the announcement of our latest Vault Package, all in honor of Margo Price, with the package in all its glory arriving on your doorstep right around the one year anniversary of the Midwest Farmer's Daughter release.

Margo Price Live at The Hamilton, Washington DC 11-9-2016

Margo and her band rolled into our nation’s capital after seven hours on the road on November 8 — election day — and spent the night in the up-for-grabs city as the results came in and anxieties rose across the country. The very next evening they played one of the most poignant and significant shows of the tour and quite possibly of their careers. As luck would have it, the tape was rolling. The set is a great mix of album tracks, live, road-tested favorites, and a batch of classic country covers from Waylon Jennings & Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Kris Kristofferson, and Billy Joe Shaver. Third Man Records is beyond proud to present this serendipitous landmark live show with a vellum optical sleeve on double 180-gram vinyl — one green and one white.

Set List:

Hands of Time

Black Rose (Billy Joe Shaver cover)

Tennessee Song

Paper Cowboy

Yeah You’re Right

Desperate and Depressed

Weekender

Red Bandana (Merle Haggard cover)

Me And Bobby McGee (Kris Kristofferson cover)

Four Years of Chances

Ain’t Living Long Like This (Waylon Jennings & Willie Nelson cover)

Margo Price - Blue Room Sessions 7"

When we first asked Margo to come by Third Man Records to say hello and talk about her music and the album she had just recorded at Sun Studios in Memphis, we happened to be hosting open-to-the-public recording sessions on our 1955 Scully Lathe all day in the Blue Room for direct-to-acetate recordings (Third Man Recording Service). No record label in their right mind with an engineer behind the glass and a voice like Margo’s in front of it would let an opportunity like this pass them by, so we asked if she wanted to cut a tune. What she delivered was a tear-inducing solo version of “Desperate & Depressed” which was later re-recorded as the B Side for her first single from last year, “Hurtin’ on the Bottle.” It was powerful and it was fearless and this was the pivotal moment we knew we were hooked on Margo for good.

In a nod to that first meeting with her (a truly legendary day for us, for anyone interested in Third Man lore), we invited Margo down to play two new songs live in the Blue Room, cut direct-to-acetate on our fabled lathe. Here we present the third in our series of Blue Room Sessions (previous entries include Cat Stevens and Coupler) and the first as a Vault-exclusive. The A-side features a new, never-before-recorded, original composition titled "You Told Me With Your Eyes," followed by another never-previously-recorded (by Margo that is...) cover of Billy Grammer's classic leaving tune "Gotta Travel On" on blue vinyl.

Margo Price Live at Austin City Limits DVD

Another landmark moment for Margo this year was her Austin City Limits taping, which will air January 21 on PBS. The good people from ACL have been kind enough to allow us to release this DVD of her performance featuring the entire broadcast version, and perhaps a few surprises... stay tuned.

Skull Collar Pin

For our first bonus item, perhaps the the most outlaw piece of wearable art we’ve ever created: a ¾” white and gold enamel collar pin with a gold-tone chain for wear across your top button or on your lapel. The skull image is inspired by a tattoo Margo sports on her left leg and guarantees its wearer instant cowboy credibility.

2017 Challenge Coin

Bonus item part two of two in Vault #31 is our second annual issuing of the Third Man Records Challenge Coin. Usually used as totems to signify membership in a military organization, challenge coins are slowly making their way into other realms of culture. The Third Man Records 2017 Challenge Coin will entitle its bearer (like the 2016 version) to 10% off purchases in our Detroit or Nashville storefronts for the duration of this year. It will also double as a large hole 45 adaptor. (And, if you want to “challenge” your Vault member friends to see who’s holding theirs with any empty-handed folks buying the next round of drinks… well that’s just the kind of camaraderie we hope to continue to foster amongst our most loyal and die-hard fans.) Vault package #31 is the ONLY way to get this coin… it will not be issued individually or in future packages.
Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Re: Vault #31

Post by rsimms3 »

Paid for it 1/1/2017....
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

Very disappointed. Margo is fine enough but I feel they'd have appealed to more people had they have just dedicated one part of the package to her rather than the entire thing.

Also disappointed with how similar looking the new challenge coin is to the previous one.
Last edited by Jamie on Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Anyone want mine? need to get my payment date changed so I don't get stuck with something like this again.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

I'm very charmed by that collar pin.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I was at the 11/9 show at the Hamilton so I'm beyond ecstatic for this one. I enjoyed the Wanda, Willie, and Pearl Jam packages, too, so having one non-Jack package every other year or so doesn't bother me.

But seriously, y'all, I'm surprised more of you haven't changed your subscription dates already.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
vozhyk87
Little Acorn

Post by vozhyk87 »

I guess no need for this package for me since I had no idea who Margo Price was until today. Does anyone know if TMR voids Tidal coupon code immediately after cancelling?
Datch
Little Acorn

Post by Datch »

vozhyk87 wrote:I guess no need for this package for me since I had no idea who Margo Price was until today. Does anyone know if TMR voids Tidal coupon code immediately after cancelling?
Probably, but you can put your Tidal account on hiatus till you get a new code with resubscribing, (Which I think you have to do with a new account cause they won't reissue a new code when you cancelled and resubscribed, I believe thats what they where saying at the time anyways.)

To be on-topic: I love the teaser of Hands of time a lot. There will be no canceling on my part.
“More people know a fragment of his music than know his name.”
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

I bet the vault Monday sales will be REAL juicey for the next three months....
Didn't Mississippi and B-shows go for sale in the Pearl Jam window?
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Datch wrote: To be on-topic: I love the teaser of Hands of time a lot. There will be no canceling on my part.
That was an emotional show and Margo sounded fantastic. I almost didn't go to it, but changed my mind a day or so before and was so very glad I did.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
G-squared
Little Cream Soda

Post by G-squared »

vozhyk87 wrote:I guess no need for this package for me since I had no idea who Margo Price was until today. Does anyone know if TMR voids Tidal coupon code immediately after cancelling?
yep, cancelled right away...that's what happened for me.
Life is Music
And Music Isn't A Business
Iggy Pop
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Just bought two extras.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Margo really impressed me with her Tiny Desk Concert on NPR. I'll give this a shot.

Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

Datch wrote:
Probably, but you can put your Tidal account on hiatus till you get a new code with resubscribing, (Which I think you have to do with a new account cause they won't reissue a new code when you cancelled and resubscribed, I believe thats what they where saying at the time anyways.)

To be on-topic: I love the teaser of Hands of time a lot. There will be no canceling on my part.
I thought only people who were subscribed when the Tidal thing first happened got the discount and that new accounts don't? I could have misunderstood that.

I'm happy with this package, too, but am I right in thinking that this is the first Vault package that has no JW component/participation? He doesn't seem to be mentioned even as a producer.
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

I stuck with the Pearl Jam package and still haven't been enthused enough to open it; first cancellation here - thank goodness I've had enough issues over the years to push my date back to the 20th...