Vault #29

arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Re: Vault #29

Post by arewhyehen »

Jamie wrote:I was joking. I've actually just seen a Target commercial on Youtube so now I know 5 Pearl Jam songs.
b277d5e4b3997f1861cc64b53f1906564c8303d9d8e37d821db02098b3551f8f.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jack Horner
Little Bird

Post by Jack Horner »

BigBayBlue wrote:I can understand not liking Pearl Jam - everyone has different tastes. I'm not sure how someone that enjoys rock music enough to like Jack White manages to avoid hearing more than 4 Pearl Jam songs. I'm also not sure how you dislike a band you've never even listened to. I guess that goes hand in hand with not wanting to get a new record because you don't already know all the songs on it.

But I suppose that's how it goes. People complain when the Vault releases too many packages featuring Jack White's bands, and people complain when the packages feature anyone else - even if that band is one of the biggest, most respected rock bands in the world, apparently.

Regardless, this a huge get for the Vault. Pearl Jam will bring scores of new subscribers, and even if only a small percentage stick around, that will help us get bigger and better sets down the road. If they're smart, they will make Vault #30 a big one to lure the Pearl Jam fans into staying.
To be fair, it's very hard to tell if you've heard more than four Pearl Jam songs, as they've been remaking the same four songs for so long. It's like hearing the Foo Fighters - but they only have three songs.
Meg is my favourite.
axlklr88
Little Bird

Post by axlklr88 »

Beh, not only would I say I'm not a fan of PJ, I actually rather dislike them – I'll be sitting this one out.

In any case, I won't complain, TMR give us awesome stuff. Enjoy PJ fans :thumbup:
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

Jack Horner wrote:
BigBayBlue wrote:I can understand not liking Pearl Jam - everyone has different tastes. I'm not sure how someone that enjoys rock music enough to like Jack White manages to avoid hearing more than 4 Pearl Jam songs. I'm also not sure how you dislike a band you've never even listened to. I guess that goes hand in hand with not wanting to get a new record because you don't already know all the songs on it.

But I suppose that's how it goes. People complain when the Vault releases too many packages featuring Jack White's bands, and people complain when the packages feature anyone else - even if that band is one of the biggest, most respected rock bands in the world, apparently.

Regardless, this a huge get for the Vault. Pearl Jam will bring scores of new subscribers, and even if only a small percentage stick around, that will help us get bigger and better sets down the road. If they're smart, they will make Vault #30 a big one to lure the Pearl Jam fans into staying.
To be fair, it's very hard to tell if you've heard more than four Pearl Jam songs, as they've been remaking the same four songs for so long. It's like hearing the Foo Fighters - but they only have three songs.
:lol:
Chiefbrody
Little Bird

Post by Chiefbrody »

I'll definitely be sitting this one out. I'm not complaining though - they can't all be gold, and I could do with the money to buy other records.

I find that I respect Pearl Jam, more than I like their music. They seem like decent guys, and have been vocal supporters of some good causes.

This seems a little bit of a strange choice to me as a VP, insofar as they're a massive, well known band with their own fanclub to be putting out special live records. With Willie (I'm prepared to be wrong on this), there was a sense of potentially introducing him to a new audience, and I'd be surprised if Willie has a significant fanclub. I'd think Pearl Jam are well known among Vault Subbers - if you're into them, great; if not, there are probably easier ways to explore them than a 10 track live album. I'd be interested to hear it, but not to pay £60 for it.

It seems odd to effectively be charging two different prices, but I can understand the rationale from Pearl Jam's perspective, that it's a bonus to their own paying fans. I can't imagine a single package dedicated to the band is going to result in a notable increase in Vault subscribers - there's nothing in the package that I'd think will make them desperate to hear more Jack White-related material. It seems more likely there will be more Pearl Jam-converts than Vault-converts as a result of this package.

I hope it's a good one for those subbing this quarter though, and looking forward to hearing what's in store for VP30. .
DonTazeMeBro
Little Bird

Post by DonTazeMeBro »

Jack Horner wrote:

While Pearl Jams sound has remained pretty consistent (i'll use that word) the new album Lightning Bolt i think is pretty great. I am more of an Eddie Vedder fan myself, he is an amazing artist, i urge you to check out the "into the wild" soundtrack if you have never listened. And while your Foo Fighters comment has some merit the Color and the Shape is a great fuckin album.
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

WWKRD???
he is everything i hate...
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

KR...?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Post by runofthemill »

Kid Rock
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Or Keith Richards.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

tsk. how far this place has fallen. it's easy, if you just think about it...
he is everything i hate...
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

elduderino wrote:tsk. how far this place has fallen. it's easy, if you just think about it...
Kelly Ripa.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

KeeleR...? Didn't you used to have a man-crush on him, Larry?
rival
Little Ghost

Post by rival »

To those of you who only know 4-5 PJ songs, you're really missing out.

Their catalogue is insanely deep, their songwriting is all over the map and incredibly good. Everyone knows Even Flow or Alive but dig a little deeper and listen to some tunes like Nothing As It Seems, Present Tense, 1/2 Full, In Hiding, Red Mosquito to name a few. These aren't my favorite tunes by any means, just showing you a bit of the scope you don't associate with the flannel wearing headbangers.

Seriously, give them a listen. You might surprise yourself.
Hey, it's just a fucking record. Chill.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

I've got most of pearl jams LPS digitally on FLAC
You can hit play and go all day - it's a deep selection of tunes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you