Vault #29

BigBayBlue
Little Bird

Re: Vault #29

Post by BigBayBlue »

I can understand not liking Pearl Jam - everyone has different tastes. I'm not sure how someone that enjoys rock music enough to like Jack White manages to avoid hearing more than 4 Pearl Jam songs. I'm also not sure how you dislike a band you've never even listened to. I guess that goes hand in hand with not wanting to get a new record because you don't already know all the songs on it.

But I suppose that's how it goes. People complain when the Vault releases too many packages featuring Jack White's bands, and people complain when the packages feature anyone else - even if that band is one of the biggest, most respected rock bands in the world, apparently.

Regardless, this a huge get for the Vault. Pearl Jam will bring scores of new subscribers, and even if only a small percentage stick around, that will help us get bigger and better sets down the road. If they're smart, they will make Vault #30 a big one to lure the Pearl Jam fans into staying.
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

BigBayBlue wrote:I can understand not liking Pearl Jam - everyone has different tastes. I'm not sure how someone that enjoys rock music enough to like Jack White manages to avoid hearing more than 4 Pearl Jam songs. I'm also not sure how you dislike a band you've never even listened to. I guess that goes hand in hand with not wanting to get a new record because you don't already know all the songs on it.

But I suppose that's how it goes. People complain when the Vault releases too many packages featuring Jack White's bands, and people complain when the packages feature anyone else - even if that band is one of the biggest, most respected rock bands in the world, apparently.

Regardless, this a huge get for the Vault. Pearl Jam will bring scores of new subscribers, and even if only a small percentage stick around, that will help us get bigger and better sets down the road. If they're smart, they will make Vault #30 a big one to lure the Pearl Jam fans into staying.
Apologies, will include the :arrow: sarcasm symbol in future. Can't promise on Jamie's behalf though
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

Interesting that they seem to be encouraging new subscribers despite Jack making vague noises about the Vault packages having to end "someday." Maybe someday = 2033.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Aquamarine wrote:Interesting that they seem to be encouraging new subscribers despite Jack making vague noises about the Vault packages having to end "someday." Maybe someday = 2033.
Jack the Obscure, Jack the Tease, Mr. "Hmmmmm", Mr. "...........". Gotta remember what to have handy when reading so many of his comments, 'cause it's so hard to tell when he's being serious and when he's just giving us a mind-fuck--

"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

"Vague noises" does imply I'm not taking his words as gospel. ;)
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

So then why's it interesting that they're encouraging new subscribers? They also still include the Vault advertisement postcard in all non-Vault TMR shipments.

Jack White, Provocateur Extraordinaire...
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

Perceived mixed signals are faintly interesting (though probably meaningless) was my only point!
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

"Perceived mixed signals". Sounds like one of Jack's hobbies, alright.

Speaking of provocateurs, apparently there's been conversation over at the PJ forums about "What's this Vault thing all about and just how valuable are those packages?" Will be interesting to see what happens to the collector's market if some of the folks signing up for this package decide to go looking for past ones.
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

i'll sell my singles collection vol 1 (vault 3 i think?) to some PJ fans for 700 bucks.
he is everything i hate...
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

shaneoftheroad wrote:
Coma16 wrote:
shaneoftheroad wrote:This is only the 2nd time I've been "meh" about a Vault release. But that's not bad. 2 out of 29, that's a good track record. Pearl Jam fans, enjoy!
Which is the other one? There have been a few that were "meh", or more just not for me I guess. Especially for close to $100 after exchange rates and such. Listening to 28 now and it's an absolute gem so far. Scared to put on sides C+D....
I haven't flat-out hated any of them. But the other "meh" for me was the Willie Nelson Vault.
I am surprised that so many people hate the Willie Nelson vault....still one of my favourite's. It helps a lot that Neil Young is on it for me... I think in the same way this vault will be the favourite of many JW/PJ fans..
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Coma16 wrote:
shaneoftheroad wrote:
Coma16 wrote:
shaneoftheroad wrote:This is only the 2nd time I've been "meh" about a Vault release. But that's not bad. 2 out of 29, that's a good track record. Pearl Jam fans, enjoy!
Which is the other one? There have been a few that were "meh", or more just not for me I guess. Especially for close to $100 after exchange rates and such. Listening to 28 now and it's an absolute gem so far. Scared to put on sides C+D....
I haven't flat-out hated any of them. But the other "meh" for me was the Willie Nelson Vault.
I passed on that one but i know it's a fave for a few members here. I don't mind that they mix it up a bit, plus they likely need to if they want to have the material to keep this going.
:wave: me
Coma16
Little Cream Soda

Post by Coma16 »

arewhyehen wrote:
Coma16 wrote:
shaneoftheroad wrote:
Coma16 wrote:
I passed on that one but i know it's a fave for a few members here. I don't mind that they mix it up a bit, plus they likely need to if they want to have the material to keep this going.
lol I was actually referring to you but didn't want to name names ;)
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

love_islander wrote:
Jamie wrote:None of the four Pearl Jam songs I've heard of are on it. Cancelling.
You've heard 4 PJ songs? I can think of 2 - since I can't sing along to any of this record, I'm also cancelling
Jamie wrote:None of the four Pearl Jam songs I've heard of are on it. Cancelling.

I find this hard to believe...but I am sure this is just sarcasm.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Coma16 wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:
Coma16 wrote:
shaneoftheroad wrote:
Coma16 wrote:
lol I was actually referring to you but didn't want to name names ;)
Haha, maybe I am the only one who enjoyed that one so much.
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

I was joking. I've actually just seen a Target commercial on Youtube so now I know 5 Pearl Jam songs.