333 ft underground concert

Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Re: 333 ft underground concert

Post by Aquamarine »

None of our group thought there was the slightest chance Jack would perform. It was a Tennessee country music showcase, and a wildly popular one with the crowd. Jack's not one to upstage the very artists he's trying to promote. And the idea for it was as much Tennessee Vacation's as it was Third Man's.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

(redacted)
Last edited by shaneoftheroad on Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

Yes, there was some ridiculous speculation because there always is, but we didn't all share it, not even in the back of our minds. Most of the people in the crowd don't belong to those groups. It just didn't seem like the sort of thing he"d do, for the reason I mentioned, and he didn't.

And I would dispute the characterization of these performers as mediocre too, but I guess that's personal choice. But I will say that a lot of people were there because they were country fans, and Jack White was just an interesting bonus to them.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

(redacted)
Last edited by shaneoftheroad on Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

I'm not saying a lot of people didn't care about him, but that there were a lot of country fans there who were there primarily to hear the bands. For them Jack was just a bonus.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I had my experience, I'm sure other people will come along and say theirs was different, which is fine. Back to lurkdom.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

(redacted)
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

I didn't even know Jack had anything to do with it until the day after.
I still didn't care.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Yeah I agree with Shane. From reading the Facebook comments, lots of people were hoping Jack would perform and were going because he would be there and hoped to meet him. I know there were a bunch who took items just to get them signed. So again, they were there for other reasons than the music.

I will say though, what the hell are the chances that this cave is so close by and has a stage in it and is 333ft below ground?
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

My last comment on this-- way more people don't belong to TMRC than do. ;) They weren't the majority of people in that audience.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Aquamarine wrote:My last comment on this-- way more people don't belong to TMRC than do. ;) They weren't the majority of people in that audience.
Yeah but unfortunately it's my only POV on things now days. This place has died down a lot due to Jack's hiatus. Would much rather get my info from people around this place.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

(redacted)
Last edited by shaneoftheroad on Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

shaneoftheroad wrote:
Aquamarine wrote:My last comment on this-- way more people don't belong to TMRC than do. ;) They weren't the majority of people in that audience.
I'm not sure why it means so much to you that Jack White had little to nothing to do with the turnout but I'll give it to you.
I'm sure he was a factor in the turnout, I'm saying that not everybody was expecting him to perform! Maybe I should try again in another language . . .
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

arewhyehen wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:Just a big "novelty" way to get people to listen to mediocre to average music.
So the audience full of people who gave all four musicians standing ovations all have crappy taste in music?
Would you have driven/flown to Nashville for this show if it wasn't in the bottom of a cave? No. That's my point. I think the idea is cool, but I guess I am just getting tired of all the novelty things TMR is doing. It's getting to the point that it's cheesy and not so much about the music anymore.
I flew there for a combination of reasons. In random order-- I am a huge Margo Price fan. I am a growing Craig Brown fan. I was very curious about Joshua Hedley (and after this performance I'm very likely to become a big fan of his music, too). Jack White was the host and I wanted to hear his intros of the musicians (which were in some cases very funny). I had heard about this venue a few years ago and was fascinated by it but never thought I'd ever get to see a show there (and holy hell, the place is incredible both visually and acoustically). And, last but very definitely not least, I had the opportunity to attend with a handful of good friends, which for 7 years now has been one of the biggest reasons I go to Third Man-related events.

I came away from this event feeling that it was ALL about the music. The setting was just a bonus that added some fun and adventure to it.

shaneoftheroad wrote:
Aquamarine wrote:I'm not saying a lot of people didn't care about him, but that there were a lot of country fans there who were there primarily to hear the bands. For them Jack was just a bonus.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I had my experience, I'm sure other people will come along and say theirs was different, which is fine. Back to lurkdom.
Peace and love, by the way. Don't feel you need to lurk. I miss the Swirl and this conversation has been interesting at least.
For what it's worth, I've also begun to refrain from posting here at Swirl. There's always been a blase, cooler-than-thou undercurrent here, but lately the jaded cynicism has increased to really irritating levels. It's a shame, because I used to really enjoy this place, too.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
suttree
Little Cream Soda

Post by suttree »

Had fun seeing old friends including Kali and Aquamarine. I've been wanting to see Lillie Mae. They had her colored vinyl at the merch stand. I didn't have those. Josh Hedley was way better than expected. Been listening to what I can find on YouTube. It was fun to see a show in a cave. I used to go real caving. Jack was a gracious host. It was free. As TMR events go it was a genuinely fun one.
<JackWhite> suttree: who doesn't love lillie mae?
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

(redacted)
Last edited by shaneoftheroad on Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.