Devil's Night 2014 - Olivia Jean's Record Release Party

pgharf
Little Cream Soda

Re: Devil's Night 2014 - Olivia Jean's Record Release Party

Post by pgharf »

rsimms3 wrote:Wow, if you hadn't said that was Jack I don't know that I would have ever guessed. Great costume!
Some people at the event weren't certain it was Jack! It was an excellent costume. Olivia Jean's Twitter posted a pic of her, Jack & Unknown Hinson before she took the stage and in that photo, you can definitely tell it's him.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

pgharf wrote:http://youtu.be/GLx0BGu1zQQ

Apologies for the vertical video, but here's a short clip of Jack as the Tin Man
I wasn't too terribly sorry to have missed this until I saw that.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
jesxsmith
Little Bird

Post by jesxsmith »

pgharf wrote:
Stl_ben wrote:
pgharf wrote:
Stl_ben wrote:
pgharf wrote:http://youtu.be/GLx0BGu1zQQ

Apologies for the vertical video, but here's a short clip of Jack as the Tin Man
REALLY surprised they didn't kick you out for that.....
There was never a "no photo/video please" announcement made, and I know several people from TMR saw me taking pictures. No one said anything. I know at least a few other people around me got video of that moment as well.
That's new then...there has always been a sign right on the door saying no photos. Have seen them be pretty strict about it too.
That was my first time at TMR & from speaking to some others who had been there before, they seemed pretty surprised as well.
They weren't enforcing the no photo thing and the sign was covered up with Halloween decorations. There were several people I saw on their phones. Including the third man guests and VIP's. I'm guessing since everyone was in costume they knew people would want pics. I'm a little bummed I didn't take any pics of it but I'd been to shows there before where they def. enforced the no phones thing and I didn't want to risk it lol
alteridiom
Little Acorn

Post by alteridiom »

Had a blast. Had no idea that was Jack. Fantastic. Breast Massage and Rose Hips were the winners of the night. Biggest disappointment was the lack of Olivia Jean records. They were sold out when I got there around 07:15. Would have thought that with this acting as a record release show for her that they would have had plenty to go around. Strange to have a release show where you can't actually purchase the release. Picked up the 45 box, which looks great, and a shot glass.
Looking for White Denim Black and Blue
scoliosispony
Little Acorn

Post by scoliosispony »

The Tin Man seemed like the perfect symbol of why I love Jack and Third Man. Everything is so digital these days and he has made his mark holding onto to the past and updating it for the present. Nobody can sell albums like they used to and here he is getting young kids to start buying vinyl. Watching him do that song up there I remembered that technology makes me feel hollowed out inside, and I think it's a common condition of life in the 21st century, but searching for a heart (in music or wherever your road takes you) is still a valuable endeavor. Everything that's real and human has existed way longer than every new machine and looking to the past for those real things you can cling to that give our lives meaning is a great thing. Met so many awesome folks (and nobody will ever recognize me without my costume) and got to share a really intimate experience that was all about our love of music. That was my first concert at Third Man, and I'll never forget it. It was a perfect night, and couldn't have been any better.
i won't let love disrupt, corrupt, or interrupt me anymore...

Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

^^ That's beautiful, man. And I'm not being facetious.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

And then Jack would say he's all in favor of technology . . .

The only effect it has on people is the one they let it have, really. So perhaps that's the point here.
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

So there's all this talk about photos, but no photos posted... :wave:
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

I posted several on Facebook
Jeffrey Scott Harned is the name.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

Alabama Woody wrote:I posted several on Facebook
ah, normally you're on my news feed, but had to track you down. Thanks Woody
pgharf
Little Cream Soda

Post by pgharf »

Just posted a bunch on my Instagram @pghgurl. Was going to make an album on Flickr but was having issues with the mobile version.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

love_islander wrote:
Alabama Woody wrote:I posted several on Facebook
ah, normally you're on my news feed, but had to track you down. Thanks Woody
Good to see you on here !
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
HonestJohn
Little Bird

Post by HonestJohn »

TMR pulled out all the stops as you would expect. The scary decor was awesome! Even more so than I remember from the last one (of course, the staff is a lot larger too and they were put to work). And tons of detail, as you would expect as one of the hallmarks of TMR. For example, I didn't even realize until the end that the merch table was an antique embalming table. A little cemetary was set up outside the Blue Room. All kinds of laser lights, smoke pots, and projections, skeletons suspended around the Blue Room like they were watching from opera box seats. I think one was holding opera glasses to its eye sockets. Everyone one was dressed up, even the bartenders. There's no way for the ticket price TMR made anything on this with all the money they put into it.

Jack's appearance as the Tin Man lip-synching "If I Only Had a Heart" was, if I may say, the cutest thing ever seen on the TMR stage. Like a lot of people, it took me a few seconds to realize it was him. But he was really into it, expressions and all. If this rock thing doesn't work out, he would be awesome at musical theater. I only realized the next day the connection with the Glace Bay poster and the UGWNL art.

JP5 was the musical highlight of the evening for me, but all the acts were excellent and the side acts kept things entertaining. The only let-down was that Unknown Hinson was a little underwhelming as an emcee. I was expecting some hilarious stage banter, but we didn't get much of that. Also, I didn't get there late at all and they had already sold out of the OJ album with special cover. How many did they have? 25? But at least I was able to get a mug.

So it was an awesome Devil's Night party once again. It obviously not an annual thing, but if you get lucky and get the chance to go, you definitely should. I don't get to TMR shows as much as I used to, but it was nice to see some familiar faces and enjoy the spooky side of TMR. :twisted:
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

HonestJohn wrote:I only realized the next day the connection with the Glace Bay poster and the UGWNL art.
And let's not ever forget . . .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
pgharf
Little Cream Soda

Post by pgharf »

The back of the Born Rotten box, for those interested and my personal haul from Devil's Night
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.