TMR 215 Michael Kiwanuka

Jimmy the Exploder
Little Bird

TMR 215 Michael Kiwanuka

Post by Jimmy the Exploder »

Third Man Records is delighted to present Michael Kiwanuka's contribution to the TMR Blue Series of releases. Kiwanuka, a 25 year-old UK native of Ugandan heritage, was raised in north London where he split his time between session work and local gigs. Along the way, having found footing as a solo artist, he was signed to Communion Records, then Polydor, and has since performed throughout Europe and North America too—touring in direct support of Adele. He made his way through Nashville this past summer with just enough pause and aplomb to commit these morsels to tape. The A-side "You've Got Nothing to Lose" is an original composition, featuring The Buzzards' Dominic Davis on upright bass and Cory Younts on piano, joined also by fellow balladeer Lillie Mae Rische on fiddle. Their contributions transform his work into a stone-cold groove with almost orchestral underpinnings, making it a fitting extension of their previous Blue Series.

Produced by Jack White, the single also features a chilling rendition of Townes Van Zandt's infamous "Waitin' 'Round to Die" on the B-side, the perfect compliment to the timbre and mood of the A-side.

http://thirdmanstore.com/michael-kiwanu ... se-7-vinyl
mattyk
Little Bird

Re: TMR 215 Michael Kiwanuka

Post by mattyk »

I guessed this for the "Monkey Band" contest awhile ago. Does anyone know when they notify the winners?

Thanks!
Obliquitous
Little Acorn

Post by Obliquitous »

Can't wait to get one, sounds very cool.
Kali Durga - "For all you know, that guy might be a very cool person who just happens to look like your idea of an asshole."
Jimmy the Exploder
Little Bird

Post by Jimmy the Exploder »

Obliquitous wrote:Can't wait to get one, sounds very cool.
Me Too!!
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I placed my order before the video was even half-way through. This is exactly what I love about the Blue Series, when they introduce me to something that is unexpected and that grabs me immediately.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
hellosmith
Little Acorn

Post by hellosmith »

that music video has been on my mind all day long.
~༼✷ɷ✷༽~
MWooten34
Little Cream Soda

Post by MWooten34 »

I have to get it just for the TVZ cover. Haven't heard it yet but I'm excited.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Just received my shipping confirmation.

The 2014 Blue Series is starting out damned fine so far, I think.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
destijl
Little Acorn

Post by destijl »

UK tri-colour release?????? I'll be there. Been to all so far.
•<Jack White> we also want to come up with vault packages you don't like, a streaming service to make rich people richer, a t shirt
too big for you, and a bunch of shit you don't want but we're hold ing a gun to your head to purchase.
dcmak5
Little Acorn

Post by dcmak5 »

CourtneyBlush
Little Cream Soda

Post by CourtneyBlush »

The video to that is just tooo close to home... My daughter still doesn't speak to me and she is 21 now.
"It's a test, designed to provoke an emotional response."
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

Just got around to checking this one out. I'd have to say that it's easily my favorite blue series. Goddamn beautiful. Bravo, TMR...bravo.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Received this tonight. Love it. Waitin' 'Round to Die is the big winner for me, though the a-side is certainly beautiful, too. Hope TMR keeps the Blues comin'.
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

mojoryan wrote:Goddamn beautiful. Bravo, TMR...bravo.
This.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
JWhiteIII
Little Acorn

Post by JWhiteIII »

hot damn this is one good 7". this is the first thing i've bought from TMR in about 8 months and i'm glad i did
Across the Rio Grand-e-o.....