Paramount Record Box Set

dunedin
Little Ghost

Re: Paramount Record Box Set

Post by dunedin »

woodisgood wrote:
koala wrote:Question for Volume 2 owners: If all the records are label-less, how do you tell them apart?
The run-out inscriptions.
The side numbers are also etched on the indentation where the label isn't.
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

From April 23-25 2015, The Center for the Humanities will present The Rise and Fall and Rise of Paramount Records, a three-day program exploring the music, history and artists of Wisconsin’s own Paramount Records...

http://thirdmanrecords.com/news/three-d ... t-records/
sogxgolfx
Little Bird

Post by sogxgolfx »

Might have to make a trip out to Madison on Thursday
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

That sounds so fantastic. I'd love to hear whatever talk Amanda Petrusich gives.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I just found out the Baltimore Museum of Art has an RCA Victor Special, the model of phonograph that the Volume 2 case replicates-- http://blog.artbma.org/2014/10/bma-voic ... -a-record/ Need to find out where in the museum it is, since I've never noticed it.

"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Damn, that's cool !
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
leem96
Little Bird

Post by leem96 »

In regards to the quality of the music, which box set would you recommend. Both sets look beautiful. I see good artists in both volumes. I'd just like to know which features a better collection of music. I was leaning towards volume 2.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

leem96 wrote:In regards to the quality of the music, which box set would you recommend. Both sets look beautiful. I see good artists in both volumes. I'd just like to know which features a better collection of music. I was leaning towards volume 2.
Depends on what you're looking for. I've found that I haven't gotten as caught up in Volume 2 as I expected to. It's full of tremendous artists, I thought I'd be listening to it daily for weeks, but I haven't. In thinking about it, I realized that it's because Volume 1 was a case of discovery, almost every thing in it was brand spanking new to me, it exposed me to music I only barely knew anything about, if anything at all, and I fell in love with things that I never would have expected to. It was full of surprise and delight. Volume 2, on the other hand, includes people like Son House, Charley Patton, and Skip James whom I've already been listening to for a couple of years, and amongst the rest there doesn't seem to be much that's very different style-wise from Volume 1. So there's much less sense of discovery and surprise for me in Volume 2. One of these days I'm going to make myself sit down and spend the time getting to know it better, see if I can find some things on it that hit me like things in the first set did.

My impression also is that female blues artists are better represented in Volume 1, and iconic male blues artists are better represented in Volume 2. So, again, it depends on what you're looking for.
leem96
Little Bird

Post by leem96 »

Kali Durga wrote:
leem96 wrote:In regards to the quality of the music, which box set would you recommend. Both sets look beautiful. I see good artists in both volumes. I'd just like to know which features a better collection of music. I was leaning towards volume 2.
Depends on what you're looking for. I've found that I haven't gotten as caught up in Volume 2 as I expected to. It's full of tremendous artists, I thought I'd be listening to it daily for weeks, but I haven't. In thinking about it, I realized that it's because Volume 1 was a case of discovery, almost every thing in it was brand spanking new to me, it exposed me to music I only barely knew anything about, if anything at all, and I fell in love with things that I never would have expected to. It was full of surprise and delight. Volume 2, on the other hand, includes people like Son House, Charley Patton, and Skip James whom I've already been listening to for a couple of years, and amongst the rest there doesn't seem to be much that's very different style-wise from Volume 1. So there's much less sense of discovery and surprise for me in Volume 2. One of these days I'm going to make myself sit down and spend the time getting to know it better, see if I can find some things on it that hit me like things in the first set did.

My impression also is that female blues artists are better represented in Volume 1, and iconic male blues artists are better represented in Volume 2. So, again, it depends on what you're looking for.
Thanks. Yeah well I am more interested in big name blues artists like Son House and Blind Lemon but the idea of discovering new music is always tempting. Going to be a tough decision. Don't have the money for both.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I think there's more of Blind Lemon Jefferson on the first set. Blind Blake is on both, not sure which has more. No Patton, Son House, or Skip James on the first one at all.

Does the design of the sets influence your decision at all, or only the music?
leem96
Little Bird

Post by leem96 »

Kali Durga wrote:I think there's more of Blind Lemon Jefferson on the first set. Blind Blake is on both, not sure which has more. No Patton, Son House, or Skip James on the first one at all.

Does the design of the sets influence your decision at all, or only the music?
Not necessarily. Both are beautiful. I personally love the art deco aesthetic of the mock RCA Victor case in volume two but the insides of volume one are a little nicer. However music takes precedence. I love finding new music but I want to be able to still enjoy it. I worry that if its too far out of my tastes I'll find it tougher to get into. Tough decision when its $400.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

I really like Volume One. The way its made. Love it. Music wise they both have a ton. Both have really nice books. All the print stuff is really nice in both Volumes, Very nicely made. I like the records in Volume One better. Due to the labels. The USB’s are both cool.

I bought Volume Two from Collectors choice but it was beat all to hell when I got it but they refunded all my money and paid to have it shipped back to them so I give Kudos to Collectors Choice. I haven’t bought another one yet. I did not like the looks of Volume Two. The music is going to be a little more “modern” in Volume Two. Honestly I can appreciate the music and I love the Historical Journey that Volume One provides. I am pretty much up on a shit ton of music from the 60’s and on but I wanted to go “backwards” in time and study the origins of music. Volume One is a fine way of doing that.

I plan on buying Volume Two someday but it seems like if you wait long enough some items at TMR get cheaper or a discount will be offered that applies to these sets. I also plan to pick it up in person.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I need to pay for my Volume 2. Bought it with PayPal Credit, thinking my tax refund would be more than enough to cover it. Well, the tax refund turned out to be nothin' this year and I gotta come up with $400 by mid-July or pay that ridiculous interest rate. Anyone wanna buy a kayak...?
PugFaceRex
Little Ghost

Post by PugFaceRex »

Kali Durga wrote:I need to pay for my Volume 2. Bought it with PayPal Credit, thinking my tax refund would be more than enough to cover it. Well, the tax refund turned out to be nothin' this year and I gotta come up with $400 by mid-July or pay that ridiculous interest rate. Anyone wanna buy a kayak...?
time for a kickstarter
<BluefordT> jey pals i am,we is,fuckeres rerred up
<BluefordT> jhdb
-------------------------------------------------------
<Quizze> i didnt like pug asking jack if he would eat himself as a hot dog.... off color
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

PugFaceRex wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:I need to pay for my Volume 2. Bought it with PayPal Credit, thinking my tax refund would be more than enough to cover it. Well, the tax refund turned out to be nothin' this year and I gotta come up with $400 by mid-July or pay that ridiculous interest rate. Anyone wanna buy a kayak...?
time for a kickstarter
Wonder if I could get enough through one of those to also put new tires on my car and fix my garbage disposal...