The Dough Rollers TMR-216

Jettkoral
Little People

Re: The Dough Rollers TMR-216

Post by Jettkoral »

What's wrong with the Black Keys, then? Just because Jack doesn't like Auerbach? Haha
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Kali Durga wrote:...over-polished blues/r&b sound.
I don't care who does or doesn't like each other, it's the sound of the music that's the determining factor. The Black Keys definitely make good music, I'm not saying they don't. It's just not music that appeals to me. I don't like BB King or Eric Clapton for the same reason. The music of the Black Keys and Gary Clarke Jr and BB King isn't the same, obviously, but my perception of all of it is. To my ears, it's too smooth, too polished. Good background music in a bar, but not something I'd buy and spend time listening to at home.

On topic, I obviously need to listen to more of the Dough Rollers than just their Blue Series in order to see whether my first impression of them would change or not.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Mick III
Little Acorn

Post by Mick III »

Jettkoral wrote:What's wrong with the Black Keys, then? Just because Jack doesn't like Auerbach? Haha
Why he doesn't like him ?
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

Mick III wrote:
Jettkoral wrote:What's wrong with the Black Keys, then? Just because Jack doesn't like Auerbach? Haha
Why he doesn't like him ?
Gooooooooooooooogle............. ;)
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

WHEN YOU SAY YOU DON'T LIKE BB IS WHERE I DRAW THEE LINE.
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
HadItUpTohere
Little Cream Soda

Post by HadItUpTohere »

I have never heard a black keys song and gone "damn thats good." I don't hate them as background noise. But no song I've ever heard them has ever actually interested me and made me want to seek out their other music.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

So no one's listened to the new Dough Rollers track playing at Rolling Stone? I finally pulled it up just now and then listened to their Blue Series tune again. They're definitely good, there's no denying that, but... I dunno. There's nothing in either tune that excites me, that grabs me and makes me want to hear more. They sound like every other blues-rock bar band I've ever heard. Oh well, at least I can say I gave 'em a second try.

Those of you who do like 'em, what is it that appeals to you?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."