TMR Live to Acetate - The Kills, Shins & Seasick Steve

flattop2001
Little Ghost

Re: TMR Live to Acetate - The Kills, Shins & Seasick Steve

Post by flattop2001 »

It's ok during songs correct.
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
Mick III
Little Acorn

Post by Mick III »

Ok thank you so much for your answers.
dreamover
Little Acorn

Post by dreamover »

my shins B&B has the label pressed about a half inch off center. keep forgetting to contact TMR for a replacement.
<Jack White> alright i'm out to feed my cats
=====================================
http://bit.ly/dreamovertl <--- my vinyl list
http://www.dreamoverrecords.com
jusgerw
Little Bird

Post by jusgerw »

So, is there any chance that you guys could rip the audio from these? I have The Shins' performance on black vinyl, and I really want to be able to listen to it on my phone and computer. But my turntable is an old Pioneer and isn't capable of ripping such things.

-jusgerw
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Received my Melvins B&B today. I believe the A side is direct to acetate and the B side is from the tape. The B Side has a catalog number inscription that includes RE1 meaning there was a recut. I specifically remember issues with the A-Side during cutting because the chip was getting tangled at the head and George had to brush it away a few times with a Q-Tip. Either way, sounds killer!
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

jusgerw wrote:So, is there any chance that you guys could rip the audio from these? I have The Shins' performance on black vinyl, and I really want to be able to listen to it on my phone and computer. But my turntable is an old Pioneer and isn't capable of ripping such things.

-jusgerw
Welcome aboard there, scout! Sharing copies of licensed music is a messy topic and a practice we treat gingerly here at the Swirl. For future reference you may want to restrict requests of this nature to PMs. Hang out a bit, make a few friends, and take it from there. I'm sure you'll settle in just fine.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
bkramer10
Little Ghost

Post by bkramer10 »

For jusgerw, and anyone else interested in ripping their records. James has it written out pretty well
jrfhoutx wrote:Vinyl rips are so ridiculously easy to do... download Audacity (it's free) and install it on your computer, run a cable from the headphone output of your receiver to the line or mic input of your computer (if you have a mic input but no line input, turn the input volume in audacity way down), drop the needle, hit record in audacity. at the end of a side, pause, stop your TT, flip the record, drop the needle, un-pause. stop it at the end and then edit out the lead in and lead out grooves and add in and name track markers, 'export multiple' to your preferred format...takes an extra 10-20 minutes on top of the LP run time.

only recommendations I have are:

1 - do this and adjust the volume output on your receiver so that the max on the VUmeter stays between -12 and -6 (you can use amplify later to increase the volume), then stop, start a new session and delete the old one, then drop the needle again at the beginning and hit record (this assures that you will not get any distortion or clipping).

2 - hit record, then pause, drop the needle, then un-pause (this keeps the big spike of the needle drop off of the VUMeter).

3 - use a good pair of headphones (something that won't color the audio too much and sounds very clean, I like a pair of Grado SR-60i for this) to monitor the recording (plug them into your computer's headphone jack).

4 - clean your vinyl and stylus before recording to minimize clicks and pops and surface noise as most click/pop and noise removal algorithms are terrible, and will always degrade the audio quality when removing clicks/pops/surface noise, and won't always completely remove what they're supposed to.

5- If you have a line output on your receiver and a line input on your computer (or soundcard) use that combination. If you don't have a line output available on your receiver, use the headphone output and volume control to adjust the output level going to your computer (whether it's line or mic input that you're using). If you don't have a line input on your computer/soundcard, then you'll have to use the mic input on your computer and the headphone output and volume control on your receiver. Just remember to turn down the level of the mic input in audacity or in your soundcard settings, or you can ruin the soundcard.

This really is extremely easy to do, and I do this with almost every album I buy (except some used ones that have too much surface noise or clicks/pops), even the ones that come with download cards and/or CDs, because my soundcard records at 24/192 and I can export straight to WAV and then convert to FLAC (for archiving) and Apple Lossless (for listening on my iPhone, and on my stereo through my Apple TV2 if I don't feel like actually getting out the record and dropping the needle, plus my wife prefers that to actually playing the records).
jusgerw
Little Bird

Post by jusgerw »

Cool! That's really helpful. Thanks! I'm gonna go try that now.
FredYidas
Little Bird

Post by FredYidas »

I've been looking for The Kills Live at Third Man for about 10 months, and it was always out of stock, but I checked the online store this morning and there it was! So if anyone else has been waiting for that one, now's your chance.
Juanjo
Little Cream Soda

Post by Juanjo »

FredYidas wrote:I've been looking for The Kills Live at Third Man for about 10 months, and it was always out of stock, but I checked the online store this morning and there it was! So if anyone else has been waiting for that one, now's your chance.
Thanks for the tip, was just looking for it in store last Friday to get the new Benjamin Booker and others to justify the postage but no luck, so I got it from another site. Luckily they had not dispatched it yet (think they were offering it even not having stock) so could cancel the order and got them in TMR.
This machine steals souls.