Sun Records Reissue Series

Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Re: Sun Records Reissue Series

Post by Kali Durga »

Quexzea wrote:The Roy is up! They are cool, but as a long time collector of SUN records, I hope they re-issue some of the more obscure stuff I could never find like they did with the Rufus Thomas and Prisonaires. FYI, not sure if it's been discussed, but RCA own the Elvis recordings, so I doubt TMR will get their hands on those.
As a brand new collector of Sun records, I agree with you. It was mildly surprising to see them do three singles at the same time by one artist, I had let myself expect that each reissue release would be three artists. But can't complain about Roy, I'm really enjoying becoming more familiar with his voice.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
cwja
Little Ghost

Post by cwja »

Harper Valley PTA. Make it happen TMR.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Finally got a chance to sit down and listen to the three new Orbison reissues. I wish I could say I love 'em. I'm not very familiar with Roy's catalog at all, much less his Sun singles, but I'm very curious why TMR chose these.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Kali Durga wrote:Finally got a chance to sit down and listen to the three new Orbison reissues. I wish I could say I love 'em. I'm not very familiar with Roy's catalog at all, much less his Sun singles, but I'm very curious why TMR chose these.
Check out the old DVD or Blu Ray with Roy Orbison Live with many of the great musicians from the times.

It's called Black and White Night.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Thanks for the recommendation, Woody. Have you picked up these three TMR reissues?
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

I don't think Sam Phillips really new what to do with Roy. He tried to push him to write rockabilly style, which wasn't Roy's forte. Only "Devi Doll" from the four Sun sides hints at what he would do later on, although I can listen to Roy sing pretty much anything. Other than putting all four Orbison Sun singles back on the catalog, I don't know why TMR would release these in a single push.

The singles on the Monument label (collected on an LP/CD recently) and Roy's final album, "Mystery Girl" blow the Sun titles out of the water IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/Roy-Orbison-Monum ... ewpoints=0
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Ooby Dooby is the only one of these six tunes that grabbed my attention at all. I'd heard that before, about how Orbison ended up going in a totally different direction from the songs he did with Sun. Interesting. Makes me even more curious what TMR's thought process is behind this series. Rufus Thomas and D.A. Hunt are my favorites so far, love the heck out of Bear Cat and Greyhound Blues.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Swank told me at sxsw he pushed for all 3 Roy's there since it was his home state or something to that effect.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Kali Durga wrote:Thanks for the recommendation, Woody. Have you picked up these three TMR reissues?
Yes a friend traded with me the sun rays from Texas for something I had. I think I have all the sunrays now.

The video I spoke of is later in Roy's career. It's one of the best videos of a live show I've seen .... Ever !
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Ordered the Orbison bundle and got these with my package. Pretty cool.

Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I was just thinking about this series the other day and wondering when/if there might be more of it. I didn't love the last three Orbison ones, but am very curious to see what comes next.
koala
Little Acorn

Post by koala »

I'm curious to find out what other 2 singles will they team with the Elvis single.
I have yet to buy the previous reissues though. I keep forgetting!
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Elvis single...? Are you thinking the remastered My Happiness 45 is going to be issued as part of this series?
icdvet
Little Ghost

Post by icdvet »

I have been pondering the Elvis Sun singles - how easy is it going to be for TMR to license those? I would imagine it must cost a bomb. But I would love to get them.
Dear NSA, I hope that you enjoy this post.
koala
Little Acorn

Post by koala »

Kali Durga wrote:Elvis single...? Are you thinking the remastered My Happiness 45 is going to be issued as part of this series?
I assumed so because of the cover art