TMR - 222 - Great Gatsby Soundtrack on TMR

mushmouth
Little Cream Soda

Re: TMR - 222 - Great Gatsby Soundtrack on TMR

Post by mushmouth »

mojoryan wrote: I disagree regarding the clarity of there being one sleeve; look at the image on the TMR site showing two sleeves- one black, one natural wood- in the same shot.
I do agree that this makes two misses; the other bei g the LFR. In both cases, what makes them misses, is that there was a lack of clarity/shadiness.
This.

And for the record, since I ordered this and this is my perspective, I watched both videos like 50 times. I thought they were assembling a light box... Then showing a black box being painted. In no way did those videos show clear proof there was only one sleeve. And their only full product shot didn't help with the confusion

Hindsight is always 20/20. "Oh it was SO obvious." :D How many people in this thread who actually BOUGHT it imagined displaying it on a shelf or something side by side? I did... Show of hands?
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

I was definitely looking forward to displaying them side by side. Now I have to go out and get a custom frame since I can't display them inside the sleeves which is sad
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

rietveld wrote:
dunedin wrote:Did anyone receive the black vinyl version yet? I haven't had shipping confirmation and I'm going out of town today. I knew I shouldn't have bundled with the Sun 45s. :(
There's a week's delay on the black vinyl version, there's a notice on the item details in the store. Its still shown as pre- order on there too.
Thanks for the reply. Missed that.
rietveld
Little Bird

Post by rietveld »

dunedin wrote:
rietveld wrote:
dunedin wrote:Did anyone receive the black vinyl version yet? I haven't had shipping confirmation and I'm going out of town today. I knew I shouldn't have bundled with the Sun 45s. :(
There's a week's delay on the black vinyl version, there's a notice on the item details in the store. Its still shown as pre- order on there too.
Thanks for the reply. Missed that.

No problem. There's a further delay been announced via email too, delayed till 25th! The DVD will probably be out before I receive the soundtrack here in the UK! :roll:
"Yeah, I look nothing like the kids in the videos"
A1004
dbottic
Little Bird

Post by dbottic »

Long time reader, almost never poster...

I spent some time out of the country, so I just got to open mine up last night & I love it. I expected one wooden sleeve, the bonus gloves were a funny surprise, and records are just as shiny as I thought they'd be.

I wanted to pre-order the album (as I, like many, feel a unique affinity towards this project, but will spare you my long story) when Target first announced their pre-order offer, but since Target wasn't jiving with vinyl, I decided to wait it out. Obviously, when I caught wind of the TMR vinyl release, I was excited and carpe-ed that diem on the spot.

I don't buy every novelty TMR puts out, but I work a lot and save a lot and will treat myself to a bauble on occasion, especially when the aforementioned affinity strikes. That said, I believe that things with a purpose should achieve that purpose at least a few times. We could debate the aesthetic and philosophical aspects of that ad nauseam, as I have frequently with my close, personal audiophile/vinyl guru. My LFR lives it's life on my vertical turntable and gets occassional spins when the mood strikes, though I have encountered none of the leak-related problems experienced by others. I've experienced no problems of any kind. May I add that I continue to find it perfectly and serendipitously wonderful that I got soaking wet waiting to buy a liquid filled record. To quote the aforementioned guru, that kind of shit is my bread and butter. Which leads me to...

I donned my gloves and spun both sides of gold and both sides of platinum last night and I thought they sounded fantastic.

As for where they will live, I haven't had enough time to mull it over completely, but my current thoughts are following TMR's instructions (posted via someone's email on the forum there) that the inserts sandwiched betwixt the two records will be put into the wooden case, then seran wrapped to keep out the dust. I'm thinking from there I'm going to prop it up on the wall, flipping occassionally to display one side at a time, depending entirely on the weather. I should be able to seran wrap it such that the display side looks fairly invisible and the bunchy-extra-seran-wrap side is the side facing the wall. When I flip it, I'll re-wrap. Again, I've got to give all of that more thought.

I know I will spin them again, but I'm a big Art Deco fan and saw this as much as an art purchase as a musical one. I have a black vinyl coming for my heavy rotation needs.

Sorry for the long post...shows you why I almost never do at all, but I thought I'd share.

Thank you all for the information you've allowed me to glean over the years.
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

dbottic wrote:
As for where they will live, I haven't had enough time to mull it over completely, but my current thoughts are following TMR's instructions (posted via someone's email on the forum there) that the inserts sandwiched betwixt the two records will be put into the wooden case, then seran wrapped to keep out the dust. I'm thinking from there I'm going to prop it up on the wall, flipping occassionally to display one side at a time, depending entirely on the weather. I should be able to seran wrap it such that the display side looks fairly invisible and the bunchy-extra-seran-wrap side is the side facing the wall. When I flip it, I'll re-wrap. Again, I've got to give all of that more thought.

I know I will spin them again, but I'm a big Art Deco fan and saw this as much as an art purchase as a musical one. I have a black vinyl coming for my heavy rotation needs.

Sorry for the long post...shows you why I almost never do at all, but I thought I'd share.

Thank you all for the information you've allowed me to glean over the years.
I missed that email. But a friend of mine posted this picture on my bookface wall. It's at a local record store. It looks like it's wrapped that way, but the inserts are on the outside:

Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

dbottic wrote:May I add that I continue to find it perfectly and serendipitously wonderful that I got soaking wet waiting to buy a liquid filled record.
Nothing to do with Gatsby, but I loved this ^^
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Kali Durga wrote:
dbottic wrote:May I add that I continue to find it perfectly and serendipitously wonderful that I got soaking wet waiting to buy a liquid filled record.
Nothing to do with Gatsby, but I loved this ^^
Haha I also found that quite amusing and ironic. Wouldn't have had my experience any other way though.
mushmouth
Little Cream Soda

Post by mushmouth »

I just received an email from my gatsby buyer that said "I thought there were supposed to be two wood sleeves in here?"

I guess it was crystal clear that there was only one included. :roll:
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

I received my shipping notification for the black vinyl LP last night. :D
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

bkramer10
Little Ghost

Post by bkramer10 »

Are they selling the metal ones to stores now? Saw a link to this on FB posted about 7pm today. Suggested $300 price

http://www.urpdist.com/active/onesheets/fb093013.html
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

bkramer10 wrote:Are they selling the metal ones to stores now? Saw a link to this on FB posted about 7pm today. Suggested $300 price

http://www.urpdist.com/active/onesheets/fb093013.html
The picture that I posted a few posts back was taken in a local record store.
Kaber
Little People

Post by Kaber »

shteev
Little Ghost

Post by shteev »

holy shit that is a high price.
I could be wronga,,,I could be rright.