TMR- 179 - Gibby Haynes - Paul's Not Home (7" Vinyl)

Jettkoral
Little People

Re: TMR- 179 - Gibby Haynes - Paul's Not Home (7" Vinyl)

Post by Jettkoral »

Didn't get my single yet. Downloaded off iTunes in the meantime.
I hate Paul's Not Home in comparison to the other two. Smart is the best song on there IMO. Reminds me of the Surfers.
sandmaniac3
Little Acorn

Post by sandmaniac3 »

Still waiting here too. I hope it comes today. I really want to hear it!
Has everything you said today been true?
ymagirl
Little Cream Soda

Post by ymagirl »

I absolutely love this 7", I can't wait to chase that RRS around for a flexi.
sandmaniac3
Little Acorn

Post by sandmaniac3 »

i like it better now that ive heard the whole thing. but no time for a second listen tonight, off to see willy moon!
Has everything you said today been true?
hxcoliver
Little Acorn

Post by hxcoliver »

Kali Durga wrote:Other folks would have to confirm this, but as far as I know the only time you can get a limited edition at a regular record shop is when TMR announces that they're doing a release at one.

Oops, I owe hxcoliver a Coke.
Haha yeah you do!
I'll take some Jack in it
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

hxcoliver wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:Oops, I owe hxcoliver a Coke.
Haha yeah you do!
I'll take some Jack in it
Considering our lack of proximity, this will have to do--

I want to hear the guitar solo on this single, but I don't know how often I'd actually spin the record just for a solo (Edit: Realized that sounds disrespectful to Gibby, but it's not intended that way. I'm just not into this style of music these days) . I hope they have some other new Blue Series in the pipeline, so I can maybe order this one along with some other stuff.
Last edited by Kali Durga on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
TheHen0
Little Ghost

Post by TheHen0 »

^^^ Anyone know who the backing band on that track was?
Moller72
Little Ghost

Post by Moller72 »

TheHen0 wrote:^^^ Anyone know who the backing band on that track was?
From what I remember Ben swank on drums and jack on guitar.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Kali Durga wrote:I want to hear the guitar solo on this single, but I don't know how often I'd actually spin the record just for a solo (Edit: Realized that sounds disrespectful to Gibby, but it's not intended that way. I'm just not into this style of music these days) . I hope they have some other new Blue Series in the pipeline, so I can maybe order this one along with some other stuff.
Ok, downloaded the tracks this morning, listened, and am willing to admit that my resistance was a bit ignorant. Good stuff. Didn't overwhelm me enough to ever make my Top 5 Blue Series list, but definitely worth adding the 7" to my next TMR order.

Though as much as Jack might hate to hear it, his contribution is really what elevates these songs for me. They'd be fun without him, but nowhere near as charged. I feel the same way about the Secret Sisters Blue Series-- Gorgeous voices, but his guitar accompaniment is what sets those songs on fire. Of the Blue Series tracks I've listened to that include his playing, I think Dex and Seasick are the only ones that'd still blow my socks off without him. He needs to just admit that sometimes his accompaniment is necessary. Gibby was smart to want him all over this.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
2crazikids
Little Acorn

Post by 2crazikids »

Kali Durga wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:I want to hear the guitar solo on this single, but I don't know how often I'd actually spin the record just for a solo (Edit: Realized that sounds disrespectful to Gibby, but it's not intended that way. I'm just not into this style of music these days) . I hope they have some other new Blue Series in the pipeline, so I can maybe order this one along with some other stuff.
Ok, downloaded the tracks this morning, listened, and am willing to admit that my resistance was a bit ignorant. Good stuff. Didn't overwhelm me enough to ever make my Top 5 Blue Series list, but definitely worth adding the 7" to my next TMR order.

Though as much as Jack might hate to hear it, his contribution is really what elevates these songs for me. They'd be fun without him, but nowhere near as charged. I feel the same way about the Secret Sisters Blue Series-- Gorgeous voices, but his guitar accompaniment is what sets those songs on fire. Of the Blue Series tracks I've listened to that include his playing, I think Dex and Seasick are the only ones that'd still blow my socks off without him. He needs to just admit that sometimes his accompaniment is necessary. Gibby was smart to want him all over this.
I agree completely. But I love, love, love the solo on Horse Named George. Jack gave it to us good. I would LOVE a full album with these clowns.
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

I really enjoyed the songs of this release.
And even though i am not a fun of that kind of silliniess i laugh everytime i listen to the Paul Song :lol:
Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

2crazikids wrote: I love, love, love the solo on Horse Named George. Jack gave it to us good.
Everyone else is crazy about that guitar solo but, wacky as it sounds, I think I prefer the brief, simple one on Paul's Not Home because it's the complete opposite of what we've come to expect from Jack and it's just rip-snorting, balls-to-the-wall punk.
trickster wrote:And even though i am not a fun of that kind of silliniess i laugh everytime i listen to the Paul Song :lol:
I didn't expect to like this song, either, but I put it on repeat in the car during yesterday morning's commute and laughed my head off. People in the cars around me must've thought I was nuts. The "duet" between Jack and Gibby at the end is brilliant.

Gotta remember to trust these guys and not get caught up in what I think I may or may not like...
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

This single is awesome.
Love all of the tracks, only thing wrong with it is that there isn't enough.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Just posted on Twitter (and I'm double-posting here in case folks miss it in the RRS thread)--
Hi all! We'll be open for business at Waterloo Records at 11AM. Our exclusive for today: Gibby Haynes FLEX-RAY DISC!
Hamptonio
Little Ghost

Post by Hamptonio »

the TMR catalogue is listing this one as only 100 pressed.
wowee zowee.
<JackWhite> Hamptonio: yes, and tell the lovely wife that i really love the pot pie recipe. i can't get enough LOL! anyway, let me know when you get that package of test pressings i sent you.