school choirs recording at TMR

mojoryan
Little People

Re: school choirs recording at TMR

Post by mojoryan »

NotACollector wrote:Hahaha y'all won't be able to get all the records now! Boohooo.
Ummm...tongue in cheek? Another rat among us? Great second post, either way.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
cwja
Little Ghost

Post by cwja »

NotACollector wrote:Hahaha y'all won't be able to get all the records now! Boohooo.
Challenge accepted!
Grimtale
Little People

Post by Grimtale »

For the record, this completist won't be chasing these. End of the road for me...
Grim
I am everything you hate...
Grimtale
Little People

Post by Grimtale »

Oh yeah,
Awesome move by TMR though!! Hats off to them.
Grim
I am everything you hate...
jrfhoutx
Flipper

Post by jrfhoutx »

mojoryan wrote:
jrfhoutx wrote:
mojoryan wrote:
jrfhoutx wrote:well then, I'm sorry and I feel sad for you. I never would have played an instrument had it not been for band in school (played sax in school, learned guitar on my own). wtf kind of school has absolutely no music programs at all? I know the education system has turned to crap in the last 15 years, but has school really gotten that bad that they are completely cutting out music programs?
I won't get into just how fucking ugly it is, but funding for the arts AND sports are the first things to go within federally funded schools thanks to that jackwagon W and his unfunded No School Left Behind bullshit. My wife is an educator at a school where my son also attends, and they have an outstanding arts program: if they were to slip according to bullshit guidelines that have been made a precedent, they too could lose it.

I am curious: why did you die just a little seeing her hold it?

that sucks, believe me I understand the horrors left behind in the wake of GWB, I live in Texas...

Why? fingerprints... I have some albums that have been boxed for the last 15 years or so that I've been going through and cleaning, and quite often the second you pull the record out of the sleeve, you can see the fingerprints... and it takes several washings to get them off completely, but even then sometimes they just never come out of the grooves...
:lol:
Excellent!
Grim has an excellent system. I think there may either be a thread dedicated to it, or at the very least, it's mentioned somewhere on the boards.
I have some I desperately need to clean, and have been meaning to ask him about that very thing.

My condolences for the Texas Ed situation.
I've talked to Grim about it a bit, and seen his method over at AudioKarma, and my method is fairly similar, but it still doesn't always get everything (though I have tried the wood glue method, and while it works, sometimes I just don't have 16 hours to spend to clean one record), especially 20 year old fingerprints... I like cleaning records, it's very satisfying to bring home that gross looking goodwill find, clean it off and find that afterwards it looks almost brand new and sounds it too...

haven't been in the TX ed system since 1990, but my sister is a teacher here (not music, though she coaches 3 of the girls sports teams) and I hear all kinds of horror stories...

to bring this back on topic though, I'm going to mention this program to her next time I see her, maybe she can mention it to the music director and their music program might be interested in it...
"They were a garage band on Sympathy?! Who knew?" -- EVM
ISO/FS/FT
FLANAGAN, YARRGH!!!
Douchebag Thief
tanzaib
Little Ghost

Post by tanzaib »

Grimtale wrote:For the record, this completist won't be chasing these. End of the road for me...
Grim
+1
<tanzaib> any news on vault 26
<Jack White> @tanzaib cass corridor looming large in all of our lives around here
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Grimtale wrote:For the record, this completist won't be chasing these. End of the road for me...
Grim
Yeah, something seems very wrong about trying to track down all of these. Let the kids have their fun.
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

tanzaib wrote:
Grim
+1
+2 although I think they lost me with Duane to be honest. And yes this is the coolest thing I have heard of a record store doing, I would think they will start some kind of numbering system specific to these, also thinking this might be what the record pressing equipment mentioned a while back could be used for. Runs will be real small and the labels look like they will be generic with handwritten details so doubt URP will want to want to deal with that stuff.
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

As a teacher in the Nashville area, I think this is totally killer. I have watched my school music program dwindle, though it is still going strong. It's mainly a matter of jobs being cut right now, but when the jobs get cut then the programs follow. We used to have 2 dedicated music directors. Now we have 1 1/2...whatever the @#$ that means. The "1/2" of a teacher has to drive across the county to become a whole teacher at another school.

Anyway, I guess my point is that the private sector is going to have to get involved if we want to enrich our youth, because the current system cuts money for programs and is currently way more focused on the 20 students that refuse to learn or refuse to come to school, not the hundreds that have the potential to become life-long learners, outstanding citizens, and well-rounded human beings. Kudos to TMR for picking up the slack.
Hyperbole used for effect!
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

mangry wrote:As a teacher in the Nashville area, I think this is totally killer. I have watched my school music program dwindle, though it is still going strong. It's mainly a matter of jobs being cut right now, but when the jobs get cut then the programs follow. We used to have 2 dedicated music directors. Now we have 1 1/2...whatever the @#$ that means. The "1/2" of a teacher has to drive across the county to become a whole teacher at another school.

Anyway, I guess my point is that the private sector is going to have to get involved if we want to enrich our youth, because the current system cuts money for programs and is currently way more focused on the 20 students that refuse to learn or refuse to come to school, not the hundreds that have the potential to become life-long learners, outstanding citizens, and well-rounded human beings. Kudos to TMR for picking up the slack.
not to mention, if you listen to any of the republican candidates, nearly 100% of any teacher's time is dedicated to trying to educate all the illlegal alien's kids in our school systems, so the teachers have almost no time to educate little sally and johnny.
he is everything i hate...
kalv04
Little Acorn

Post by kalv04 »

elduderino wrote:
mangry wrote:As a teacher in the Nashville area, I think this is totally killer. I have watched my school music program dwindle, though it is still going strong. It's mainly a matter of jobs being cut right now, but when the jobs get cut then the programs follow. We used to have 2 dedicated music directors. Now we have 1 1/2...whatever the @#$ that means. The "1/2" of a teacher has to drive across the county to become a whole teacher at another school.

not to mention, if you listen to any of the republican candidates, nearly 100% of any teacher's time is dedicated to trying to educate all the illlegal alien's kids in our school systems, so the teachers have almost no time to educate little sally and johnny.
El boofo!
"Bye Snookums!" -nickboat
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

I predict: TMR will auction 10 or 20 copies of each release, and put that money back into the program.

And if they haven't thought of that idea yet, © 2012 by Wood Is Good.
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
JohnC
Little Ghost

Post by JohnC »

Gotta love TMR .
http://hhhancock.tumblr.com

ISO :
Action Bronson - LP's , 7"s etc !
Supercute/Dum Dum Girls - Rookie Tunes Flexi.
Tina Trachtenburg "Rachel" doll
jrfhoutx
Flipper

Post by jrfhoutx »

mangry wrote:Anyway, I guess my point is that the private sector is going to have to get involved if we want to enrich our youth, because the current system cuts money for programs and is currently way more focused on the 20 students that refuse to learn or refuse to come to school, not the hundreds that have the potential to become life-long learners, outstanding citizens, and well-rounded human beings. Kudos to TMR for picking up the slack.
or you know, just close tax loopholes for corporate america, spend less on defense funding, legalize and tax herb, and expand work visa programs and tax those workers like other countrys do, and stop worrying about measuring school performance based on irrellevant standardized testing that they spend the whole year prepping kids for instead of actually teaching them something (like how to think for themselves), and then maybe they could fund schooling and actually teach kids... and pay teachers what they should actually be making...
"They were a garage band on Sympathy?! Who knew?" -- EVM
ISO/FS/FT
FLANAGAN, YARRGH!!!
Douchebag Thief
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

jrfhoutx wrote:
mangry wrote:Anyway, I guess my point is that the private sector is going to have to get involved if we want to enrich our youth, because the current system cuts money for programs and is currently way more focused on the 20 students that refuse to learn or refuse to come to school, not the hundreds that have the potential to become life-long learners, outstanding citizens, and well-rounded human beings. Kudos to TMR for picking up the slack.
or you know, just close tax loopholes for corporate america, spend less on defense funding, legalize and tax herb, and expand work visa programs and tax those workers like other countrys do, and stop worrying about measuring school performance based on irrellevant standardized testing that they spend the whole year prepping kids for instead of actually teaching them something (like how to think for themselves), and then maybe they could fund schooling and actually teach kids... and pay teachers what they should actually be making...
HELL yes! Ok, wasn't going to get TOO into this (it tends to be quite an emotional topic for a place such as this...but)
In Ohio Social Studies is a class not under the scrutiny of standardized testing. As such, my wife- being a 7th Social Studies teacher- is able to encourage free-thinking, and does, in all she teaches. Yeah...she's kinda my hero. She changes lives. That certainly merits higher pay than any teacher receives. Things are quite bass-ackwards in the States wherein education is concerned.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5